• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Thumbnail Feedback Need ideas on improving CTR for LMAO video. Here are my thumbnails.

Melanie

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Legend
hubpages.com
Subscriber Goal
I have a video that's performing decently although the CTR is low relative to the rest of my channel. I've done several AB tests and here are the ones that tie for the best:

Copy of Copy of Copy of lmao rofl (1).png

LMAO meaning.jpg

Here are the thumbnails that completely flopped and brought the CTR down:
Copy of lmao rofl.jpg

lmao rofl.jpg

LMAO meaning (1).jpg

Given this information, is there anything anyone thinks I could do to really increase the CTR on this video?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I kinda like the last one seems LMAO is kinda texty, and that's the thinking emoji which is very texty, so my gut says to try the last one and A/B test it.

I guess it also depends on how often people are searching for that definition, I've found topic can also lower CTR. A topic that's not as interesting to people, is less likely to be clicked, and LMAO these days is a fairly well known, so here might be less demand for that particular knowledge, thus perhapse the topic it'self might mean less clicks.

What's the impressions like?

edited to add
Can you actually share the screenshots of the results? that will give even more context as to HOW some of the tied :)

Last edited:

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Definitely, absolutely, if youbgain anything from this at all... limit text on a thumbnail to 1-3 words max. Everything additional is detrimental.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I have a video that's performing decently although the CTR is low relative to the rest of my channel. I've done several AB tests and here are the ones that tie for the best:

View attachment 9013

View attachment 9014

Here are the thumbnails that completely flopped and brought the CTR down:
View attachment 9015
View attachment 9016
View attachment 9017

Given this information, is there anything anyone thinks I could do to really increase the CTR on this video?

I think knowing the top 2 work well is good. I'd recommend maybe trying to match the faces with the words. Try different emotion. It's a constant game, but the most effective is out there, and this shows the data is going well for you in the top 2. Do you have the tests results we could see? :)

Reactions: Melanie

Yilk81

TubeBuddy User
The facial expression of #2 doesn't match LMAO. But other than that 1 and 2 are def the ones that stand out. Probably also because of the color you chose to use for the text. Very impressed with all of them.

OP
OP
Melanie

Melanie

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Legend
hubpages.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been working on another thumbnail I'm A/B testing against the one with the girl that is *shocked* since someone recommended trying a minimalistic approach with the text on the image. I'm seeing pretty good results by eyeballing my traffic, but I'll have to wait until TubeBuddy gives me my results. It matches the very space-y "feel" to my channel. I have minor changes I want to make on it, but I'll see how this rough design pans out and then post all my test results.

Copy of Copy of Yellow and Black YouTube Channel Art.jpg