• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Do people prefer voice-over or music in art videos?

Which do you prefer in art speedpaint video?

• Total voters

Varjopihlaja

Subscriber Goal
I'm talking like speedpaints etc. I've just started doing some voice-overs but outside tutorials/q&a I find it difficult to find a subject to talk about. Would it make any sense to talk about physics stuff? That's the one thing I know and what comes to mind since I'm a nuclear physicist... (something like if I draw something with stars, I could talk about how stars are born/fusion, ans so on). Also might be something that has not been done before and hopefully interesting.

Any tips? I'd like to be more approachable and personal and this might be a way doing it?

OP
OP
Varjopihlaja

Varjopihlaja

Subscriber Goal
Honestly, use both. Whenever a video us just one thing people will get bored. Go watch Bob Ross. He did a mix of all these in various ways and times. It's just like documentary film.
Both in one video? That's what I've been doing but the talking topic outside the tutorial is still open. Or would it make any sense interest-wise just describe generally what you're doing while you do it?

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I would do a mixture of voice and music as I feel it's more engaging rather than just music alone. But that is just personal preference. I feel like it adds a personal touch too which is unique to you.

Reactions: Damon

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
@Beanie Draws may have some thoughts on this.
I'm actually trying to figure this one out myself as well

I'm currently looking through my videos and making some custom compare lists (tubebuddy livestream this past week talked about that feature) where you can make a collection of all your videos that have music only, and all your videos that have voice overs, and then compare the video completed percentage (probably not the name of the analytic, but it's something I'm investigating)

basically, if videos without voice overs have higher audience retention overall, that's your answer. Most of the timelapses I've seen all have no voice overs, and voices can be hit or miss. Some voices just annoy people meaning they'll watch on mute instead if they like your art enough.

It's definitely something I'm going to be investigating more myself this year.

Make a few videos with, and a few videos without, and see which ones get more audience retention. The data will give you the true answers.

You can also try making a poll on twitter as well.

Reactions: Varjopihlaja