• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Words that will lose you money - what to do if the subject you are covering will get the video demonetized?

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Best Option for Demonetised words and subjects

IΓÇÖm working on a series of videos that cover things like paedophiles, killers, thieves, etc

The videos are part documentary and part commentary

I would presume that the videos will probably be demonetised, grr

I donΓÇÖt get how commentary or drama channels operate on the platform?

Anyone else had any experience of this, or any advice.

I presume if I put the word Paedophile in the title or on the thumbnail it will be instantly demonetised. I also presume that if I say the word in the video, and am discussing someone who has committed that crime, it will be demonised anyway. What about if the video is about a serial killer ΓÇô is that the same?

Am I better off marking the videos not suitable to be monetised from the start?

If you have your own ΓÇÿwar storiesΓÇÖ on the subject ΓÇô I would like to hear/learn from them

Thanks

Bulltahr

Motorcycles, since the 80's......
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Make what you want to make, don't let all the censorship kill your creativity, just don't deliberately break their TOS. What's more important, your message or a few bucks that you may get from YT?

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Make what you want to make, don't let all the censorship kill your creativity, just don't deliberately break their TOS. What's more important, your message or a few bucks that you may get from YT?
Great answer, and my thoughts exactly.

I personally don't like the idea of making money off tragedy and serious topics anyway, and the idea that people are more concerned about how much money they will make or lose, vs telling an important story, concerns me sometimes.

I donΓÇÖt get how commentary or drama channels operate on the platform?

Am I better off marking the videos not suitable to be monetised from the start?
Generally commentary channels will either have brand deals with companies, or they'll sell merchandise.

Roomie Official, who's a channel who comments on music, is always getting his content copyright claim even though what he does is fair use. To get around that, he has his own merchandise like. And despite popular belief, you DON'T have to have a monetised channel to have your own merchandise site. I had a merchandise site long before the "merch shelf" was a thing.

There are also brands who don't mind working with creators who do content on darker less brand friendly content. There's brands who deal with horror, you could possibly go with Audible who would have books on sensitive topics such as war and such. You just need to be creative in thinking which brands would be suitable to deal with that cover those topics themselves, and see if they will sponsor your content on those topics.

I always had an issue with the way YouTube blankets the monetisation and "not suitable for all advertisers" and doesn't allow the advertiser themselves to choose. But understandably some advertisers DON'T want their brand advertised at the start of war videos, but there are those (audible, history companies etc) who would be fine so long as you label your videos correctly.

You can mark that your video has sensitive topics, violence etc in your settings, and while yes, it will cut you off from a lot of monetisation, you might still find some brands who will monetise on those videos, but it will be significantly less. And that's understandable.

You just have to decide what's more important to you. Making money, or telling an important story.