• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion #Shorts in a Nutshell

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
There still seems to be some misinformation going around about shorts, so I would like to take a moment to make some general clarifications about YouTube Shorts videos. It seems a little confusing and some people seem to be getting the wrong impression about these videos, how they work and what they do for your channel. So let me take a few minutes to clarify what Shorts videos are...

Last summer India put a ban on Tik Tok, which left a gaping hole in a proven market that was very similar to that which YouTube already had some stake in. So YouTube jumped at the chance to take over some of that Tik Tok ground by creating the option to do Shorts videos. Shorts videos (and yes, it is plural and requires the 's' at the end) are much more simple to make than you think. You do not need to follow a different process or use a different uploader in order to make a Shorts video. You simply need to make your video with the following criteria;

1. The video must be UNDER 60 seconds in length
2. The video SHOULD be published in a vertical format
3. The title or description should include '#Shorts'

The reason for adding the #Shorts hashtag is because it helps YouTube to track these videos for research purposes... it isn't necessary but because it helps with visibility I would highly encourage doing it. And that is all you need to do. Some users have access to a dedicated camera option on their phone that will record and upload a video specifically as a Shorts video, but neither that nor the actual Shorts shelf are universal for all users at this time. Don't let that confuse you though; if you follow the above mentioned criteria your video is in consideration for the Shorts Shelf.

The Shorts Shelf is where the magic happens. If you have ever seen the YouTube Stories 'Shelf' you have seen the horizontally-scrolling short videos by creators. The Shorts Shelf has it's own 'shelf' just like it and for some users the Stories and Shorts shelves are combined into one. When your video hits one of these shelves the impact is immediate and dramatic; you experience a massive amount of views in a very short amount of time as viewers scroll quickly through the shelf. Because fewer people are making Shorts video there is less competition and it is far easier to get your video in front of a large audience that is consuming a large amount of content. For most users this drastic jump in views often ends just as quickly and within a a day or two it dies completely. There are cases where the videos continue to produce traffic, though at a far less pace.

Now because of the nature of these videos the metrics are going to appear far different than your regular longform content. It is far easier to keep a viewers attention for under sixty seconds than say a ten minute video, so Shorts videos often see Average View Duration that can be several-hundred percent. This is due to viewers going back and re-watching the video, and this should be the desired result. Don't be fooled; everyone is getting AVD's with astronomical values. So just because you managed to pull a 250% AVD doesn't mean you are automatically outperforming all the other videos that you are competing against.

Another difference that you are going to see is your Click Through Rate. Shorts videos do not feature your thumbnail on the Shorts shelf and instead will be seen with a screen grab from your video. For smaller creators this is good because it provides a level playing field for all. It is also a total roll of the dice; you can not affect the screen grab YouTube uses. Because of this it is again a coin flip whether the screen shot YT uses is going to work well for you or not.

Does this mean you should not create a custom thumbnail? Absolutely not! You need to treat your Shorts videos like regular videos. Once they have left the Shorts shelf they still have a second life as a regular video and should be treated like a regular video in that regard. Custom thumbnails, SEO, descriptions, translations etc are all still valuable tools to help this video to be a continued performer for your channel.

In order to get the most out of these videos there are a couple things you need to know in order to maximize the value that you get out of them. For starters these massive amounts of views that you get are largely for vanity sake. They do not play ads on the Shorts shelf, so you are not going to be collecting astronomical amounts of ad revenue. And the watch time that you garner is also for vanity's sake; it does not count towards your 4,000 hours for monetization. The value of Shorts videos is in the exposure they provide. It is very easy to get in front of a large amount of viewers that you had not previously had access to. As such this is a tremendous opportunity for earning subscribers. This is why it is absolutely critical that your Shorts videos fall in line with your regular, longform content. If you are an amazingly-decent fishing channel and you start posting Shorts videos about your cat then the audience is not going to be interested in your content and is likely not going to subscribe or worse; they will subscribe and will not watch your videos (sending a negative feedback signal to YT that maybe your content isn't worth sharing out). Find a way to compress your regular content into these shorts and be sure to include a valuable proposition for the viewer to subscribe and these Shorts videos can provide well.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
This is a detailed and important message. I wanted to clarify one thing on the above because I've worked with a lot of people to troubleshoot this problem.
2. The video MUST be published in a vertical format

9:16 is easiest, but it is currently a custom resolution in most editors. You will need to set the dimensions.

