• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Help Youtube re encodes video and pixels are everywhere

Scuplex

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Hello i came across a problem that happens to my videos during an upload on youtube. When i record a video with OBS VBR 100k - 170k high quality and when i render it in premiere pro at VBR 2 pass 16 - 20mbps video in youtube becomes pixalate very pixalate even in 1080p. Tried to find a fix and found one to render video at 2k to get the max quality and other codec(vp09) but that didnt worked video was less pixelated but still pixels everywhere. (When i watch the video in my computer it is PERFECT clean 1080p but on youtube it is ... pile of . ) Are there any fixes on that? Cause ive been trying the past 3 days recording and reuploading 10 time now different videos different settings but havent came to a conclusion!

OP
OP
Scuplex

Scuplex

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
That is what i render with h.264 2k vbr 2 pass 16-25 , but still pixels.... This de motivates as i have spend almost 24 hours trying to fix it

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Just looked at your latest upload and I'm not seeing any significant artifacting. Which uploaded video are you seeing the issue with? And were you previewing it before the HD render was complete? YouTube has been slow recently on the HD renders so they show the SD version for up to a day. We've seen multiple complaints about the HD render taking up to a day.

Reactions: Scuplex
OP
OP
Scuplex

Scuplex

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Just looked at your latest upload and I'm not seeing any significant artifacting. Which uploaded video are you seeing the issue with? And were you previewing it before the HD render was complete? YouTube has been slow recently on the HD renders so they show the SD version for up to a day. We've seen multiple complaints about the HD render taking up to a day.
Well i dont really know either now, im confused cause when i check my latest video which you saw vs the second latest there is a big difference . Maybe it has to do with the MAP im playing on it self , maybe areas with more greens/ dark spots are difficult for youtube to handle? Dont really know at this point i will try experimenting the upcoming days with youtube and recording hopefully finding a solution unless there isnt one . Thanks a lot for your replies!

EvaWar

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
www.evawar.com
Subscriber Goal
Are you recording in OBS using cpu or nvenc? I noticed that using nvenc even at higher bitrate and massive file sizes, the videos dont come out as nice as using cpu encoding. I've also started uploading at 1440p to get clearer videos.

OP
OP
Scuplex

Scuplex

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
1613647195156.png

EvaWar

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
www.evawar.com
Subscriber Goal
I'd try 100,000 and 200,000 for the Bitrate and Max Bitrate, and turn on Look-ahead. Than see how it comes out when exporting the video as 1440p

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I'd try 100,000 and 200,000 for the Bitrate and Max Bitrate, and turn on Look-ahead. Than see how it comes out when exporting the video as 1440p
Ooof! No way would I go for 100,000 or 200,000, those file sizes would be INSANE! Even 30,000 was insane for me. I now keep to 15000.

Hello i came across a problem that happens to my videos during an upload on youtube. When i record a video with OBS VBR 100k - 170k high quality and when i render it in premiere pro at VBR 2 pass 16 - 20mbps video in youtube becomes pixalate very pixalate even in 1080p. Tried to find a fix and found one to render video at 2k to get the max quality and other codec(vp09) but that didnt worked video was less pixelated but still pixels everywhere. (When i watch the video in my computer it is PERFECT clean 1080p but on youtube it is ... pile of . ) Are there any fixes on that? Cause ive been trying the past 3 days recording and reuploading 10 time now different videos different settings but havent came to a conclusion!
Have you actually looked at the video it'self in creator studio AFTER uploading to ensure it's finished processing? My last few videos sat processing for several hours in SD format. The final video WILL be HD, but sometimes for a while when processing, a video will stay at SD (480p I think) until fully processed. There's no progress bar or indicator for how long it takes, you simply have to look at your video to make sure HD is there as well as SD. It can take quite a while. Sometimes it's taken as quick as 5 minutes, other times it's taken as long as 4-6 hours, that will make it appear pixelated even if the source footage is being uploaded at 1080p. It WILL be available at 1080p eventually, you just have to be patient and wait.

