• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Is this allowed in my YT videos?

Skynautics

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hello, everyone!

I just have a question regarding the use of photos and videos in my videos.

If I, for example, use NASA footage in my video BUT I credit them in the video and the description, is that allowed? Also, is it the same with photos?

I see youtubers using NASA or SpaceX footage but they put "Credit: NASA" or "Credit: SpaceX". Do I still need permission from the owners (ie. SpaceX, NASA, etc.) to use photos and videos from them if I already do all this?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm not too familiar with the requirements, but I believe if it's NASA and it's open source, they may very well have their own terms of service for how they require attributions.

I personally know another astronomy channel called "LaunchPad Astronomy" that frequently uses NASA footage with attributions. So I'd say study what he does with his videos, he might have to put references in his description as well, but I do know he uses credits on each image and I have seen this on other videos where they credit any individual photo they've used for demonstration purposes.

I'm not a lawyer so take that with a grain of salt. But I suspect look at their website for what THEY require in terms of use of their content when it's for educational or reference purposes.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

FunkyGeckos

Depends on licensing. For whatever you use, check if it has any attached information that says "copyright ___" or "to use please contact ___". Usually they will, but if they don't have any information then it's usually a gamble.

OP
OP
Skynautics

Skynautics

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Depends on licensing. For whatever you use, check if it has any attached information that says "copyright ___" or "to use please contact ___". Usually they will, but if they don't have any information then it's usually a gamble.

If I may ask, what does "comp" mean? I saw it somewhere on the CNN Collection, which I think allows people to use their photos, videos, etc. for free but with a watermark.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Generally speaking this is not allowed. All images are copyrighted (in some form). They are someones intellictual property and you need permission to use them, you can not just use them, apply a credit and use anything you want. Now some people openly allow you to use their work (Pixabay as an example). NASA may allow you to do so, but I couldn't say if they do or not. As Beanie said Launchpad is a great resource; you should become great friends with him. He would know the specifics of NASA image use.

Reactions: Skynautics