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
This is a detailed and important message. I wanted to clarify one thing on the above because I've worked with a lot of people to troubleshoot this problem.
2. The video MUST be published in a vertical format

9:16 is easiest, but it is currently a custom resolution in most editors. You will need to set the dimensions.
You are mostly right there... Shorts can actually be published horizontally (Mr. Beast has been playing with horizontal shorts). The results dont look good and everyone highly encourages you to ignore that and focus on vertical, but technically you can post them in a horizontal format.

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Excellent write up, IΓÇÖve been experimenting with shorts videos for quite some time, and definitely kept them all on topic with my regular content, or as on topic as I possibly can, like posting a teaser of whatΓÇÖs coming up, or shortening a regular video I did, or putting out a short message wishing a Happy New Year or something like that, I wouldnΓÇÖt post an oil painting video then suddenly post a shorts video of a dog farting or something pointless like that anyways.

My shorts videos havenΓÇÖt gained much traction anyways so I think itΓÇÖs time to get back to regular content.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB
OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Excellent write up, IΓÇÖve been experimenting with shorts videos for quite some time, and definitely kept them all on topic with my regular content, or as on topic as I possibly can, like posting a teaser of whatΓÇÖs coming up, or shortening a regular video I did, or putting out a short message wishing a Happy New Year or something like that, I wouldnΓÇÖt post an oil painting video then suddenly post a shorts video of a dog farting or something pointless like that anyways.

My shorts videos havenΓÇÖt gained much traction anyways so I think itΓÇÖs time to get back to regular content.
I think they are worth doing if you can quickly and easily take pre-existing content and hammer it out as a fun little short. Otherwise they aren't worth the time. I would encourage you to keep tryin as it only takes one good one to skyrocket, but I don't blame you if you feel like moving on. I want to capitalize on the trend but I am getting sick of them already myself.

• Love
Reactions: Dandy Coward

Dandy Coward

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
There still seems to be some misinformation going around about shorts, so I would like to take a moment to make some general clarifications about YouTube Shorts videos. It seems a little confusing and some people seem to be getting the wrong impression about these videos, how they work and what they do for your channel. So let me take a few minutes to clarify what Shorts videos are...

Last summer India put a ban on Tik Tok, which left a gaping hole in a proven market that was very similar to that which YouTube already had some stake in. So YouTube jumped at the chance to take over some of that Tik Tok ground by creating the option to do Shorts videos. Shorts videos (and yes, it is plural and requires the 's' at the end) are much more simple to make than you think. You do not need to follow a different process or use a different uploader in order to make a Shorts video. You simply need to make your video with the following criteria;

The reason for adding the #Shorts hashtag is because it helps YouTube to track these videos for research purposes... it isn't necessary but because it helps with visibility I would highly encourage doing it. And that is all you need to do. Some users have access to a dedicated camera option on their phone that will record and upload a video specifically as a Shorts video, but neither that nor the actual Shorts shelf are universal for all users at this time. Don't let that confuse you though; if you follow the above mentioned criteria your video is in consideration for the Shorts Shelf.

The Shorts Shelf is where the magic happens. If you have ever seen the YouTube Stories 'Shelf' you have seen the horizontally-scrolling short videos by creators. The Shorts Shelf has it's own 'shelf' just like it and for some users the Stories and Shorts shelves are combined into one. When your video hits one of these shelves the impact is immediate and dramatic; you experience a massive amount of views in a very short amount of time as viewers scroll quickly through the shelf. Because fewer people are making Shorts video there is less competition and it is far easier to get your video in front of a large audience that is consuming a large amount of content. For most users this drastic jump in views often ends just as quickly and within a a day or two it dies completely. There are cases where the videos continue to produce traffic, though at a far less pace.

