• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Ranking in search occasionally but not getting views

Jasmineimari

IΓÇÖve been using TubeBuddy for 6 months now and I use the keyword explore for all of my videos including the suggested ones they give and IΓÇÖll see my video rank in searches a lot but IΓÇÖm not getting a lot of views. I dedicate time into quality thumbnails too and IΓÇÖve even done the hashtags in my description box, what am I doing wrong?

Reactions: Hoodsproduktion

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Usually when I'm targeting search it takes a year or more for that video to hit. In my case it's because it takes an entire fishing season for people to begin finding that video organically. You may not be doing anything wrong. There simply may not have been enough time for you videos to cycle through people's life cycles. People will always be behind you. There's always a lag.

Just keep making solid, SEO optimized content. Once you've trippled the number of videos you've uploaded, you'll have the data to start making a decisions about what you need to do.

Last edited:

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, there are several aspects to ranking and a bit of a learning curve. The first step is simply to learn how the system works in general. You need to learn how to discover keyword phrases that people are searching for with little competition etc. While I agree with Damon I think there is an additional element here; you have hit the 'sophmore slump' IMO. You are ranking for these 'easier' tags and that is great, but often they are easier because there is less traffic. So... now may be the time to start setting your sights on slightly more competitive tags. Instead of aiming for the 'sure thing' 100 SEO Score rated tags, dip your toes into a few tags with a little more competition and try to assert your authority in your niche to take over ranks in a few of these searches. Maybe try one or two of these per video just to see if you can gain some traction against the competition.

FYI If/when you begin aiming for these more competitive search terms you need to make sure your thumbnail game is 100% on point. CTR becomes even more critical when you begin wading into the deep end.

Kryptonite

It could also be the search volume of the keywords you are ranking for, if you are ranking but not a lot of people are searching for that keyword, then people are still not getting exposed to your videos.

Reactions: Damon

tropicthunder

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
It could also be the search volume of the keywords you are ranking for, if you are ranking but not a lot of people are searching for that keyword, then people are still not getting exposed to your videos.
Does this mean that we can "clickbaiting" keywords so that our videos get exposed even it's not related to the content itself ?

Kryptonite

Does this mean that we can "clickbaiting" keywords so that our videos get exposed even it's not related to the content itself ?
I wouldn't recommend "clickbaiting" keywords especially if it's not related to the content. It can lead to a very low retention and will hurt your chances of maintaining a high rank in search.

When you do your keyword research, look at the competition and search volume as well as the overall score.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal

People make clickbait videos all the time. The problem is no one will watch your video, you'll get a huge number of thumbs down, and people will leave tons of nasty comments. In the end the whole thing will backfire on you. The content and the keywords need to match. Again, if your content is horrible, your channel will not grow.

tropicthunder

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
People make clickbait videos all the time. The problem is no one will watch your video, you'll get a huge number of thumbs down, and people will leave tons of nasty comments. In the end the whole thing will backfire on you. The content and the keywords need to match. Again, if your content is horrible, your channel will not grow.
This make sense as people who want to find what they're looking for but ended up on the other side of youtube

OP
OP
J

Jasmineimari

Yeah, there are several aspects to ranking and a bit of a learning curve. The first step is simply to learn how the system works in general. You need to learn how to discover keyword phrases that people are searching for with little competition etc. While I agree with Damon I think there is an additional element here; you have hit the 'sophmore slump' IMO. You are ranking for these 'easier' tags and that is great, but often they are easier because there is less traffic. So... now may be the time to start setting your sights on slightly more competitive tags. Instead of aiming for the 'sure thing' 100 SEO Score rated tags, dip your toes into a few tags with a little more competition and try to assert your authority in your niche to take over ranks in a few of these searches. Maybe try one or two of these per video just to see if you can gain some traction against the competition.

FYI If/when you begin aiming for these more competitive search terms you need to make sure your thumbnail game is 100% on point. CTR becomes even more critical when you begin wading into the deep end.
True I never thought about that!

OP
OP
J

Jasmineimari

I usually make sure I edit my pictures for my thumbnail to make sure they are as clear as possible then I will use thumbnail maker to make my thumbnail, do you have any other suggestions. Also thank you for that tip IΓÇÖll definitely try to use a few more competitive search terms

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I usually make sure I edit my pictures for my thumbnail to make sure they are as clear as possible then I will use thumbnail maker to make my thumbnail, do you have any other suggestions. Also thank you for that tip IΓÇÖll definitely try to use a few more competitive search terms
My best suggestion is to do a search for your video before you make your thumbnail. You want to see the thumbnails you are going to be competing against. Get a feel for the style that works, but also see if you can take advantage of things people are not doing.

For example; I went and filmed a fishing trip at a lake. Before we left I did a search for the lake and all the thumbnails were the exact same; a beautiful green lake with a big blue sky. Every single thumbnail was the same. So I wore a red shirt on that trip. The red of that shirt stands out against all the other thumbnails in that search.

TheShihTzuFamily

Recognized Member
The best way to see if that video is rank is to check your IMPRESSIONS on that video if that number keep going up then viewer are seeing your video but not click on it.