• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Camera Gear So I am pretty sold on the Canon M50. Change my mind!

Randomlifestylevlog

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
So I am pretty sold on Canon M50. Change my mind! We have been doing our research and feel this is probably a suitable option for recording our videos for our channel. We have a little rode mic and good lighting setup so we think this will be a great addition. Opinions?

• Love
Reactions: Md jaki Mr

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
No one is going to change your mind. It a good camera.

I WILL make a suggestion though. Think long term about your ecosystem investment. This is step one, but as you buy lenses, etc. you are more or less committing to the Canon ecosystem. There is nothing wrong with that, but it means you will be subject to their resolutions, file formats, etc. And it will be very expensive to switch to another ecosystem unless they have adapters for the lenses you have.

OP
OP
Randomlifestylevlog

Randomlifestylevlog

TubeBuddy Pro
www.linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
We mostly will be shooting inside at close range. So, for now, the kit lens will probably be enough. May get something slightly different at some point but we will only shoot at 1080p due to the content or our channel is simple.

BensTechLab

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.benstechlab.com
Subscriber Goal
I won't change your mind, but would agree with @SILTHW . It's more about what camera "ecosystem" you want to "marry". As you start to collect more lenses and batteries, it becomes harder and harder to switch platforms!

I went the Sony route with a Sony a6400. The Sony mirrorless cameras are one of the thinnest from sensor to lens mount and can therefor be adapted to most any other lens mount if desired. Also shares the same mount (Sony E Mount) between APS-C and Full Frame. So if you start with a crop sensor camera and later upgrade to full frame you can run their full frame cameras in a "crop mode" and keep using your lenses as a transition step. Canon has a bunch of different lens mount formats and I think just invented another new one.

That said the Canon M50 is a top YouTuber pick, right next to the Sony a6400. I think they are both top picks and comes down to personal preference (and maybe which YouTubers you like to learn from. Peter Lindgren = Sony, Tom Buck = Canon, Jason Vong = Sony, Potato Jet = both - but more Sony, Peter McKinnon = Cannon, DSLR Video Shooter = Both). So you may just like tutorials from certain creators you are subscribed to and that will influence your personal preferences.

Reactions: Randomlifestylevlog

Jim Banks

www.spadesmedia.com
Subscriber Goal
I own an M50 and it is a great camera.

The only thing I don't like about it is that there is no clean HDMI.

There is a Canon EOS Webcam utility that has just come out of beta but I still find it difficult to connect.

I would recommend you invest in the Sigma 16mm 1.4 lens, it is so much better than the kit lens and means you can vlog if that is what you want to do and you will look perfect.

OP
OP
Randomlifestylevlog

Randomlifestylevlog

TubeBuddy Pro
www.linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
So we ordered the canon M50 but we got the white one as it was only £479 in the Black Friday sale. I still prefer black but not my money! For now, we will just use the kit lens due to budget but also because this will be a step up from the Samsung galaxy phone we use. We have got to learn how to use it still! But thanks everyone for all your help! There is some useful feedback in here and I think this beneficial for many newbies to upgrading their camera!