• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question What is the biggest personal challenge you've faced creating?

HalfwayDcent

Hi everyone!
My last video talked a little bit about my journey with my creativity and what I've found to be the biggest obstacle when posting youtube videos and sharing my art; my own insecurity. I became extremely critical of myself and it set me back until I found ways to cope and overcome it. It is something that I believe most people struggle with to an extent and because of that I believe it is a great thing to discuss amongst other creators.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? Or if not insecurity, what have YOU found to be the biggest thing you've struggled with as a creator either as a youtuber or in another medium? And MOST importantly, what steps have you or are you taking to overcome that challenge?

Some answer's I've gotten so far when talking on other platforms are disappointment in the rate of growth, losing enjoyment when having to put so much work in to be "successful", comparison to others, etc. Does any of this resonate with you? I'd love to hear your take on this.

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
My biggest issue is privacy. I live in a small apartment with my wife, 3 kids and mother in law. Privacy is not easy to come by here, even when it comes to adult things. I have my oldest sleeping in the living room, my middle son sleeps in the same room as his grandmother and my youngest has his bed in our room. We are all addicted to tech so every electronic in the house is used by someone and nearly every moment of the day. We only have 2 PCs (I know, that's more than a lot of people out there) and one belongs to my oldest who shares it with my middle son. My laptop is used by my wife, my youngest and me though my wife rarely uses it. 3 TVs in the house so when one is not using a PC they are watching TV and since my laptop is in my room with my TV someone is always here, besides me. Thus I can't record if the TV is on, which is just 2 feet away from my laptop.

In order for me to spend even 1 hour recording anything, I have to take away the laptop and the TV in my room. On top of that I have to count on everyone remembering I am recording not to walk into the room as I record. My youngest might have some form of autism so I can't expect him not to barge into my room to use the restroom in my room. If I lock the door they will just knock forgetting I am recording.

In essence, I have to take away a laptop, a TV, a restroom and demand everyone not be loud and remember not to disrupt me so I can record my content. Imagine doing this more than 1 time a week. As I write this my youngest barged into the room to explain to me the latest video on YouTube he just saw of which I have to listen to the whole explanation. Otherwise, he will either not stop talking or I risk hurting his feelings.

This is why I have not created content on my gaming channel in over a year and on my second channel in nearly a year. I've already tried starting again 3 times this year and my distractions persist. Thus I have no choice but to wait for the right moment. When will that be, who knows. Hopefully soon.

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I won't self promote but for a tiny bit. One of my videos in on inspiration vs discipline. Discipline is the key. I'm fortunate to know a lot of well-known artists, performers and comedians. Everyone will tell you the same thing - develop the discipline to put in the work every day and the rest takes care of itself.

Reactions: Deciden0w

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi everyone!
My last video talked a little bit about my journey with my creativity and what I've found to be the biggest obstacle when posting youtube videos and sharing my art; my own insecurity. I became extremely critical of myself and it set me back until I found ways to cope and overcome it. It is something that I believe most people struggle with to an extent and because of that I believe it is a great thing to discuss amongst other creators.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? Or if not insecurity, what have YOU found to be the biggest thing you've struggled with as a creator either as a youtuber or in another medium? And MOST importantly, what steps have you or are you taking to overcome that challenge?

Some answer's I've gotten so far when talking on other platforms are disappointment in the rate of growth, losing enjoyment when having to put so much work in to be "successful", comparison to others, etc. Does any of this resonate with you? I'd love to hear your take on this.

This year has been pretty challenging mentally. I've always dealt with general anxiety, so I gent to have small panic attacks before I hit publish, than a rush of excitement as the comments come rolling in... and then a sense of emptiness and depression as sometimes it generally ends up being fairly anti-climatic. Being an artist, I find the journey of creation more exciting than the exhibition, so once it's done... that it's... it's done, and then it's onto the next video.

This year I've dealt with a general sense of "can't be bothered" and have been feeling pretty antisocial. I've forgiven myself for that because 2020 has been a major challenge for everyone, and sometimes we just want to disconnect, so I've essentially just kept to myself and not really wanted to interact outside of small doses like on these forums and occasionally in stream chats. There's so much chaos going on in the world, that I just want some peace for my mind, so I've detached quite a bit for the sake of some silence and peace. But that doesn't benefit creation and growth. This doesn't bother me that much, but I do feel guilty for not providing videos to those who enjoy it, but at the end of the day I am my own boss, and if I punish myself for not fulfilling expectations, I'm turning an enjoyable experience, into a chore, and just avoiding it more and more which is what I've really been falling into the last month or 2, so it's about trying to keep myself out of that pit for me.

But it's 2020, and we have to find new ways to deal with new situations we're not used to dealing with, and that takes time, so I'm giving myself time.

Deciden0w

TubeBuddy Pro
savagebutsimple.business.site
Subscriber Goal
I won't self promote but for a tiny bit. One of my videos in on inspiration vs discipline. Discipline is the key. I'm fortunate to know a lot of well-known artists, performers and comedians. Everyone will tell you the same thing - develop the discipline to put in the work every day and the rest takes care of itself.

This is key! My niche is also related to discipline so to me this resonates a lot. Currently, discipline is definitely an on going thing and I'm still trying to balance my content creation and my other hobbies. As far as my content, I'm currently not a good speaker so I'm working very hard in improving my presentation skills on camera. It's frustrating how long I record my videos. For example, my last video (8 min) took me 2 hours to record! I know with time I'll get better but it's difficult sometimes. Specially when I watch other creators flawlessly deliver their subject with no cut or edit. I want to be like that. That's one of my goal