• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Does changing channel name hurts performance ?

tropicthunder

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
My other channel is not monetize yet and currently have about 200-250 views per day. But I want to change the channel's name because someone else have the same exact channel's name with the exact same niche. Will this hurt channel's performance ? I don't want to lose those daily views. Thank you.

Naheed

Known Member
www.coupongot.com
Subscriber Goal
Yes, changing the channel name can hurt the performance. Changing your
YouTube name means your channel name is changed. However, you will
maintain your videos and subscribers. Moreover, as your channel is fresh
and so it wonΓÇÖt have a diverse effect.

Reactions: tropicthunder
OP
OP
tropicthunder

tropicthunder

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Yes, changing the channel name can hurt the performance. Changing your
YouTube name means your channel name is changed. However, you will
maintain your videos and subscribers. Moreover, as your channel is fresh
and so it wonΓÇÖt have a diverse effect.
Thank you. The channel itself is about 3 years old. So, this will decrease my daily viewers right ?

Travel Interesante

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
It depends... if you're making a drastic change and its unrelated to your previous name, it can definitely hurt your daily views.

My wife and I simply added our own names on to the end of our channel name and thankfully had no noticeable issues.

Of course, everyone is different and has different circumstances. If you do change it, you may want to find a way to incorporate why you changed it in your next video for the channel to convey it to your subscribers.

Nody | Team TB

Administrator
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
My other channel is not monetize yet and currently have about 200-250 views per day. But I want to change the channel's name because someone else have the same exact channel's name with the exact same niche. Will this hurt channel's performance? I don't want to lose those daily views. Thank you.

Yes, it kinda does but not If you let your viewers or subscribers informed about the changes. What you can do is, you can make a video on your channel informing your subscribers stating that you're going to change your channel name to "XYZ" and you can state the reasons for the same.
If you've the access to community tab, that's the best way to inform your community or you can make a discord server keep the link in your description, ask them to join and then you can make an announcement there, this way you can ensure that the viewers or current subscribers are informed/updated with what changes you're going to do in your channel and thus, it will not hamper much of your subscribers and view count ratio.

And youtube will take time to show your new channel name, that's like 48 hours max to show it in youtube search results, stating from my own experience as I did change my sister channel name and it took exactly 48 hours, all you've to do is just ensure that you make a quick video about your new content or product or any of your niche right after 24 hours so that when people search for your channel name, your new video as well pop up and that will make your channel name searchable.

Hope it helps :)

Regards,
Nody

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
It depends at what stage you are into your channel. If you're already established and have a few thousand subscribers and you don't communicate the name change to your current subscribers, then yes, you'll probably see a lot of impact negatively. However, if your channel is still new and beginning, and the title of the channel doesn't convey the channel niche or theme properly, and you change the name to something that conveys the niche better, it will more than likely help improve things.

A long channel name that's hard to remember can negatively impact your channel when growing, changing it to a shorter, easier to remember, and easier to brand name, will help the channel long term I believe.

And it's always a good idea to make a video explaining the change to make the transition a lot easier to work with and adapt with long term.

Draw With Jazza is a prime example. He started as Draw with Jazza, but over time his channel became less about drawing, and more about his creative personality. He was already known as Jazza, so he changed his name and it doesn't seem to have impacted him negatively.
View: https://youtu.be/JpzTuS4Vta8

(you can use this video as a bit of a case study)

But at the end of the day, you need to think long term, and If you're already thinking about it, it's pretty evident your original channel name probably doesn't fit you, and will fit you even less in the future. If the change helps communicate your future channel goal and niche better, is easier to read and remember, I'd personally suggest changing earlier, to get it out of the way so it's less of a transition later on. Losing 50 subscribers due to a name change (probably less than that realistically) is less of an impact, then losing 500 because of a channel name change in 5years time when people are wondering "why am I following this channel?"

It WILL definitely impact your metadata though, so that's the part I'd be concerned about.

OP
OP
tropicthunder

tropicthunder

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
It depends at what stage you are into your channel. If you're already established and have a few thousand subscribers and you don't communicate the name change to your current subscribers, then yes, you'll probably see a lot of impact negatively. However, if your channel is still new and beginning, and the title of the channel doesn't convey the channel niche or theme properly, and you change the name to something that conveys the niche better, it will more than likely help improve things.

A long channel name that's hard to remember can negatively impact your channel when growing, changing it to a shorter, easier to remember, and easier to brand name, will help the channel long term I believe.

And it's always a good idea to make a video explaining the change to make the transition a lot easier to work with and adapt with long term.

Draw With Jazza is a prime example. He started as Draw with Jazza, but over time his channel became less about drawing, and more about his creative personality. He was already known as Jazza, so he changed his name and it doesn't seem to have impacted him negatively.
View: https://youtu.be/JpzTuS4Vta8

(you can use this video as a bit of a case study)

But at the end of the day, you need to think long term, and If you're already thinking about it, it's pretty evident your original channel name probably doesn't fit you, and will fit you even less in the future. If the change helps communicate your future channel goal and niche better, is easier to read and remember, I'd personally suggest changing earlier, to get it out of the way so it's less of a transition later on. Losing 50 subscribers due to a name change (probably less than that realistically) is less of an impact, then losing 500 because of a channel name change in 5years time when people are wondering "why am I following this channel?"

It WILL definitely impact your metadata though, so that's the part I'd be concerned about.
Thank you for this. I know that when my old channel name feels like it doesn't fit anymore with the content, so I need to change it.

HeatherPsyD

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
i changed my channel name from drwanderlust to heatherpsyd, although my URL is still drwanderlust. the progression was slow, but I'm holding off to see if i can get a new URL. my channel was never super crazy, so i didn't really notice any significant changes in views/watch time. :)