• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Channel Tags

Pete A Turner

Known Member
I'd like to update my channel tags. My show has a wide array of guests, some of world famous...other are unknowns. What are you thoughts on the best approach to optimize my channel tags? There's likely a video for this...but I didn't find it--apologies.

If it's appropriate...I can share my channel link and take your suggestions. Maybe? this should be on a different thread...

Thanks in advance for the help.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
It is a bit like choosing tags for a video. You can actually use keyword explorer to explore potential tags that describe all or a chunk of your content and use those tags. One thing that is interesting is that there is (currently) no limit to channel tags, so you can be descriptive and use as many as you feel are needed. You could have tags for guest types, categories of interest, etc.

The reason I mention there is no current limit is because there has been a couple of times where suddenly there was a 500-character limit that didn't remove your existing channel tags but made it so you couldn't really change them without removing tags. Most agree that those were most likely bugs in Studio updates, but it is worth noting.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Seems channel tags have no character limit, you can essentially have as many channel tags as you want, so where I'd normally avoid broad single word tags, in the channel tags, I don't see it as much of an issue.

So just a loose example, I see you have "politics" as a channel tag, and also "podcast" as a channel tag, you could easily also have "politics podcase" "political podcast" "podcast talking about poltiics" and then if you have "rock" and "music", why not add "rock music" "rock music discussions" "talking about rock music" "talking about rock" "talking about music" "discussing rock music" there's literally an unlimited combination of words and phrases you could use, and unlike video keywords where you need to make the most of your character limits, you go as much as you want.

SILTHW mentioned how there was a time for some creators where there was a 500 character limit. I never experienced this limitation, so if you have the opportunity, make the most of it. But when it comes to celebrity names that you've interviewed, I WOULD recommend you putting the context... so if I interviewed steven spielberg for example, I wouldn't just use his name as a channel tag myself, I'd instead go "steven spielberg interview" "interviewing steven spielberg" "interviewing spielberg" "talking with steven spielberg" etc, and this is also where you can use the keyword research tool, and add all your findings into your channel tags.

I'm not sure if there's any way to see how channel tags specifically effect your channel, Andrew or someone else might be able to speak to that more, I'm still a student of tags and keywords, but if you have no character limits, take full advantage of them, because every little bit of SEO data you can add, you might as well add if you can.

OP
OP
Pete A Turner

Pete A Turner

Known Member
Seems channel tags have no character limit, you can essentially have as many channel tags as you want, so where I'd normally avoid broad single word tags, in the channel tags, I don't see it as much of an issue.

So just a loose example, I see you have "politics" as a channel tag, and also "podcast" as a channel tag, you could easily also have "politics podcase" "political podcast" "podcast talking about poltiics" and then if you have "rock" and "music", why not add "rock music" "rock music discussions" "talking about rock music" "talking about rock" "talking about music" "discussing rock music" there's literally an unlimited combination of words and phrases you could use, and unlike video keywords where you need to make the most of your character limits, you go as much as you want.

SILTHW mentioned how there was a time for some creators where there was a 500 character limit. I never experienced this limitation, so if you have the opportunity, make the most of it. But when it comes to celebrity names that you've interviewed, I WOULD recommend you putting the context... so if I interviewed steven spielberg for example, I wouldn't just use his name as a channel tag myself, I'd instead go "steven spielberg interview" "interviewing steven spielberg" "interviewing spielberg" "talking with steven spielberg" etc, and this is also where you can use the keyword research tool, and add all your findings into your channel tags.

I'm not sure if there's any way to see how channel tags specifically effect your channel, Andrew or someone else might be able to speak to that more, I'm still a student of tags and keywords, but if you have no character limits, take full advantage of them, because every little bit of SEO data you can add, you might as well add if you can.
That is fantastic. Thanks. I'll put that great advice to work. And hell, I'll grab Speilberg while I am at it-I actually think he's getable.

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws