• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Answered Search volume vs. # of monthly searches

Status
Not open for further replies.

nzerinto

This is in regard to Keyword Explorer.

Based on reading other threads (including this post from a few days ago, as well as this older thread one), I understand that if "# of Monthly Searches" does not appear, it's either because:
  1. There's insufficient volume of search
  2. There's no data for that particular keyword (due to the crazy number of keyword possibilities and limitations regarding getting ALL data)
That makes sense, I get it.

However, when this happens, I've noticed that "Search Volume" will still return a value.

For example I got results back for a keyword I researched. There were no "# of Monthly Searches", yet under "Search Volume" it was showing "Excellent".

What is the "Excellent" assessment based upon?

Surely if the data isn't available, shouldn't "Search Volume" simply show "N/A" or similar?

Or is it able to make the "Excellent" assessment based off other metrics? And if so, which ones?

Attachments

• 01.png
    01.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 193
Reactions: Apps and alban007

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal

Based on reading other threads (including this post from a few days ago, as well as this older thread one), I understand that if "# of Monthly Searches" does not appear, it's either because:
  2. There's no data for that particular keyword (due to the crazy number of keyword possibilities and limitations regarding getting ALL data)

However, when this happens, I've noticed that "Search Volume" will still return a value.

For example I got results back for a keyword I researched. There were no "# of Monthly Searches", yet under "Search Volume" it was showing "Excellent".

Surely if the data isn't available, shouldn't "Search Volume" simply show "N/A" or similar?

Or is it able to make the "Excellent" assessment based off other metrics? And if so, which ones?

First I understand the confusion, and am working with the dev team today to make a video on this subject. I feel a lot of nuance can be lost through text :(. That said I will do my best :).

The # of searches per month is an ESTIMATE http://prntscr.com/105r1k3. We run our calculation first, and cross reference with a third party SEO tracking site we trust. This is how we can have a score WITHOUT the # of searches. We run our calculation and get the score first, and then check with the third party for the # of searches. That has a limit of how much we can pull for every term, so we look at what users in TubeBuddy search for, and the more people search for a term, we prioritize trying to get the data for that specific keyword.

If there is no # of ESTIMATED monthly searches then it means we either don't have an exact estimate (Limited from what we can pull from YouTube and 3rd Party Site) from our third party SEO tracking site or it's less than 50 searches per month on the term.

Again due to the trillions of keyword combinations and that includes one word keywords, multi word keywords, and all the different combinations we can't get the estimate for every term.

What we do have is our calculation before hand. We run that, and then if enough interest in the term is there (50 or more searches and or we can pull the estimate) we show the estimated # of monthly searches.

Keep in mind, our tool has been around for a long time, and we stand by our #'s we believe in our product. We can't give out exact calculations (We have competitors watching).

The History of the tool is we had the calculation first. Then people asked if there was a way we could see # of searches per month. We partnered with our third party provider to add that in. So our calculation is done first, and then we reference if we can pull # of searches per month estimate. If we can't we still stand by our calculations, and that's why we say to focus there. We are doing our best to give out more # of searches per month estimates, but we are limited by both YouTube API and what we can do with our third party provider.

We will be writing a support document with more information, and I'll attach it here. Until then thread answered :)

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal

First I understand the confusion, and am working with the dev team today to make a video on this subject. I feel a lot of nuance can be lost through text :(. That said I will do my best :).

The # of searches per month is an ESTIMATE http://prntscr.com/105r1k3. We run our calculation first, and cross reference with a third party SEO tracking site we trust. This is how we can have a score WITHOUT the # of searches. We run our calculation and get the score first, and then check with the third party for the # of searches. That has a limit of how much we can pull for every term, so we look at what users in TubeBuddy search for, and the more people search for a term, we prioritize trying to get the data for that specific keyword.

If there is no # of ESTIMATED monthly searches then it means we either don't have an exact estimate (Limited from what we can pull from YouTube and 3rd Party Site) from our third party SEO tracking site or it's less than 50 searches per month on the term.

Again due to the trillions of keyword combinations and that includes one word keywords, multi word keywords, and all the different combinations we can't get the estimate for every term.

What we do have is our calculation before hand. We run that, and then if enough interest in the term is there (50 or more searches and or we can pull the estimate) we show the estimated # of monthly searches.

Keep in mind, our tool has been around for a long time, and we stand by our #'s we believe in our product. We can't give out exact calculations (We have competitors watching).

The History of the tool is we had the calculation first. Then people asked if there was a way we could see # of searches per month. We partnered with our third party provider to add that in. So our calculation is done first, and then we reference if we can pull # of searches per month estimate. If we can't we still stand by our calculations, and that's why we say to focus there. We are doing our best to give out more # of searches per month estimates, but we are limited by both YouTube API and what we can do with our third party provider.

We will be writing a support document with more information, and I'll attach it here. Until then thread answered :)

Status
Not open for further replies.