• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Thumbnail Feedback I want my Thumbnails to stand out whatever they're viewed on.

Alby Tastic

THUMB 1.jpg

It took me a while to come up with an eye catching design because it also needed to stand out even when viewed on a smartphone.
I use a really old photo editor but it has the ability to create macros, so I've been able to automate creating my thumbnails.
I can change the backgrounds, words, foreground really quickly and so try out various thumbnails to see which one works the best.

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Personally I would find the text easier to read if it wasn't slanted. Yellow is eye-catching which is good but maybe add some form of imagery as well as the text

liftoffvideo

liftoffvideo.com
Subscriber Goal
Agree with Kindred, here's a quick mockup as an example ...

thumb mockup for tubebuddy 01.jpg

I chose a random computer pic, reversed a couple of the text/background colors and increased the size diff on the 1st line, also dropped your 4th line and the author/channel line.

Thoughts?

You can check out Andrew Kan's thumbs, I think his are great or Nick Nimmin's or a favorite of mine is Primal Video

*not affiliated to any of the above and they do not know me at all - yet;)

Legacy

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
IΓÇÖd also like to point out that the subscribe logo on your thumbnail would be covered up by the timestamp so it wonΓÇÖt be able to be seen. IΓÇÖd always try to limit text on thumbnails so there isnΓÇÖt too much going on. If you want to have your channel name in the thumbnail somewhere I would at least remove the ΓÇ£byΓÇ¥ part and move the channel name to the bottom left of the thumbnail and shrink the font. This way, the channel name is still on the thumbnail and would prevent people from stealing the thumbnail without doing some cropping but it wouldnΓÇÖt be the main focus of the thumbnail either.
What I always go by is that people always either look at the middle first, or whatever is eye level to them so I would unslant the text like the poster above me said to do too.

HenryBR

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
You're on the right track. However, besides not having the text slanted as the others have suggested. I recommend removing the highlight from all of the text and instead just add text color to the text.

OP
OP
Alby Tastic

Alby Tastic

Personally I would find the text easier to read if it wasn't slanted. Yellow is eye-catching which is good but maybe add some form of imagery as well as the text
Thanks for that, I'll look into those suggestions.
The image in the background is actually a Z800 and I put the B/G OOF to make the text stand out.
This was the first Video I put on YT 2 years ago and it still gets about 30 views a day.

OP
OP
Alby Tastic

Alby Tastic

You're on the right track. However, besides not having the text slanted as the others have suggested. I recommend removing the highlight from all of the text and instead just add text color to the text.
Thanks for that, I'm always exploring different options, the reason I chose that particular arrangement is because it really pops on a smartphone, and since about 70% of people now watch YT on their phones I thought it would help.

amywhite

If you want your thumbnail to stand out from the crowd, create an eye-catching YouTube thumbnail. The concept of YouTube Thumbnails is pretty similar. It's the little cover we use for our YouTube videos, and it's up to the viewer whether or not to click on it. The logic is obvious. If your YouTube thumbnail models aren't impressive enough, they'll scroll. But don't worry, by using YouTube thumbnail maker, you can easily create Your YouTube thumbnail design!

Check out some of the unique thumbnail channel I followed, guide us on how to create YouTube thumbnails in just 5 minutes.

PhotoADKing

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB6LH3vT3eg

Last edited by a moderator:

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Just a reminder, there is nothing wrong with linking to other channel's content on YouTube if it may help other members, but providing links to other products and services is against the forum rules. We don't have the ability to validate the legitimacy of those products and services and will remove the link. If you continue to post it, we will have to ban you from the forum.

Reactions: amywhite