• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Tips & tricks on how to predict soon-to-be Trending topics ?

tropicthunder

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Sometimes I want to make a content based on what's trending, but I guess I already late. I rely on google trends or TB what's trending for now. For a small channel I feel like I already too late if I want to keep up with trending topic. There are already ten thousands of searches, so I feel like that's not going to increase anymore, but who knows.

Since youtube boost the video that have hundred thousands of view, it's no big deal for bigger youtuber even if they're late on following trending topics. But for small channel like me, it's hard or even impossible to competing on trending topics.

Should I keep an eyes on every news ? Should I follow on all social media ? I know sometimes we get a hint from people around us if there's something hype is going on, but like I said, it's too late for a small channel, or it isn't ?. I need Nostradamus lol.

Reactions: Buli2580

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I'll give you the answer people now days hate to hear - read a lot. Not just the stuff you like to read. For example, if you are someone focused on movies and tv and don't have an IMDB Pro account that you read daily, you are missing out. In fact, if you aren't reading IMDB Pro and Variety daily and you are a channel focused on that content, then you are missing huge cues as to what is happening.

If you do tech reviews and aren't following every major tech journalist and every major credible "leaker" you are missing huge cues as to what might happen.

I can keep going on... but hopefully you get the gist. You have to dig below the mainstream reporting into the source material.

OP
OP
tropicthunder

tropicthunder

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I'll give you the answer people now days hate to hear - read a lot. Not just the stuff you like to read. For example, if you are someone focused on movies and tv and don't have an IMDB Pro account that you read daily, you are missing out. In fact, if you aren't reading IMDB Pro and Variety daily and you are a channel focused on that content, then you are missing huge cues as to what is happening.

If you do tech reviews and aren't following every major tech journalist and every major credible "leaker" you are missing huge cues as to what might happen.

I can keep going on... but hopefully you get the gist. You have to dig below the mainstream reporting into the source material.
Why didn't I think of this earlier, you gave me a huge clues, thank you.

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Wow - this makes me feel like I need to up my game - I make a lot of health and lifestyle / food videos. I guess I should try to do more for food trends which I have never tried doing before

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Sometimes I want to make a content based on what's trending, but I guess I already late. I rely on google trends or TB what's trending for now. For a small channel I feel like I already too late if I want to keep up with trending topic. There are already ten thousands of searches, so I feel like that's not going to increase anymore, but who knows.

Since youtube boost the video that have hundred thousands of view, it's no big deal for bigger youtuber even if they're late on following trending topics. But for small channel like me, it's hard or even impossible to competing on trending topics.

Should I keep an eyes on every news ? Should I follow on all social media ? I know sometimes we get a hint from people around us if there's something hype is going on, but like I said, it's too late for a small channel, or it isn't ?. I need Nostradamus lol.
I think it can depend on your niche as to how you predict soon to be trends.

SILTHW made an excellent point about keeping an eye on credible leakers, but I'd also do some case studies on manufacturers and companies that release products in your space, what are their plans, you can even look into which manufacturers companies partner with, to see if you learn more about the manufacturer themselves. Patents for products are always a great way of predicting what could be big trends in the future. There's a patent for a folding iPad that's public information, initially there were patents for new user interation devices, patents for glass compositions that indicated new glass screen manufacturing.

I knew about folding screens a good 5-10 years before they were announced because I saw people discussing new LED manufacturing processes. There's also manufacturing going into transparent LEDs that allow cameras BEHIND phone screens. You could share your thoughts on how you think this kind of technology could effect the future of repairability of screens and cameras. Privacy is a big issue for cameras... how would a camera BEHIND a screen effect security and privacy? is there potentially new privacy devices like 2 way mirrors that let you look at a screen, without a camera being able to look through to you? There's all sorts of things you future predict.

I really enjoy trying to predict the future 10 years from now, so I like to get creative in trying to figure out what MIGHT happen in the future. That way not only can you get ahead of a trend... you could be one of the first people to report on a trend, years before it becomes a trend.

Reactions: tropicthunder

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Funny enough, I've taught a class on this topic for 10+ years. I've added this to my own topic list.

Reactions: Beanie Draws
OP
OP
tropicthunder

tropicthunder

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I think it can depend on your niche as to how you predict soon to be trends.

SILTHW made an excellent point about keeping an eye on credible leakers, but I'd also do some case studies on manufacturers and companies that release products in your space, what are their plans, you can even look into which manufacturers companies partner with, to see if you learn more about the manufacturer themselves. Patents for products are always a great way of predicting what could be big trends in the future. There's a patent for a folding iPad that's public information, initially there were patents for new user interation devices, patents for glass compositions that indicated new glass screen manufacturing.

I knew about folding screens a good 5-10 years before they were announced because I saw people discussing new LED manufacturing processes. There's also manufacturing going into transparent LEDs that allow cameras BEHIND phone screens. You could share your thoughts on how you think this kind of technology could effect the future of repairability of screens and cameras. Privacy is a big issue for cameras... how would a camera BEHIND a screen effect security and privacy? is there potentially new privacy devices like 2 way mirrors that let you look at a screen, without a camera being able to look through to you? There's all sorts of things you future predict.

I really enjoy trying to predict the future 10 years from now, so I like to get creative in trying to figure out what MIGHT happen in the future. That way not only can you get ahead of a trend... you could be one of the first people to report on a trend, years before it becomes a trend.
+1 about patents. I just google about the latest patents of 2021, came up with hundreds of patents, and it's still in february. Thank you.