• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice What is a good audience retention percentage?

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
You know the graph for audience retention - most of my videos have about 50% half way through. I was wondering whether this is a good percentage or whether most people have higher? What do you guys have? any thoughts?

NanoniumTheDude

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Good retention really depends on the length of the video, if ur video is 1h, 50% is amazing - but if ur video is 1 minute long, then 50% is not so great...

Look at ur channel the length is varying but some of ur recent uploads 13-14min, if those got 50% that is pretty good I'd say

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
You know the graph for audience retention - most of my videos have about 50% half way through. I was wondering whether this is a good percentage or whether most people have higher? What do you guys have? any thoughts?
You'll always hear to strive for the highest possible. So if you're getting 50% why not try to push it to 55% or even 60%
I personally struggle to even get 30% so I'd love to get 50%

At the end of the day you always want more, but aiming for at least 50% is a good bar to set.

GoHa

Subscriber Goal
Meine vier Videos mit meisten Abos haben mit 23 bis 46,5% Wiedergabedauer.

Naheed

Known Member
www.coupongot.com
Subscriber Goal
The good audience retention percentage on Youtube is about 40 to 50%.
The 50% audience retention percentage is good enough. If I hit over 50%
retention, I feel like I hit my mark.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I am going to go against the grain here and say that there really isn't a number that you should be aiming for. You need to always be improving retention regardless of what number you are at.

Also worth noting is that performance due to retention varies wildly from video to video, niche to niche, audience to audience and even by total video length. For example, if you have a twenty minute video and you are getting 40% retention that video is collecting more watch time than a 10 minute video with 70% retention.

Endscreens are also an important element here. It's not just about retention, but how many people get to the endscreens and suggested videos at the end of yours. The more clicks you get on suggested videos and endscreens the better that video is going to perform. That is why it is a good practice to allude to something in your video that causes the viewer to stick around for the whole thing.

For example if you are talking about coins, you could mention one of those coins and say something like; 'now this coin... this coin is something different entirely. But we'll get to that in a minute.' Continue talking about the other coins, and then close the loop by going back to this mysterious coin and why it is different in the end of the video.