• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Does anyone know why banner appears slightly off-center?

Varjopihlaja

Subscriber Goal
I just did a new banner, perfectly in template and all, yet it still looks like this:
1613486715909.png

Slightly less background visible on bottom?! I cannot move it on YT, so is the only option just guesstimate the offset and manually move it in editing program? I already tried to rise it but it still looked the exact same when I reuploaded :weary_face:

Full banner:
1613487804936.png

Attachments

• 0 banner 2021.jpg
    0 banner 2021.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Recycling bits here, but this is the best way I've found to ensure this works.

Little trick here that people don't talk about much.

Size your banner as 1546 pixels x 423 pixels. That is the YouTube safe area for all platforms. Then create a second banner that is the same color (or pattern) as your background that is 2560 pixels wide by x 1440 pixels. Center the first banner in the second. You now have a banner that will display properly on every device including TVs.

OP
OP
Varjopihlaja

Varjopihlaja

Subscriber Goal
Recycling bits here, but this is the best way I've found to ensure this works.

Little trick here that people don't talk about much.

Size your banner as 1546 pixels x 423 pixels. That is the YouTube safe area for all platforms. Then create a second banner that is the same color (or pattern) as your background that is 2560 pixels wide by x 1440 pixels. Center the first banner in the second. You now have a banner that will display properly on every device including TVs.

That is what I have done (I edited the full banner into the start msg now)! It also looks fine when I upload and there is that crop section, top and bottom are equal. When I go to my channel, there it seems there is more space at top. Same happens on mobile. I think I already had this problem with my old banner, and never found a working solution...

Could this be a browser issue?

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
That is what I have done! It also looks fine when I upload and there is that crop section, top and bottom are equal. When I go to my channel, there it seems there is more space at top. Same happens on mobile. I think I already had this problem with my old banner, and never found a working solution...

Could this be a browser issue?
It could be. I've never seen the issue with solid backgrounds and wonder if it has to do with the pattern and them not being able to easily match a background to expand it.

OP
OP
Varjopihlaja

Varjopihlaja

Subscriber Goal
It could be. I've never seen the issue with solid backgrounds and wonder if it has to do with the pattern and them not being able to easily match a background to expand it.

Just made a version with solid background, same thing happens :oops: I wonder if it shows only to me or others visiting my channel as well..
Only thing that comes to my mind anymore is to make smaller than TV one (less than 1440 px) and try to manually center it when uploading to youtube?

Last edited:

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
Just made a version with solid background, same thing happens :oops: I wonder if it shows only to me or others visiting my channel as well..
Only thing that comes to my mind anymore is to make smaller than TV one (less than 2560 px) and try to manually center it when uploading to youtube?
Just to make it worse, I just checked the banners for all of my subscribed channels and none of them have that issue, but I do see it on your channel. Now I'm seeing a white outline.

OP
OP
Varjopihlaja

Varjopihlaja

Subscriber Goal
Just to make it worse, I just checked the banners for all of my subscribed channels and none of them have that issue, but I do see it on your channel. Now I'm seeing a white outline.
Oh crap... White border is ok if it's around the smaller ''box'', it's part of the design so far. Guess I need to somehow try a different size and get rid of this, it's difficult though since this only appears after I've uploaded the banner

OP
OP
Varjopihlaja

Varjopihlaja

Subscriber Goal
I got it slightly better by adding 5px at the bottom of my banner, making it 2560 x 1440 px. No idea why I need this though, the size should be what it was! In the preview window upon loading the file it looks very offset and like the top would be much narrower but when I save and go to my channel, it's in the middle now (more or less). wtf

1613490038399.png

Bulltahr

Motorcycles, since the 80's......
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Do you have a link to that template please? She's a rocky road getting the YT banner perfect, that's for sure, I wish they made it easier or gave you the option to base it on your preferred platform...

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I have noticed this in the past. I think some templates have been kind of off, possibly due to a very old layout update where the display pic/icon used to float OVER the banner. It doesn't look that bad the way your's went to be honest, but you could easily get away with enlarging the overall image by about 5%. It'll crop out some of the left and right, but your design looks like it would allow for that kind of cropping.