Also be aware that YouTube ALWAYS includes its own compression AFTER upload.
MKBHD explains this a bit in this video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR4KHfqw-oE&ab_channel=MarquesBrownlee

Also, the SlowMoGuys did a video explaining how small details in a video in a patterned or glittery way, will add a lot of compression in post processing through YouTube. There's no way around this as YouTube are going to add their own compression during processing. Matter of fact, I think this is EXACTLY why some videos take so long to process, because YouTube is trying to optimise the compression in a way to find a balance between detail, and streaming/buffering resources.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtYKDamqo2I&ab_channel=TheSlowMoGuys

• Love
OP
OP
Scuplex

Scuplex

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Ooof! No way would I go for 100,000 or 200,000, those file sizes would be INSANE! Even 30,000 was insane for me. I now keep to 15000.

Have you actually looked at the video it'self in creator studio AFTER uploading to ensure it's finished processing? My last few videos sat processing for several hours in SD format. The final video WILL be HD, but sometimes for a while when processing, a video will stay at SD (480p I think) until fully processed. There's no progress bar or indicator for how long it takes, you simply have to look at your video to make sure HD is there as well as SD. It can take quite a while. Sometimes it's taken as quick as 5 minutes, other times it's taken as long as 4-6 hours, that will make it appear pixelated even if the source footage is being uploaded at 1080p. It WILL be available at 1080p eventually, you just have to be patient and wait.

Also be aware that YouTube ALWAYS includes its own compression AFTER upload.
MKBHD explains this a bit in this video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR4KHfqw-oE&ab_channel=MarquesBrownlee

Also, the SlowMoGuys did a video explaining how small details in a video in a patterned or glittery way, will add a lot of compression in post processing through YouTube. There's no way around this as YouTube are going to add their own compression during processing. Matter of fact, I think this is EXACTLY why some videos take so long to process, because YouTube is trying to optimise the compression in a way to find a balance between detail, and streaming/buffering resources.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtYKDamqo2I&ab_channel=TheSlowMoGuys
Wowww thanks a lot for all those information. Yes i did wait about 1-2 hours till 2k appeared in my youtube studio tab. Oh yeahhh and ive seen he is video from MKBHD explaining how youtube compresses everything to make it functional for its platform! All i did now was change my bitrate to 80.000 and 100.000 VBR , render in 2k 16-20 VBR an upload it like this nothing else i can i do from that part! Thanks a lot again for spending your time to write that huge of a reply !!

Reactions: Beanie Draws

EvaWar

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
www.evawar.com
Subscriber Goal

There's a big difference between the nvenc encoding bitrate and cpu encoding bitrate. If you set to nvenc and 15000 all you will get is blocks on the screen.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
maybe areas with more greens/ dark spots are difficult for youtube to handle
I don't want to lose this question because this is true for almost any CODEC due to how they handle compression. Dark areas, especially blacks and very dark greens and blues will look pixelated. Especially the combo of dark colors and fast movement.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
There's a big difference between the nvenc encoding bitrate and cpu encoding bitrate. If you set to nvenc and 15000 all you will get is blocks on the screen.
This is true, I've been experimating with that a bit recently because of this very issue. The problem with such high bitrates is you end up filling your storage before you get a chance to do anything with it. 30k is the cap I'd put on it. 100k just seems insane, especially for an hour long gaming session, that's just ouch!

I don't want to lose this question because this is true for almost any CODEC due to how they handle compression. Dark areas, especially blacks and very dark greens and blues will look pixelated. Especially the combo of dark colors and fast movement.
The interesting thing about this, is I've noticed for literally decades now, that JPG has always handled compression of red colours horribly. I wonder if the same holds true for videos. My background is obviously in art and design, and working with a lot of red designs, it's an interesting anomaly to notice.