• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Is three anything wrong with deleting an old video and reposting it?

TrendingTenz

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Just out of curiosity, is there anything wrong with deleting an old video for whatever reason, or deleting it and reposting it afterwards?
Has anyone done this?

JavoDreams

Subscriber Goal
Technically no all I have noticed when deleting videos from a few years back is your view count on your channel will decrease cause that video is not actually there.

Reactions: ReneeRejoice
OP
OP
TrendingTenz

TrendingTenz

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Technically no all I have noticed when deleting videos from a few years back is your view count on your channel will decrease cause that video is not actually there.
Yes that would make sense, because it's been removed completely which would remove all the hours watched on it.

Reactions: ReneeRejoice

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
What if you 'unlist' it? I had one that had a bogus copyright issue (years after it was posted, and later the issue cleared up). I reposted it, with 'that' song removed, but did not delete the older one, just unlisted. I was never sure if the unlisted video's stats still counted or not. But I knew if I deleted it, the data would be lost.

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Just out of curiosity, is there anything wrong with deleting an old video for whatever reason, or deleting it and reposting it afterwards?
Has anyone done this?
If the video had a good trend + views and watch time, then you'll lose that if you decide to delete or unlist the video.

Remember that there will be viewers who notice the re-uploads and it could irritate your viewers.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Has anyone done this?
I'd say the "Best" or "only" way I'd delete a video and re-post it is if the video was never performing in the first place, and in hindsight, the editing and flow could have been better. So if you can improve the original video somehow, in some cases I think you could get away with it, and it's something I've been considering with some of my original older content.

That said, if you don't plan to change anything about it, I'd argue what you plan to achieve? How will the results be any different to the first time posting?

What I'd also do, before deleting is gather all the relevant data such as overall audience retention percentage, and thumbnail impressions and CTR, and once re-uploading, see if there's actually any notable change. I'd do something like that on an experimental channel just to see if year of release has any impact on overall data.

Another question, why can't you simply remake the video? Do a slightly different version with a new filming and editing style, change up the dialogue, and point out that it's an updated take on a very old video, and that might make you less likely to be called out for "recycling old content for views"

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I am not one to delete anything. Even if it only got one view there is always the random chance it could be the one that inexplicably explodes. My course of action is to do a re-edit; you can recycle footage and update accordingly in order to create a new video based on the old one. This gives you a chance to improve not only the video itself but your chances of performing better in Search and Suggested for the same topic and it helps to gain some authority in YouTube SDS.

That having been said when I tackle a repeat of a topic I have already done I try to put as much time between these videos as possible. For a total recycle of old footage I would wait at least a year, and honestly would consider a total overhaul/makeover edit even after four years. First and foremost respect your audience.

OP
OP
TrendingTenz

TrendingTenz

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it, and yes I was going to edit the old videos as I have extremely low views and wanted to improve the video as I've improved my skills.

But both great feedback that I really have to look into !