• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Camera Gear Is sigma 16 mm 1.4 the best lens for Canon m50?

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
There is no best lens. What are you using it for? Be very aware that at 1.4 is has a very narrow plane of focus and without a fast continuous autofocus you will constantly come in and out of focus if you are moving. I say that because if you aren't using it below say 2.0, there are lenses that are a clear at a lower price point.

Also, while it looks like a firmware update fixed a lot of the issues, there were overheating and shutdown errors widely reported on the m50.

How do you plan to use it? What kind of lighting will you use?

Oh, and I own this lens and use it with a Sony A6400, so I'm not guessing at its focal plane and need for good continuous autofocus :)

Reactions: Melody Gilliland

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I am currently using canon m50 for my videos, thinking of getting sigma 16 1.4 lens to go with it. Anyone here using these duo? Is it worth it?
I use the Sigma 16mm 1.4 with my Sony A6400. I love it. I use it more than my Sony 35mm 1.8 due to the wider image. I can capture more without having to be as far away. Since I have an APC camera, it's an equivalent 24mm lens on a full frame camera. Only complaint is lack of OSS, but I use my tripod a lot. The image quality is great, and it wasn't super expensive.

• Love
Reactions: Melody Gilliland
OP
OP
Melody Gilliland

Melody Gilliland

melodygillilandphotography.com
Subscriber Goal
I use the Sigma 16mm 1.4 with my Sony A6400. I love it. I use it more than my Sony 35mm 1.8 due to the wider image. I can capture more without having to be as far away. Since I have an APC camera, it's an equivalent 24mm lens on a full frame camera. Only complaint is lack of OSS, but I use my tripod a lot. The image quality is great, and it wasn't super expensive.
This is really helpful. Thank you so much

Reactions: MiddleofKnowhere

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
It is nice piece of technology. Bokeh is great. Sharpness is really good. Autofocus is working well. The price is around 320 Euros and it is totally worth it.

Nice. I may have to invest and just get the "sigma trio" which is the 16, the 30, and then I want to say the 50 for the 3rd one? I def want some G lenses but those are super expensive.

Yoyo

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Nice. I may have to invest and just get the "sigma trio" which is the 16, the 30, and then I want to say the 50 for the 3rd one? I def want some G lenses but those are super expensive.
I am also thinking about to get the 56 mm. I have the Sony OSS 50mm right now, which is OK, but I love Sigma lenses. Really good quality for the price. Yes, the G lenses are so expensive.

Jim Banks

www.spadesmedia.com
Subscriber Goal
hey @Melody Gilliland I have the Sigma 16mm 1.4 for a Canon EOS M50 and it totally rocks.

I like it for many reasons :

- Nice bokeh
- Great in low light
- You can vlog without having to stretch your arm to an uncomfortable length

The one thing I would say is that it is much heavier than the kit lens for the M50

But for talking head videos it is perfect and never comes off my camera.

FreeStyleKing

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
From my practice lenses are all different, there is a good quality ones and not so good. But your lens chioce depends on your video concept, you chose lens with fits your work.

It is all about what you want to achieve with your shot. For example if you want bulry background you takw the lence with good bokeh so your subject will more sharp in the shot. If you recording in darker places you will use 1.4 lens before 3.5 or things like this.

Practicly every lens got his owm pupose and it is a director choice in order to make an athnosfere of the shot as planed.

If you can try differet lens set up and check that dirences, you can enjoy that process and maybe you will find some good new leces which will fit you even more in the future.