• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Why do you want 1000 subs? and DON'T say for monetisation.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been thinking a lot about the importance of subscriber numbers, or the lack of importance of subscriber numbers honestly.

100 subscribers unlock custom urls. 1000 subscribers unlocks the POTENTIAL to be monetised, and the COMMUNITY FEED, which honestly should be the only reason why you want 1000, community is more important than money I personally feel. And then 100,000 gets you a vanity play button, a vanity checkmark, and supposedly access to a channel manager.

I don't like that YouTube puts these unlocks behind specific subscriber counts, because it puts too much importance of the subscriber count. I get it, but its not super important to me. Realistically, all the subscriber button does is act as a bookmark to remind people to watch your videos, but they might not actually WANT to watch every single one of your videos, so it's basically just a reminder. You're not going to get guaranteed 1000 views on each video, and 1000 comments every time, simply because you have 1000 subscribers, so outside of monetisation and money, I wonder why people care that much about a subscriber number outside of vanity.

I mean, it's fun to celebrate the milestones. But WHY is your subscriber count important to you? Why do you want the subscriber count you're aiming for? Genuinely curious.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I played in a couple bands over the years, and it was a common trope that you don't want fans; you want superfans. A fan will listen to your music when you play their gig. The superfan follows you to other gigs, buys your shirt, shares your music out to their friends and generally provides that sense of excitement and joy that you want to exhibit.

As creators we need to focus on the superfans. 1,000 superfans is literally worth 100,000 fans. So I am less interested in the 1,000 Subscriber mark (especially now as I near 4,000) that I am adding to our cult of superfans. And regardless of where I am it will always be that first 1,000 that got me where I am and I am not going to forget that.

20210302_090140.jpg

OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I played in a couple bands over the years, and it was a common trope that you don't want fans; you want superfans. A fan will listen to your music when you play their gig. The superfan follows you to other gigs, buys your shirt, shares your music out to their friends and generally provides that sense of excitement and joy that you want to exhibit.

As creators we need to focus on the superfans. 1,000 superfans is literally worth 100,000 fans. So I am less interested in the 1,000 Subscriber mark (especially now as I near 4,000) that I am adding to our cult of superfans. And regardless of where I am it will always be that first 1,000 that got me where I am and I am not going to forget that.

View attachment 9444
I had no idea you were in bands in the past, that's awesome! That's so true about the super fans.
I also gotta say, I love that you framed your milestone certificate, that's pretty awesome. I may have called it a vanity number, but there's no shame in being proud of the accomplishment :)
I always just want people to remember what's important to them and to think about it. I love that framed certificate :)

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, Seth Godin is big on finding that 1,000 super fans. I think he calls them True Fans. That's why I'm not caught up in subscriber numbers because the true super fans are maybe one percent of that total number.

tropicthunder

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
At first I come on this forum, my focus is almost always the same as any new youtuber, subscribers and views. Of course by achieving all of that, youtube unlock features just like you said. But after several weeks being here and learning this and that about youtube and being a youtuber, my focus is a bit shifting towards improvements, either it's my contents, seo, etc. And, seeing any improvement bit by bit on any aspect on my channel encourage me to do better, even just 1 number. It's like watching your plants growing.

So my answered as to why I want 1000 subscribers, just like I said, to encourage me to do even better. About monetizing, well, I'm a liar if I said I don't want to earn some cash from it. When you live in a place like me which most people outside called third-world country, with a minimum wage of $300 per month, trust me, it's better to earn some cash from youtube than working for someone else.

Ater

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I'm getting close to 3k but I feel like it's natural to set mile stones for your self. 100 subs, 1000 subs, 2k, 5k, 10k to have something to strive for.
I got monetized before the 1k sub rule and then got demonetized when they added that rule, so I already know that 1k subs wouldn't make me much money. The things different sub levels unlock are cool but to me it's more about to see the channel steady growing over time as a sign of me doing something right.

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Yesss I agree, YouTube does place a lot of focus on numbers for sure. I feel like once I reach 1000 YouTube as 'accepted' me a bit more into the community as they unlock those specific benefits

Reactions: Beanie Draws