• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Youtube outline

Manos

Hi folks,

Hope you are great.

I am wondering if you have any specific structure that you shoot your video and you keep the retention high as well as to motivate them to see more videos.

If you have any good structure do you want to share it?

Thank you

Manos

Reactions: Damon

NanoniumTheDude

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I usually go for a strong hook (something to entice ppl to keep watching), a 1-3s of "hey I'm Nanonium" then jump straight into the content, I waste no time getting the information and that has definitely helped my retention stay fairly high (50-70%) although consider my videos also tend to be anywhere between 1-3 minutes

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
How about an answer directly from YouTube (the company, not a random channel?

OP
OP
Manos

Manos

I usually go for a strong hook (something to entice ppl to keep watching), a 1-3s of "hey I'm Nanonium" then jump straight into the content, I waste no time getting the information and that has definitely helped my retention stay fairly high (50-70%) although consider my videos also tend to be anywhere between 1-3 minutes
Thank you!

Ritik Pandey

Recognized Member
The three-act structure is a way to easily script films and videos.
Basically, the first act is setup.
You share what the video will do and if there is any problem that you are facing in the video and setup the video.
The second act is called the main act.
This is where the meat of your video is. What actually happens in the video.
The third act resolves all the conflict.
you can google for more info

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
If you have any good structure do you want to share it?

Yes, documentary storytelling and the good old three-act dramatic structure. These are storytelling methods as old as humanity itself, but hardly anyone on YouTube uses them. I treat every video as if it were a documentary film. I write a full treatment and everything, even compose my own music.

The thing is T. V. show producers and filmmakers have figured out retention rates 100 years ago. Yet, most YouTubers never make use of this hard-won knowledge.

To show this in practice. I usually go to my favorite coffee shop with pen and paper. It usually goes like this:

Train
  • This defines what the story is about. It only needs be one sentence. Like a train this is what drives the story forward.
  • For instance: This is a story about a guy trying to catch big fish with super light line in dangerously swift water.
Inciting Indecent
  • This defines why you picked up the camera and started shooting.
  • For instance, a subscriber asked about fishing the swift waters below the dam
  • Or, found a rich group of high-ranking keywords
  • Or, a fellow fisherman tipped me off that stripers were swarming in the fast water below the hydroelectric turbines.
Pitch
  • This is the classic pitch you hear most film people talk about. I basically combines the above two things.
  • For instance, "We join Damon as he is tipped off that the stripped bass have begun to move, but cold water temperature and swift water below the dam could make for life threatening situation."
Themes
  • This is mostly themes I'd like to cover. I don't always list themes.
  • For instance, Spidy Sense, resourcefulness, beauty
  • Think of how Jane Austin titled her novels like Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility.
Three-Act Structure

Act I: Damon rigs his fishing gear, but can he get to the river before the fish move down stream?

Act II: Damon gets to the river, but can he safely fish the swift water?

Act III: Damon tries some new lures, but will they attract fish?

Resolution: Damon reflects on the day.

Note how each of these asks a question and involves some kind of conflict. I have no idea what will happen on a fishing trip. That's why it's a documentary. This is how i approach structure in my videos.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Manos

Manos

You can keep them watching by visually teasing them what's coming up in the video.

For example, show the most exciting most interesting parts from your video in the first 5 ΓÇô 10 seconds
And that can help keep them watching because now have something to look forward to.

They know that something exciting is coming up!
And they will keep watching the video until they reach that moment.

...or you could simply keep people watching by telling them what you will be showing.

For example, if you're creating a video on how to sleep better at night.

You can start your video telling people you are going to give them 6 tips to sleep better tonight.
And that alone is already a way to keep people watching.

You keep people hooked because they know what they're going to get from watching the video

They have to watch the entire video until the end to get all 6 tips.
Plus, nobody wants to stop halfway and miss out of the other tips.
WOW... It was so exciting! SUB! :D

OP
OP
Manos

Manos

Yes, documentary storytelling and the good old three-act dramatic structure. These are storytelling methods as old as humanity itself, but hardly anyone on YouTube uses them. I treat every video as if it were a documentary film. I write a full treatment and everything, even compose my own music.

The thing is T. V. show producers and filmmakers have figured out retention rates 100 years ago. Yet, most YouTubers never make use of this hard-won knowledge.

To show this in practice. I usually go to my favorite coffee shop with pen and paper. It usually goes like this:

Train
  • This defines what the story is about. It only needs be one sentence. Like a train this is what drives the story forward.
  • For instance: This is a story about a guy trying to catch big fish with super light line in dangerously swift water.
Inciting Indecent
  • This defines why you picked up the camera and started shooting.
  • For instance, a subscriber asked about fishing the swift waters below the dam
  • Or, found a rich group of high-ranking keywords
  • Or, a fellow fisherman tipped me off that stripers were swarming in the fast water below the hydroelectric turbines.
Pitch
  • This is the classic pitch you hear most film people talk about. I basically combines the above two things.
  • For instance, "We join Damon as he is tipped off that the stripped bass have begun to move, but cold water temperature and swift water below the dam could make for life threatening situation."
Themes
  • This is mostly themes I'd like to cover. I don't always list themes.
  • For instance, Spidy Sense, resourcefulness, beauty
  • Think of how Jane Austin titled her novels like Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility.
Three-Act Structure

Act I: Damon rigs his fishing gear, but can he get to the river before the fish move down stream?

Act II: Damon gets to the river, but can he safely fish the swift water?

Act III: Damon tries some new lures, but will they attract fish?

Resolution: Damon reflects on the day.

Note how each of these asks a question and involves some kind of conflict. I have no idea what will happen on a fishing trip. That's why it's a documentary. This is how i approach structure in my videos.
Great analysis... How is your retention rate? in 7-9 min videos nad 12-15 min videos? SUB Also! :)

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
My retention rate is consistently above 50%. If it dips below it's 48%, I generally consider anything below 50% a failed video for me no matter the length.

Last edited:

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
How about an answer directly from YouTube (the company, not a random channel?

wowww this video was so useful! it has made me feel really inspired to create my next few videos. Fingers crossed implementing those tips helps me :)

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I go for quick and punchy... lively, creative camera angles with a different visual approach than you typically find in my niche (I consider myself to be the second-rate mix of Peter McKinnon and Robert Arrington). I cut out as much fat as I can physically cut out and I make sure that every video tells a story that takes the viewer from point A to point B with as best as possible.