• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question YouTube Shorts

Dandy Coward

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hello,I have currently decided to be posting my youtube videos inform of shorts that is 1:1 and 9:16 ratio so that I can get access into the youtube shorts shelve and thereby gain subscribers but i think think it is also not so easy my youtube pals

OP
OP
Dandy Coward

Dandy Coward

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I am researching the Shorts as well. Just started doing short videos. Makes it easier to post more
I have 41 subscribers but around 36 of them I got from those who were watching my youtube short videos

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
This isn't a question about the TubeBuddy plugin or app, so I've moved it to YouTube discussion.

I've played a bit with Shorts. Basically the lesson is to NOT use it JUST to get views and subs. Use them to provide value, and if you provide value that your audience deems worth watching or subscribing, then you'll get more subscribers and views because of it. You can always do calls to action etc, but nothing is guranteed. I've make about 4 or so shorts, 2 of them made it into the shorts shelf breifly, and 2 of them never ended up in there. I definitely didn't get the hundreds of thousands of views that some have gotten.

shorts.PNG

Also, the silly thing about shorts, is to get them to show up on your channel on mobile, you actually have to activate them on desktop creator studio which is silly, but that's how it's done. If you haven't already activated it, follow my yellow highlights. You add them as a featured section under customisation and they'll appear as "short videos"

Screenshot_2021-01-21-09-28-52-79.png
Then they will show up on your home page on mobile. But you don't get to choose which thumbnail will appear when in the shorts shelf, YouTube auto pics.

No doubt all of this will change over time as it's still in the early stages, and I still don't have access to the shorts shelf on my default YouTube app.

• Love
Reactions: Dandy Coward

Naheed

Known Member
www.coupongot.com
Subscriber Goal
Youtube short has many advantages that can be seen from various short videos.
The viewer can easily subscribe and many people do not have time to watch long
videos. So, mostly short videos are preferred to watch more. Short videos can really
help you get onto the YouTube platform

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Once again, all I'm hearing is views and subs. Honestly people who only go after views and subs don't make it on YouTube. Why? Because people know that the only thing you care about is views and subs. The question should be, "How do I use shorts to help/serve my audience?"

You have to know who you are serving. If you're just serving yourself, then you won't grow much. The answer to most YouTube questions comes from asking, "How can I better serve my audience."

Last edited:

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Once again, all I'm hearing is views and subs. honestly people who only go after views and subs don't make it on YouTube. Why? Because people know that the only thing you care about is views and subs. The question should be, "How do I use shorts to help/serve my audience?"

You have to know who you are serving. If you're just serving yourself, then you won't grow much. The answer to most YouTube questions comes from asking, "How can I better serve my audience."
Couldn't agree more! Serve your audience with value, and they will naturally reward you.

I honestly get more satisfaction from the comments I get over whatever numbers I get.

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
We all want views and subscribers, that canΓÇÖt be denied, but as pointed out by @Damon, if thatΓÇÖs all we focus on, nothing will come from it (or something like that), when was the last time you furiously looked for something you really needed, like the car keys, only to NOT find it? Well itΓÇÖs kind of like that when trying to find views and subs, and when we stop focusing ALL our energy on views and subs, theyΓÇÖll more likely come to you.

IΓÇÖve been using shorts to either promote my previous work in the form of shorts, for those that missed it, use shorts as a teaser of what is coming up, or relay a short message of something, such as a Happy New Year or whatever, with no thought of trying to gain subs and/or views.

Dear autocorrect, YOU SUCK!!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Dandy Coward
OP
OP
Dandy Coward

Dandy Coward

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
shorts are good way to increase subs and audience but doesn't count to watch hour at the moment
How do you see If we suggest a video which is not shorts in the shorts which is gaining very many views?
Can't it work to use shorts to suggest videos which will count towards watch hour.

OceanShip

JE Ships
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I might start doing shorts, they seem to be pretty effective on subscriber counts.

HeatherPsyD

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I do not like shorts. I have several videos that are essentially "shorts," so they are bringing in a lot of traffic, but I think they take away from the rest of my channel. :expressionless:

Damoforce

TubeBuddy Pro
If you upload a shorts from the computer, does it not get picked up? Even if it's 1080 x 1920. I just want the thumbnail to make it look cleaner

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
can we post youtube shorts on the computer yt site?
Yes, as long as the video file it'self is vertical format, under 1 minute (I aim for 58 seconds max) and you include #shorts in your title, it will work. I've been uploading only from computer on the yt site

I do not like shorts. I have several videos that are essentially "shorts," so they are bringing in a lot of traffic, but I think they take away from the rest of my channel. :expressionless:
why do you think they take away from the rest of your channel? genuinely curious

how do you make a video show up in youtube shorts
There's no real specific or guaranteed way to get into the shorts shelf. Some will, some won't. I've had some never get into youtube shorts, and some that have briefly, others got in longer. For now there's no way to guarantee to get in, just like there's no way to guarantee getting onto trending. To improve your chances, make sure your content is good and worth watching. You can't force someone to watch content they're not interested in watching. You have to be compelling.

Quack Quack #HHBMV

www.quackquackbeats.com
Subscriber Goal
I like to create shorts because they have reuse value on TikTok and Instagram and absolutely drive up YouTube sub rate without having to advertise. These are organic subs, remember. There can be value in that. The views off a short IMO are worthless though beyond exposure for subs since they do nothing for watch time stats (as someone previously mentioned). I make beat videos, so I have the luxury of being able to make a 2:30 vid, post it, flip it into a short, post it again, and then cross post to IG and TikTok. I think this unique to my niche and might not work for everyone.

OP
OP
Dandy Coward

Dandy Coward

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
If you upload a shorts from the computer, does it not get picked up? Even if it's 1080 x 1920. I just want the thumbnail to make it look cleaner
Hey,so long as its vertical or square there are chances that you will appear on the shorts shelf but we can not guarantee if it will feature or not but what I can advise you is that make shorts videos about trending topics and things that are entertaining. I have always seen comedy and dance videos feature too much on youtube shorts shelf.

Quack Quack #HHBMV

www.quackquackbeats.com
Subscriber Goal
Hey,so long as its vertical or square there are chances that you will appear on the shorts shelf but we can not guarantee if it will feature or not but what I can advise you is that make shorts videos about trending topics and things that are entertaining. I have always seen comedy and dance videos feature too much on youtube shorts shelf.
Also remember it needs to be less than 60 seconds and tagging it #shorts doesn't hurt