• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Review Need feedback on this effects heavy video.

TheHappyKidShow

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
User name: TheHappyKidShow
Title of thread: Need feedback on this effects heavy video.
Self review: I think I put together a pretty good video. I feel the retention is there and you don't necessarily have to be a kid or parent to enjoy this video. However, Its been two weeks since I uploaded a YouTube video and I notice this video is not doing as well as my previous videos. I need honest feedback on what may have gone wrong in this video or if I shot myself in the foot by not keeping to the schedule. If you have TubBuddy, you can see the keywords I used. I tried my best to use Google Keywords to find the perfect SEO. Appreciate the help.
Channel review or Video review? Video review

Link to Video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6cAuqUD4J8

Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/24939/post-95798

issabelle leo

Subscriber Goal
User name: TheHappyKidShow
Title of thread: Need feedback on this effects heavy video.
Self review: I think I put together a pretty good video. I feel the retention is there and you don't necessarily have to be a kid or parent to enjoy this video. However, Its been two weeks since I uploaded a YouTube video and I notice this video is not doing as well as my previous videos. I need honest feedback on what may have gone wrong in this video or if I shot myself in the foot by not keeping to the schedule. If you have TubBuddy, you can see the keywords I used. I tried my best to use Google Keywords to find the perfect SEO. Appreciate the help.
Channel review or Video review? Video review

Link to Video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6cAuqUD4J8

Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/24939/post-95798
It's nothing wrong in this video. I'm enjoying watch it.

Reactions: TheHappyKidShow

ScenicSitesAndBites

TubeBuddy Pro
scenicsitesandbites.com
Subscriber Goal
I watched your video a couple of times and read your description and looked at your tags. My kids are older now but if they were younger I could see them enjoying some of your content as it is quite entertaining and seems to be well edited. With that said, I looked at your channel and watched a couple of your previous videos and have a couple of comments. First I am fairly new as well having started in December so I hope this is of some use to you. I agree with your self assessment about upload consistency being a factor as I have noticed that as well on my channel. The other thing I noticed that might be a factor is the topic of this particular video compared to your other more successful videos. I think some of your other videos had content that was more interactive, ie showing how to build the birdhouse or flying through space as opposed to just changing the look of the face in the mirror. Don't get me wrong it was cute but in my opinion the topic is just less appealing, if my kids had limited screen time and had to choose which of your videos to watch, I think they would pick some of your others over this one based on their interests. Not every video is going to appeal to everyone.

• Love
OP
OP
TheHappyKidShow

TheHappyKidShow

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
It's nothing wrong in this video. I'm enjoying watch it.
Thank you! That is really supportive and I appreciate the feedback. :)

I watched your video a couple of times and read your description and looked at your tags. My kids are older now but if they were younger I could see them enjoying some of your content as it is quite entertaining and seems to be well edited. With that said, I looked at your channel and watched a couple of your previous videos and have a couple of comments. First I am fairly new as well having started in December so I hope this is of some use to you. I agree with your self assessment about upload consistency being a factor as I have noticed that as well on my channel. The other thing I noticed that might be a factor is the topic of this particular video compared to your other more successful videos. I think some of your other videos had content that was more interactive, ie showing how to build the birdhouse or flying through space as opposed to just changing the look of the face in the mirror. Don't get me wrong it was cute but in my opinion the topic is just less appealing, if my kids had limited screen time and had to choose which of your videos to watch, I think they would pick some of your others over this one based on their interests. Not every video is going to appeal to everyone.
Thank you for this! I appreciate the feedback and I think you are right about the content being different. I'm trying to go for a sketch show vibe for kids on this channel. I'll also need to improve on my consistency. I had some videos in queue and had a weekly schedule, but I got behind in my work and didn't film anymore episodes. Now I find myself doing a week to week thing, which is a position I didn't want to be in. Not sure if I should pause my posting and get about 5 in queue and get back to a regular schedule or just work harder to film and edit as much as I can. BTW: this YouTube channel is a form of therapy for me as I'm in between jobs and for my kids to look and laugh at themselves on YouTube. Just pure entertainment for entertainment's sake as I am isolated at home with the fam.

Reactions: issabelle leo

Maryprecious

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
The video is superb I had to watch it several times. It happens most times that you upload some videos and it goes wow! while others won't. It's not because there's something wrong with the video but probably that's not want your viewers want to see at that particular time.

OP
OP
TheHappyKidShow

TheHappyKidShow

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
The video is superb I had to watch it several times. It happens most times that you upload some videos and it goes wow! while others won't. It's not because there's something wrong with the video but probably that's not want your viewers want to see at that particular time.
Thank you for your insight and the comment! :) I'll just keep plugging away and hopefully it lines up with the right audience. I'm still learning! Thanks again!

