• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Best Piece of Advice for a Newbie

Shawny

TubeBuddy Pro
Hi everybody,

I'm still relatively new to the Youtube game (I started my channel about 5 months ago). What's the biggest and best piece of advice you would give to someone starting out?

Though I've been having a blast and am I highly motivated, everyone has there down days and moments of doubt...

Reactions: LaziboiGamer

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Make sure what you're doing, you're happy to do for the next 5-10 years regardless of the views and subs. Will make the whole overall experience far more enjoyable.

And learn how to make good thumbnails. I mean, topic is important, but even the best topic can't be saved with a messy thumbnail, so study good thumbnail design tactics.

OP
OP
Shawny

Shawny

TubeBuddy Pro
Thanks for the great advice :) Potentially dumb question, but what does CTR and AVP stand for?

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
There are 2 kinds of YouTubers:

Those who enjoy making videos and growth comes naturally.

and

Those who just want to make money and expect to start making a living off of YouTube after just a few videos.

Now, there's nothing wrong with wanting to make money off of making videos. But if you don't have a passion for actually making the videos and entertaining or educating an audience then the experience will be terrible because the goal will likely take longer than you expect and the amount of work that goes into maintaining a Youtube channel can be exhausting and frustrating if you're not enjoying the process of making the content, to begin with.

So basically like @Beanie Draws and @Stanley Orchard said:

I feel Beanie's response needs to be reiterated. Enjoy what you do regardless of vanity metrics and be prepared for the long haul.

Make sure what you're doing, you're happy to do for the next 5-10 years regardless of the views and subs. Will make the whole overall experience far more enjoyable.

And learn how to make good thumbnails. I mean, topic is important, but even the best topic can't be saved with a messy thumbnail, so study good thumbnail design tactics.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB
OP
OP
Shawny

Shawny

TubeBuddy Pro
All great advice :) I'm a performer and because of COVID I haven't been able to do what I love. This has been a great outlet for that! If people jump on board all the better!

MiahGraceSews

there IS such a thing as too much light. I surrounded myself with lamps and blinded myself for a wig review and didn't get much of a benefit from it, haha I just looked like a formless white blob.

Reactions: Shawny

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
My advice is to NEVER GIVE UP - there will be time when you really want to (when growth is slow and you feel like you're not going anywhere) but keep being consistent. Change your strategy but don't throw it all away

Damoforce

TubeBuddy Pro
I'm still starting out, but my advice is what I'm lacking. Consistency. Publish continually. And if chasing views, make sure your keywords and videos are being searched

• Love
Reactions: Shawny

Amanda Summers

Known Member
Hi everybody,

I'm still relatively new to the Youtube game (I started my channel about 5 months ago). What's the biggest and best piece of advice you would give to someone starting out?

Though I've been having a blast and am I highly motivated, everyone has there down days and moments of doubt...
I noticed in your 'silly dance' video that you haven't done the keywords. You should #3 keywords to show as the first thing in the description. If you do more than 3 it's really bad. Then you need to use the keyword tool and catch as many as you can up to 500 characters. Then you need to make the first 200 words of your description into a paragraph that naturally includes as many of your keywords as possible, including the title. I didn't focus on the mechanics of it and really got nowhere with some pretty helpful videos. Then I got serious using TB and I already see a big difference. You won't grow until you spend almost as much time on the metadata and description as doing the video. You have a cute channel. Best of luck to you.