• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion What are your thoughts on commenting on competitor video comment feeds?

Randomlifestylevlog

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
What are your thoughts on commenting on competitor video comment feeds? I am curious because it could be a good way of getting some traffic? However, it would come down to what you comment I suppose?

I wouldn't directly say here is our video or join our channel because personally, I think that puts you in bad light! What are your thoughts?

HenryBR

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
That's one approach of getting traffic. Personally I see nothing wrong with this approach. If your competitor's content is similar to yours then I assume such audience will also like your content. Then again it also depends on how you deliver such content. And if you network with such competitors, then not just you but perhaps the both of you will have something to gain. Be it more views and/or more subscribers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Randomlifestylevlog

KS Moto Cafe

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
For me, there are many other motovlogger channels out there that I am in competition with but the community is very tight that we tend to comment on each other's videos and join the premieres whenever possible. So yes, I comment a lot to my competitor's videos but it is to support them and in return they do the same and sometimes bring along few more subscribers from their channel.

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I really admire my competitors and get excited to communicate with them. They inspire me and give me ideas so I like to comment and put myself out there / interact

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Depends on your intent, and also how you're interacting in the comments. If you're appreciating the other person's video, then are they really a competitor? Or are they simply someone in your niche that you can build a friendship and possible collaborations and community with in the future?

If you're in their comments responding to OTHER people's comments, in my opinion that's tacky and poor form.

The fact you call them "competitors" is slightly telling, but then again, that just might be the word some use for "others in my niche"

Just know that the videos you're commenting on, they WILL see, so if your heart is in the right place, they will know this and appreciate you and potentially reach out at some point, or at the very least appreciate you being part of their community. But if you have alterior motives, they can usually see that. I've had a number of people try to "poach" my viewers away from my videos which is pretty shady behaviour. HOWEVER, there are some pretty established artists in my comments who genuinely like hanging out with me and chatting. I have absolutely no issue giving them shoutouts and integrating with them because they put the human factor before the "growth" factor. You always rember those who just want to connect, and who only want something to benefit them, even if that benefit is self publicity.