• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Question What should I be using instead of .H264?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
So .H264 is a great compression method to keep video formats small, so generally I've been using that to upload to my channel, also means storing it on my computer is a lot easier. The problem I'm running into now thanks to Davinci Resolve is apparently .H264 is a very CPU intense compression method to be using while editing.

So I guess the simple question (I'd Google it, but would love some thoughts from creators here) what codec do you EDIT with to keep the stress off your CPU?

goldfries

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Using H.264 as well, maybe time to upgrade the computer. :D

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I edit Blackmagic RAW. But h.264 shouldn't be significantly taxing. Are you on a desktop or a laptop? Do you have the GPU acceleration set?

Other thing to check - if it is mostly just editing performance then go to the "Playback" menu -> Proxy Mode and pick "Half Resolution". That will help with the editing slowness.

OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I edit Blackmagic RAW. But h.264 shouldn't be significantly taxing. Are you on a desktop or a laptop? Do you have the GPU acceleration set?

Other thing to check - if it is mostly just editing performance then go to the "Playback" menu -> Proxy Mode and pick "Half Resolution". That will help with the editing slowness.
My computer is a few years old now so I probably need to gradually update. Currently using a Ryzen 7 1700
Just upgraded to MSI B450M Mortar max (which I know makes no differance lol)
500GB samsung 970 evo plus nvme m.2 ssd
16gb ram (probably a bottleneck now, will probably look into upgrading that to 32gb ram)
GTX 1080ti Strix. so it's a few years old now, but should still be able to manage a few things.

Got my playback proxies set to quater resolution seems the preview can't really be expanded anyway.
I do have GPU acceleration set, but I've read that's mostly a thing in the paid version.

Would Blackmagic RAW be better on storage than some of the other ones out there?

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
The files can be quite large. They are just really efficient because of low compression.

Reactions: Beanie Draws
OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
The files can be quite large. They are just really efficient because of low compression.
Yeah I've been finding that out recently. My source folder is around 1.5gb and the converted files are up to around 70gb. Interestingly enough, some videos I've had the issue with, others I haven't (in terms of playback) the playback issue is always a problem between cuts and cross fade transitions.

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
Yeah I've been finding that out recently. My source folder is around 1.5gb and the converted files are up to around 70gb. Interestingly enough, some videos I've had the issue with, others I haven't (in terms of playback) the playback issue is always a problem between cuts and cross fade transitions.
Yeah, those are typically Fusion and they need to render before they smooth out. I don't have Davinci in front of me, but there is a setting to change how/when it renders the Fusion stuff

OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm still too new to Davinci to know how to work out the fusion rendering. Premiere pro is a lot easier in selective rendering so you don't need to render the WHOLE timeline. Haven't figured out how to do selective rendering for Davinci yet but I'm sure it's in there.

Fleurdwi Cooking

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
To keep the stress on CPU low you can do the following:

Set affinity (Control + shift + escape, go to details, right click the program that is CPU intensive, and deselect some CPUs). This is available for multi core cpus. disable per 2 as this is one core.

Proxy editting (Shotcut has it)

Hope it helps, it helped me a lot :)