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I liked it and can see it appealing to a young audience. The only thing I may have changed is the first sequence goes very, very quickly and you don't get very long to see the face changes properly before it quickly flicks to the next. However, kids do things super fast so this was probably intentional.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I like the look, the colors, and the actor is great! There are some unwritten rules in comedy around pacing that I think might help you with this. The one that comes to mind is around "odd numbers". The most common is 3, 5, 1 in that order. So in your video when the mirror flashes, think face-face-funny face. Face-face-face-face-funny face. Funny face. And linger a bit on the funny.

I also feel like the flashes could have a more consistent theme. All animals. All professions. All make-up, etc. Then you run the pattern as described above.

Last, running your audio through a de-noiser would help. Having a mic closer to the target so you get a cleaner signal don't pick up as much noise would help the audio quality. Not sure if you are using a shotgun mic or not. If not, one would really help your audio.

OP
OP
TheHappyKidShow

TheHappyKidShow

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
I liked it and can see it appealing to a young audience. The only thing I may have changed is the first sequence goes very, very quickly and you don't get very long to see the face changes properly before it quickly flicks to the next. However, kids do things super fast so this was probably intentional.
Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it and yes it was intentional to go fast in the beginning. I thought maybe it would appeal to kids as kid content seems very kinetic. Thanks again for your feedback.

I like the look, the colors, and the actor is great! There are some unwritten rules in comedy around pacing that I think might help you with this. The one that comes to mind is around "odd numbers". The most common is 3, 5, 1 in that order. So in your video when the mirror flashes, think face-face-funny face. Face-face-face-face-funny face. Funny face. And linger a bit on the funny.

I also feel like the flashes could have a more consistent theme. All animals. All professions. All make-up, etc. Then you run the pattern as described above.

Last, running your audio through a de-noiser would help. Having a mic closer to the target so you get a cleaner signal don't pick up as much noise would help the audio quality. Not sure if you are using a shotgun mic or not. If not, one would really help your audio.
You bring up some good point!s Thank you very much for your insight. I'm new to this and don't know much about pacing and just going by what I feel. It would help I guess to have an outside look before I publish. I'll consider using this group before I go live. The unwritten rules of comedy was great to learn about and I appreciate you sharing this. I also like the idea of staying consistent with a theme per segment.

In regards to audio, I don't have a shotgun mic or a closed off room to record in. I don't even have lights. I'm using natural light by my living room and the internal mic on a ten year old camcorder. I'll consider saving up to invest in one. Just would like to know this content is worthwhile to produce.

I honestly enjoyed watching the video.
I started losing interest at 1:22 but amazingly that's where the video started ending. So if this was intentional good job.
effects are great nothing wrong with them.
I think its a matter of time until youtube algorithm picks up the video and you'll get your views
Thank you. I appreciate the honest words. Yes I think keeping these videos under 2 minutes is the best for holding attention. I've done longer ones and I get bored watching it myself. Making quick cuts and keeping the pacing upbeat is probably the way to go. I test these out on my kids, and I've seen them light while watching these. But I can't tell its because of the bias of seeing themselves or if they thoroughly enjoy it. Thanks again.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
You bring up some good point!s Thank you very much for your insight. I'm new to this and don't know much about pacing and just going by what I feel. It would help I guess to have an outside look before I publish. I'll consider using this group before I go live. The unwritten rules of comedy was great to learn about and I appreciate you sharing this. I also like the idea of staying consistent with a theme per segment.

In regards to audio, I don't have a shotgun mic or a closed off room to record in. I don't even have lights. I'm using natural light by my living room and the internal mic on a ten year old camcorder. I'll consider saving up to invest in one. Just would like to know this content is worthwhile to produce.

I like the content quite a bit. On the 3-5-1, its about playing with expectation. I should have actually been more clear that it might look like this: 3 set, 3 set (now the audience expects a 3 set), 5 set. 3 set, 3 set (now the audience expects a 3 set), 1 set.

Light looks fine BTW. If your editing software has an audio function, it may have a de-noise function. That would help a lot as you save for other equipment.

But yes, you should absolutely produce more of this and get it out there!

OP
OP
TheHappyKidShow

TheHappyKidShow

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
I like the content quite a bit. On the 3-5-1, its about playing with expectation. I should have actually been more clear that it might look like this: 3 set, 3 set (now the audience expects a 3 set), 5 set. 3 set, 3 set (now the audience expects a 3 set), 1 set.

Light looks fine BTW. If your editing software has an audio function, it may have a de-noise function. That would help a lot as you save for other equipment.

But yes, you should absolutely produce more of this and get it out there!
Thanks again @SILTHW I applied the denoise filter on my audio and it was a huge difference. Thanks again for your honest feedback and tip.

Reactions: SILTHW

LouisFrost

Aspiring Hero
TubeBuddy User
Im an Adult and I enjoyed it lol. Well edited and nicely done as well. Not sure what else to say. the video is great and entertaining its probably just youtube being weird.