• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Warning, Shorts are a double edged sword

Nobull

Subscriber Goal
Good morning everyone!
I just wanted to share an observation I had while test-watching a newly published video of mine, on another account.

Over the past few weeks I have published some Shorts (relevant to my channel niche) which have accumulated a few thousand views each. Sounds awesome, right? Of course it does!

The potential problem is, one of those shorts managed to end up getting recommended at the end of my new, regular video. I see it as a problem because viewers are more than likely going to be clicking away from a Shorts video if they are binge-watching my content, where in reality I want YouTube to be recommending just my regular gameplay videos.

As a result, I more than likely will be unlisting those shorts (provided my channel doesn't lose the views) and will cease to make Shorts for the time being.

I hope this insight is of help to anyone thinking of producing Shorts.
Nobull.

tropicthunder

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Weird enough, my shorts only have 11 views lol, I know a lot of people says it's easy to get view with it, I guess I'm not lucky enough.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
The potential problem is, one of those shorts managed to end up getting recommended at the end of my new, regular video.

First of all, how did you discover this? Was this through your analytics of your traffic sources? Or were you watching your own video and saw your shorts were recommended on it. If you weren't in incognito mode or signed out, YouTube will be biased in what it recommends to you, but also, I don't see this as a problem on face value.

I see it as a problem because viewers are more than likely going to be clicking away from a Shorts video if they are binge-watching my content

What makes you think this? Other than gut feelings, do you have any data that shows shorts leads to sessions ends? I would have thought if your audience is binge watching, they'll watch the content regardless of the format so long as it's on brand.

That said, I get people do it for consistency of their content and don't always want to mix up regular content with shorts. But I don't see how shorts will lead to session ends. I'd love to see what others think about this because it's definitely an interesting discussion with how early on shorts are in this journey.

Reactions: Damon

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Shorts are good for the views and subs but those subs don't really transfer over to your normal length content, so yeah
I need to read a lot more into the traffic information about shorts before I can come to this kind of conclusion. Especially considering a new subscriber realistically isn't going to watch every single one of your videos once subscribing anyway. I'd have to see if there's any real data/analytics that links flow on effect from shorts to full length videos, as at the moment I still believe YouTube treats videos on an individual basis, but they will RECOMMEND your other videos if you use end cards and such.

But indeed, if people are more interested in short form content, they may skip past a long form video, but that's just my gut feeling, but feelings don't mean anything without any data to back up those theories. At the end of the day they're still theories right now until we have enough data to prove audiences separate one from the other with their viewing habits.

nate polmateer

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
Good morning everyone!
I just wanted to share an observation I had while test-watching a newly published video of mine, on another account.

Over the past few weeks I have published some Shorts (relevant to my channel niche) which have accumulated a few thousand views each. Sounds awesome, right? Of course it does!

The potential problem is, one of those shorts managed to end up getting recommended at the end of my new, regular video. I see it as a problem because viewers are more than likely going to be clicking away from a Shorts video if they are binge-watching my content, where in reality I want YouTube to be recommending just my regular gameplay videos.

As a result, I more than likely will be unlisting those shorts (provided my channel doesn't lose the views) and will cease to make Shorts for the time being.

I hope this insight is of help to anyone thinking of producing Shorts.
Nobull.

Im not sure I would see that as a problem, especially if your shorts are well, "short." I would have no problem clicking on that short then continuing to watch the rest of your content. Thanks for the feedback though!