• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Opinion Jump Cuts Abound

Should we take the time to repair jump cuts?

• Total voters

Pete A Turner

Known Member
Just curious...jump cuts are common in YouTube videos. Why don't people fix these? How did jump cuts go from embarrassing/amateurish to common and acceptable?

• Love
Reactions: Damon

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Just curious...jump cuts are common in YouTube videos. Why don't people fix these? How did jump cuts go from embarrassing/amateurish to common and acceptable?
I have lots of thoughts on this, most of which show my age...

When I learned editing, the general rule was that cuts should be nearly invisible. I'm a huge fan of Walter Murch and his editing style. My own style professionally is very much in that vein. Simple, clean, almost invisible transitions.

But that has changed and isn't really the style anymore. The style change + lack of time is why I stopped doing freelance editing. I mean, I could have adjusted to the new conventions, but it just wasn't the way I wanted to work and since editing has always been my side gig, I just stopped doing it.

The short answer to what caused the change was MTV. Then "shaky-cam" and "found footage" conventions. Couple that with low attention span and those conventions are now used to keep or regain attention. But that is if they are intentionally used. A lot of it stems from the fact that a non-linear editor of quality now costs you $0 so everyone edits, but few people take the time to learn the craft of editing. I would guess that most people who have videos with jump cuts don't know those are called jump cuts.

Now I'm going to go outside and yell at kids to stay off my lawn...

• Love
Reactions: Pete A Turner
OP
OP
Pete A Turner

Pete A Turner

Known Member
I really try to not let it bug me...and I get that it's the "style" now...but good grief...it does bug me.

Maybe one day I'll add one in to show how cool I am....for the time being...it's gonna bug me.

tropicthunder

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I guess it's common practice back in early days of youtube where videos are limited to 3 minutes only, so people who talk a lot or explaining something can fit into that 3 minutes limit. And now it's just like a "template" for youtubers.

OP
OP
Pete A Turner

Pete A Turner

Known Member
I guess it's common practice back in early days of youtube where videos are limited to 3 minutes only, so people who talk a lot or explaining something can fit into that 3 minutes limit. And now it's just like a "template" for youtubers.
to be fair to jump cut folks...you have to know it's not a good look, and YouTube doesn't give us the tools to fix them in their editing suite.

tropicthunder

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
to be fair to jump cut folks...you have to know it's not a good look, and YouTube doesn't give us the tools to fix them in their editing suite.
I know it's not for everyone, sometimes I don't like it too, depending on the content, but then again, viewers have their own taste. Oh and btw, creator insider also mention about jump cuts in minute 1:12

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
While jump cuts are common and have been popularized on YouTube, they didn't invent them. There is a time and place for a jump cut. I generally hate jump cuts, but sometimes I want to jar the listener. It always depends on what story you're telling and how you're telling it.

A lot of it stems from the fact that a non-linear editor of quality now costs you $0 so everyone edits, but few people take the time to learn the craft of editing. I would guess that most people who have videos with jump cuts don't know those are called jump cuts.

Yup! Again all this has been done in TV and movie for 100 years, yet most YouTuber will never take the time to learn. If you really want to know about editing styles, read Documentary Editing by Jacob Bricca. All of editing can be summarized into verite, evidentiary or montage editing. Of course there are combinations of these listed.

The editing style you choose is largely based on the type of footage you have. Much of the talking head footage you see on YouTube would be so much better if they started editing via evidentiary method. You state something, then the "b-roll" footage demonstrates what you're saying. That process eliminates jump cuts.

Constant talking is the worst thing you can do. It's video, not a lecture. I have two degrees. I don't need to sit through more lectures. The brain needs to process what's been said an demonstrated. Jump cuts interrupt that process. You gotta give people time to think.

OP
OP
Pete A Turner

Pete A Turner

Known Member
While jump cuts are common and have been popularized on YouTube, they didn't invent them. There is a time and place for a jump cut. I generally hate jump cuts, but sometimes I want to jar the listener. It always depends on what story you're telling and how you're telling it.

Yup! Again all this has been done in TV and movie for 100 years, yet most YouTuber will never take the time to learn. If you really want to know about editing styles, read Documentary Editing by Jacob Bricca. All of editing can be summarized into verite, evidentiary or montage editing. Of course there are combinations of these listed.

The editing style you choose is largely based on the type of footage you have. Much of the talking head footage you see on YouTube would be so much better if they started editing via evidentiary method. You state something, then the "b-roll" footage demonstrates what you're saying. That process eliminates jump cuts.

Constant talking is the worst thing you can do. It's video, not a lecture. I have two degrees. I don't need to sit through more lectures. The brain needs to process what's been said an demonstrated. Jump cuts interrupt that process. You gotta give people time to think.
You get it...a pic or b-roll is an editor's friend. Also, if you're doing a 1-shot monologue...be a damned pro and 1-take that 1-shot... :)

• Love
Reactions: Damon

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal

I stand by the phrase "Done is better than perfect." I know A LOT of creators don't publish because a video isn't perfect. Done is better than perfect. Jump cuts are part of the process, and the better you get the more you can work around them OR use them with meaning :D

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal

Man, I had so many things to say until I read this @Damon. You totally took the wind out of my sails lol. Well said sir.