• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips a

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Well said sir, I enjoyed the read! A great article!

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
That was really useful - atm I do the visual open loops but maybe I'll try out the verbal next to see if it makes a difference

alban007

Subscriber Goal
Are you struggling to get audience retention on your videos?

...if you can't keep people watching your videos until the end, then you're gonna end up with very little watch time.

The Bigger Problem: YouTube is very unlikely to promote your video when the video has poor audience retention.

The good news is, there is a way for you to keep people watching and increase audience retention so you can get more views!

A great way to increase your watch retention is to use Open Loops at the beginning of your video.

...think of it like you're teasing the viewer about what's coming up.

There are 2 types of Open Loops
  • Verbal Open Loops
  • Visual Open Loops
Verbal Open Loops

At the beginning of your video, you tell them verbally what you are going to show them in the video.

Examples of Verbal Open Loops

"In this video, I'm gonna show you how to make YouTube videos on your phone in just 5 simple steps!"

The open-loop would be telling them that there's gonna be 5 simple steps for them to learn what they want to learn.
Imagine if you're watching this video halfway and you're on step #3, you can't stop watching because you're going to want to know what's step #4 and #5!

"Today, I'm gonna share with you my 5 best tips to make better YouTube thumbnails so you can get more views!"

The open-loop would be the "5 best tips"
They know what's coming up in the video, so now there's a reason for them to keep watching!
And most importantly, they have to watch the entire video to get all 5 tips.

Visual Open Loops

At the beginning of your video, in the first 5 ΓÇô 15 seconds you show them the highlights!
The most exciting, most interesting climactic moments of your video.

To tease them to keep watching because of what's coming up.

An example would be this video from YouTuber airrack who went viral and gained over a million subscribers in 1 year

Delivering Food Using a Helicopter!

You will see that the first 15 seconds gives a sneak preview of the most exciting moments of the entire video..
It piques your curiosity and keeps you watching until you reach that moment of the video!
thank you!