• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Work In Progress Best Free Thumbnail Apps

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
This gets asked a lot, so let's see if we can make a definitive answer.

Free web design apps. These have tools and templates that take the guesswork out of the design:
- canva.com
- Adobe Spark
- snappa.com

Apps you may already own:
- PowerPoint
- Keynote (Mac only)
- TubeBuddy's thumbnail creator

Open Source:
- GIMP
- Krita

Varjopihlaja

Subscriber Goal
I use the same drawing program I use for my art, Paint tool SAI.
Anything works as long you know what you're doing!

OceanShip

JE Ships
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I use canva.com, works really well and makes it easy to create a thumbnail

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Apps you may already own:
- PowerPoint
- Keynote (Mac only)

Open Source:
- GIMP
- Krita

I'd avoid using PowerPoint personally. I've never seen a good looking thumbnail to come out of Microsoft software. Much better using the TubeBuddy thumbnail generator.

I'll also put a recommendation for photopea. https://www.photopea.com/ Roberto Blake has recommended it, and on desktops, it's a very powerful free alternative to Photoshop all online based. It can get a bit laggy, but it can do a lot typographically that can be limited in some other apps.
I find GIMP has too much of a learning curve for me, and photopea can do similar, with a lot less steps needed.

Firebro999

I typically make most of my thumbnails on my phone with the PicsArt app. It's really good for photo editing. Here's one of the thumbnail examples for one of my gaming videos.
It's available for both Android and iOS, so if you ever need a quick and simple solution that's mobile friendly, I'd also use that. PicsArt_02-28-12.17.23.jpg