Now because of the nature of these videos the metrics are going to appear far different than your regular longform content. It is far easier to keep a viewers attention for under sixty seconds than say a ten minute video, so Shorts videos often see Average View Duration that can be several-hundred percent. This is due to viewers going back and re-watching the video, and this should be the desired result. Don't be fooled; everyone is getting AVD's with astronomical values. So just because you managed to pull a 250% AVD doesn't mean you are automatically outperforming all the other videos that you are competing against.

Another difference that you are going to see is your Click Through Rate. Shorts videos do not feature your thumbnail on the Shorts shelf and instead will be seen with a screen grab from your video. For smaller creators this is good because it provides a level playing field for all. It is also a total roll of the dice; you can not affect the screen grab YouTube uses. Because of this it is again a coin flip whether the screen shot YT uses is going to work well for you or not.

Does this mean you should not create a custom thumbnail? Absolutely not! You need to treat your Shorts videos like regular videos. Once they have left the Shorts shelf they still have a second life as a regular video and should be treated like a regular video in that regard. Custom thumbnails, SEO, descriptions, translations etc are all still valuable tools to help this video to be a continued performer for your channel.

In order to get the most out of these videos there are a couple things you need to know in order to maximize the value that you get out of them. For starters these massive amounts of views that you get are largely for vanity sake. They do not play ads on the Shorts shelf, so you are not going to be collecting astronomical amounts of ad revenue. And the watch time that you garner is also for vanity's sake; it does not count towards your 4,000 hours for monetization. The value of Shorts videos is in the exposure they provide. It is very easy to get in front of a large amount of viewers that you had not previously had access to. As such this is a tremendous opportunity for earning subscribers. This is why it is absolutely critical that your Shorts videos fall in line with your regular, longform content. If you are an amazingly-decent fishing channel and you start posting Shorts videos about your cat then the audience is not going to be interested in your content and is likely not going to subscribe or worse; they will subscribe and will not watch your videos (sending a negative feedback signal to YT that maybe your content isn't worth sharing out). Find a way to compress your regular content into these shorts and be sure to include a valuable proposition for the viewer to subscribe and these Shorts videos can provide well.
The detailed highlights about YouTube shorts that I have read above is of much value to me because for me 90%-95% of my content on youtube is youtube shorts.
Although I do not get into the shorts shelf often or not for massive amount of views,I still wish to continue making youtube shorts because it favours me using my smartphone to shoot videos for a shorter duration and edit from the phone too.
I know if I remain consistent on making youtube shorts videos one day I will feature in the shorts shelf and gain a million views and that will be my happy day.

• Love

Dandy Coward

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
They are not likely to get monetized at all
YouTube shorts can be monetized so long as it reaches 40 seconds the only difference is that ads do not display when the video is being watched from the shorts shelf but when it is being watched as a regular video tha adds can display

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal

Great info! :D

• Love
OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
YouTube shorts can be monetized so long as it reaches 40 seconds the only difference is that ads do not display when the video is being watched from the shorts shelf but when it is being watched as a regular video tha adds can display
When you say 'Shorts' you are inherently referring to the time when your video is on the Shelf. There is not likely to be ads placed on the Shorts Shelf. When your video is no longer on the Shelf it is still a regular video on your channel and views obtained from your standard traffic sources will be treated like any other video. They will have ads, can have endscreens and cards, thumbanils etc.

• Love
Reactions: Dandy Coward

Dandy Coward

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
When you say 'Shorts' you are inherently referring to the time when your video is on the Shelf. There is not likely to be ads placed on the Shorts Shelf. When your video is no longer on the Shelf it is still a regular video on your channel and views obtained from your standard traffic sources will be treated like any other video. They will have ads, can have endscreens and cards, thumbanils etc.
Exactly,you have got it right,thumbs up

DougP Vlogs

Subscriber Goal
You are mostly right there... Shorts can actually be published horizontally (Mr. Beast has been playing with horizontal shorts). The results dont look good and everyone highly encourages you to ignore that and focus on vertical, but technically you can post them in a horizontal format.
I have done both. Vertical and horizontal and have had a couple of each format do okay.

