• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Other Is there a good app/software for reducing background noise.

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I am looking for a free app or software that is easy to use and will reduce the background noise in some of my footage. It's far too complicated in my current editing software and I'm thinking there must be an easier way out there. Thanks.

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have not used but I heard ΓÇ£audacityΓÇ¥ is good .
It Is not available for mobile / phone. It is available for PC .

Reactions: Kari B

Dr Pixel Plays

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Removing Background Noise isn't an easy thing to do. Your editing software might have some tools for that, and otherwise, you can use programs like audacity. And even with audio software, it can be a lot of work to remove the background noise completely.

The best thing you can do is to try and reduce the noise during your recording. Maybe some cables aren't great and cause interference. Maybe your mic could use an upgrade. Look up how you can reduce background noise during your recording and try what you can do.

If you happen to have a modern Nvidia graphics card and record on PC, you can use Nvidia RTX voice. I don't think that's helpful for you. But essentially it's an algorithm that filters out various background noises so only your voice is recorded.

When I had background noise problems, I saw that there are programs out there that essentially allow you to remove background noise with one click. I guess they are based on some algorithms as well. But the cheapest program I found costs $40, so you have to consider whether it's worth it.

But to get started I would recommend using audacity or some other free audio software that can reduce background noise. You might not remove it completely, but at least you can reduce it. And maybe over time, you'll get better at removing the noise.

OP
OP
Kari B

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
@Dr Pixel Plays thank you very much. I'm editing some old footage I recorded in the early days before I had a mic and it's outside at a theme park so my camera mic has picked up screaming and such when I'm not talking. The automatic software definitely looks like something useful for the future, but it a little too much at the moment.

OP
OP
Kari B

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
@Beanie Draws thank you. I have my eye on Premier Pro as I don't have a mac, so I'm pleased to hear it's easy. Thank you for the link, I'll check it out, anything that can help me improve my videos is always gratefully appreciated.

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Topic is well covered, but one thing I would add. With Adobe moving to subscription and Blackmagic making huge innovations in color space and RAW video processing, many people (myself included) are moving to Davinci Resolve. The advantage is that the license to upgrade to Davinci Resolve Studio is a one-time fee.

Here is why this is relevant to your question. Studio comes with Davinci Fairlight. Fairlight is one of THE industry standard audio tools. It actually has built-in de-noisers, de-essers, filters, etc. all designed to help with these types of issues.

My one caution is this - consistent noises and tones are very easy to fix in post. Random noises over dialog are a challenge no matter what. But tools like Fairlight allow you to overdub words (ADR) to fix those issues.

One more thing - Davinci Resolve's free tutorial on using Fairlight actually covers these tools and how to fix these issues.

OP
OP
Kari B

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Thank you @SILTHW this was super helpful as I will be looking at new upgraded editing software next year. I know it's one of the next steps to improving my videos, and I have heard Divinci mentioned before in a couple of big YouTuber videos.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
If you will indulge me one more thing.

You can do sound editing in any DAW (digital audio workstation). Audacity comes up a lot. In the Adobe suite there is Audition and on Apple there is Logic. But ones made specifically for video work are optimized for the problems that are unique to video and make things like overdubbing easy because you can watch the video while you overdub.

OP
OP
Kari B

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
@SILTHW thank you I really appreciate your advice, I'm a bit of a technophobe because unless it's simple to use I find it too intimidating and don't use it. I'm hoping that a new mic will make a difference too as I do a lot of external filming.

AussieBangerz

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
There is a function in my editing software..
I use Final Cut Pro X..
It isn't the greatest tho so I am interested in seeing everyone elses thoughts..