• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Camera Gear Now is a good time to buy a USED camera!

BensTechLab

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.benstechlab.com
Subscriber Goal
There were a lot of great new cameras released in the last few months (that cost thousands of dollars). And many "pros" are upgrading and selling their old gear.

If you are a new-ish YouTuber without a ton of cashflow, then now is a great time to buy a used camera for cheap!

I already have a Sony a6400 which is great and has an audio input jack for external mics (Deity VMic D3 Pro). Now I just bought 2x Sony a6000's for $400 CAD each (around $300 USD each) for more camera angles. They came complete with carrying cases, batteries, chargers, etc. Even got one circular polarizer filter and a kit lens with one. I'm too new to need to produce content in 4k, so a little older cameras like this are totally perfect to add in more camera angles without spending a crazy amount of cash!

So if you are new-ish or even just starting out, you should totally browse around your local facebook marketplace, craigslist, kijiji or whatever is popular around you. You may score a really good deal on a full-hd camera (that doesn't do 4k).

• Love
Reactions: Damon

Bulltahr

Motorcycles, since the 80's......
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I just bought an "as new" camera that somebody bought before Lockdown and then decided it wasn't for them. There should be a lot of near new cameras from abandoned projects around at the moment, then after Xmas there will be a bunch more!

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I'm actually gonna look into getting a camera for my future videos so I can have 2 cameras. I want to be able to record myself separate from my gameplay so I can adjust my camera video separately and move it around when necessary for better editing.

• Wow
Reactions: marcellasmind

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I guess when it comes to buying used cameras, especially DSLR cameras, the important part to keep in mind is the shutter and how much it's been used, and be weary of any dead pixels, but I have been thinking about getting a second hand camera to replace my old dead camera. It gets to the point where shutter replacement, and a second hand camera replacement are the same price. The only issue (and why used is always cheaper) is warrenty for when mechanical issues pop up in the camera.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I guess when it comes to buying used cameras, especially DSLR cameras, the important part to keep in mind is the shutter and how much it's been used, and be weary of any dead pixels, but I have been thinking about getting a second hand camera to replace my old dead camera. It gets to the point where shutter replacement, and a second hand camera replacement are the same price. The only issue (and why used is always cheaper) is warrenty for when mechanical issues pop up in the camera.
This will come across as weird advice, but sometimes buying used rental cameras from well-known shops is a good trick, since they tend to actually maintain the cameras and tend to replace fault parts. In the past, I have bought some amazing used equipment that looked like it had been through a war but was functionally perfect. Shout out to Glazer's Camera in Seattle

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I guess when it comes to buying used cameras, especially DSLR cameras, the important part to keep in mind is the shutter and how much it's been used, and be weary of any dead pixels, but I have been thinking about getting a second hand camera to replace my old dead camera. It gets to the point where shutter replacement, and a second hand camera replacement are the same price. The only
This will come across as weird advice, but sometimes buying used rental cameras from well-known shops is a good trick, since they tend to actually maintain the cameras and tend to replace fault parts. In the past, I have bought some amazing used equipment that looked like it had been through a war but was functionally perfect. Shout out to Glazer's Camera in Seattle
I'm definitely going to have to look into this because I have I have a few camera rental stores near me.

OP
OP
BensTechLab

BensTechLab

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.benstechlab.com
Subscriber Goal
I hear you @Beanie Draws, my thought process is that I'd be looking for a deal so good that I can consider the purchase a "throw away" purchase that is written off in one year's use or less. I'm viewing this purchase as more of an "operating expense" than an "asset investment".

I had a friend who replaced the shutter in his Sony A5100 and it was >$200 CAD after labour and taxes. I bought my used A6000's for $400 CAD each with kit lenses, batteries and carrying cases. So the camera body itself wouldn't have been materially more than the cost of a shutter replacement. But it's certainly a risk for sure! I just weight the benefit more than the risk. I'm sure one day that risk won't be worth it, but today in my budget, it is totally worth it.

Laurenk

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I'm currently using my iPhone 7 until I can afford a camera