• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Does YouTube Squash Channels that have been idle?

DougieBoy

I made a YouTube channel in 2016, in 2018 I got extremely burned out and left YouTube. Now it's 2021, I'm working on getting my channel back up and going. But finding it difficult. Is YouTube Algorithm squashing my new videos because I haven't update the channel in so long. I just posted 2 new videos last week, but struggling to get into the search results even if I'm targeting perfect keywords with good search volumes?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
No. It just depends on your community really.

Last year I was inactive for the majority of the year thanks to covid, but I still managed to amass 5k subscribers.
In 2018 I amassed 10k by not doing very much.

If you have evergreen content and have good search engine optimisation, and good calls to action, you can theoretically get more subscribers.

BUT remember user behaviour. If I find a video that's in my recommended, I might subscribe without even checking the rest of the rest of the channel. But if someone finds a video that's a year old, and that just happens to be your most recent video, that 1 year gap between videos could give new visitors a signal that you're no longer on YouTube and that there's no reason to subscribe or return.

This is why it's good to stay active in your community just to let people know you're still around.
My first videos that I've published after long hiatuses have always done surprisingly well, and even if they don't do well in views, they do well in engagement.

The algorithm follows human behavour. If humans aren't following your channel because you're inactive, then it's basically up to your evergreen content to do the heavy lifting.

YouTube just answered this:

The issue with this video is it only covers a 60 day period (Which you don't really want to be going longer than 2 months without content anyway) so doesn't take into factors those who take longer periods.

Also, if you don't upload for longer than 6 months, you also get kicked out of the YouTube Partner Program and will have to re-apply. I was concerned about this last year as I took a 5 month gap and was getting very close to the 6 month cut off period.

Naheed

Known Member
www.coupongot.com
Subscriber Goal
You don't need to worry, as sometimes it may be due to various reasons that delay in getting views and subscribers.
I will suggest to:
  • Use proper keywords
  • Check the title of your video again.
  • Check the quality of the video description
  • The content should be engaging enough to attract more views
  • Completing your YT profile with an avatar, homepage links, & banner.

super8tovideo

I took a two-year break do to medical issues. I am deliberately uploading what I call low traffic videos at the moment to learn. I do not want to upload videos I know will get lots of traffic because I would rather learn the system again and when I know more will upload high traffic videos. In, that two years my daily view count went down but I make tutorials so my subscriber base increased. I suspect it is not YouTube that is holding you back. Probably the niche you are in has gotten more competitive.