• Love

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm curious to know more about this. Has Mr Beast published any traffic source data to show that his horizontal shorts attempts have actually got shorts traffic? I know he's been doing experiments in horizontal format which has gone against the vertical requirements because he was testing "For the future" but up til now I was under the impression they had to be vertical.

The "only" way to prove they are showing up in the shorts shelf even when uploaded in horizontal, is to see the traffic source data showing the shorts shelf.
Screenshot (7765).png

Maybe I myself should try that as an experiment just for the fun of it.

I'm also watching my traffic sources data to see if shorts actually impacts the likelyhood of a shorts showing up more often in regular suggested videos, and if more suggested traffic, suggests more likelyhood to end up in the shorts shelf.

I'd love to see if anyone has a screenshot showing 2 or more spikes in the shorts shelf. I do hear shorts can be placed in the shorts shelf more than once.

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I'm curious to know more about this. Has Mr Beast published any traffic source data to show that his horizontal shorts attempts have actually got shorts traffic? I know he's been doing experiments in horizontal format which has gone against the vertical requirements because he was testing "For the future" but up til now I was under the impression they had to be vertical.

The "only" way to prove they are showing up in the shorts shelf even when uploaded in horizontal, is to see the traffic source data showing the shorts shelf.
View attachment 9477

Maybe I myself should try that as an experiment just for the fun of it.

I'm also watching my traffic sources data to see if shorts actually impacts the likelyhood of a shorts showing up more often in regular suggested videos, and if more suggested traffic, suggests more likelyhood to end up in the shorts shelf.

I'd love to see if anyone has a screenshot showing 2 or more spikes in the shorts shelf. I do hear shorts can be placed in the shorts shelf more than once.
I haven't seen any data, I just use him as a reference because I know he was experimenting with it. The little bit that I've heard thus far is that Shorts Videos in horizontal format are a total dud.

Reactions: Beanie Draws
OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Very nice explanation. Thanks. Even though I personally hate vertical video, I am a fisherman at heart and live by the rule of, "Use the lure that works, not just the lure you like." I am not sure if there is a way for me to compress my content down to 60 seconds, but maybe there is a way to use shorts to promote my channel and other content.

I am the college professor type. It is difficult for me to think in terms of memes that use an incomplete unsubstantiated statement to make a point. And that is kind of what I see video shorts as. Most shorts I see are just gobbledegook content with no true value other than a short emotional jolt. Mostly, people acting stupid for the sake of getting a reaction. That kind of content drives me bug batty nuts. It's like crack cocaine for the eyes. I know the younger generation thrives on this kind of emotional video crack, but I have never smoked, drank, or done drugs in my life, because even as a teenager I looked at others doing that stuff and said, "Well, that's stupid!"

As a YouTuber, I feel like doing shorts is a smart move, but it is so counter to my nature. Maybe that is why my channel demographics are 95% males between the ages of 30 and 60. :joy:
Man I could not agree with you more. I despise vert video, although I do appreciate how people are able to accomplish a 'story' in under 60 seconds so well. It's an art form. Not one that I am good at I'm afraid. I'll take snippets from videos and post them as shorts for the sake of teaser-trailers and social media posts. But that's about it. Just not my strong suite.

Glamaton

glamatonmich.net
Subscriber Goal

Thanks for the information, I'm a reggae artist, and what I do is upload short clips of me performing live that are under 22 seconds long, which seems to be working because people are subscribing to my channel. I'm not sure if it's from here or the Shorts, but I started both at the same time and am grateful in either way

• Love
OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Thanks for the information, I'm a reggae artist, and what I do is upload short clips of me performing live that are under 22 seconds long, which seems to be working because people are subscribing to my channel. I'm not sure if it's from here or the Shorts, but I started both at the same time and am grateful in either way
Nice man! If it works roll with it, and if you ever have any questions we got you!

Reactions: Glamaton