• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Be mindful of your social strategy and social interactions off platform and how they effect your dislikes

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been reading and seeing a lot about online bullying and people attacking channels through dislikes and wondering WHY it happens.

I've been trying to be incredibly mindful about my interactions outside of my channel. Every single thing I say, links back to my channel. Do I have a strong political opinion that I want to vent on Twitter? Chances are there will be an opposing view that maybe someone won't respond with, but they WILL see I have a channel linked in my bio, and they WILL come over to my channel simply to dislike my videos.

I've had interactions with people I've disagreed with and been tempted to check out their channels just to dislike because I strongly disagreed with their viewpoints (mostly their bigotry) , but when I step back and ask myself if disliking someone's video that I dislike is really benefiting my own mental energy. I decide to leave and focus on my own content.

But realising that not everyone approaches things the same way, and maybe you said something someone didn't like OFF your channel, and they decided to let you know they don't like you by disliking a bunch of your videos. This fact makes me more considerate of what I say, and how it will effect my channel.

We don't always get along with everyone. Not everyone will like you. Plenty of people have thought that I was an idiot, or a nerd, or annoying... I do annoy a LOT of people lol! And depending on your social interactions, the arguments you get into, your potential unpopular viewpoints regardless of what side of the political spectrum you fall on, everything you say is a potential link back to your channel, and every person you anger, weather unintentional, or intentional, opens the doorway to potential unwanted comments, or unwanted dislikes on your channel.

Is it right? No, but "facts don't care about your feelings" and the facts are, not everyone out there cares about your feelings, that's unfortunately the reality of life.

Phycology has always fascinated me. So every time I'm about to respond to someone else's posts, or every time I'm about to say something that might potentially upset someone in these deeply turbulent political times, I ask myself... is this minute of ranting worth the potential weeks worth of pain at the hands of angry trolls.

People rarely think about this and I wanted to point this out to make you think about how you interact with those outside of your channel, and how your interactions can positively, and NEGETIVELY impact your channel. If you don't care, power to you, but if you do care, be mindful of how you conduct yourself.

Reactions: tropicthunder

tropicthunder

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
You're right Beanie. Also when your channel is still small and a long way to go, when you want to comment on someone else videos, be mindful too. You'll someday forget that you're commenting on those videos, and by the time your channel grow and you have that verified icon on your channel name, your old comments on those videos, will be place at the top comment.

Reactions: Beanie Draws
OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
You're right Beanie. Also when your channel is still small and a long way to go, when you want to comment on someone else videos, be mindful too. You'll someday forget that you're commenting on those videos, and by the time your channel grow and you have that verified icon on your channel name, your old comments on those videos, will be place at the top comment.
Very good point there! I left some silly comments on a MrBeast video years ago, and it's a lot harder to find the comments you've left on other people's videos.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
This is very well-said and something many people need to hear. I'll echo one point and add a second.

I have watched multiple people I know have channels brigaded and destroyed to the point where there was little chance of recovering. In all cases it came from arguing with, or in once case picking a fight with people on social media. The Internet has a long memory, and these things return to haunt. As they saying goes, "never underestimate the power of idiots in large groups".

I would add this - the most boring thing in the world is something designed to appeal to everyone. Negative comments and down votes are a good sign. People are engaging and taking the time to disagree. The work is in finding that healthy balance between bland and controversial. A little goes a long way.