• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Facebook Likes, Likes, Likes and no views... ...discuss

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Here's a discussion point

Basically something that I didn't expect

So I post a promotion of a song, ideally to get honest/mean feedback - from a couple of relevant Facebook groups. And these groups are NOT the worst 'promote yourself ones' where noone reads anything and everyone just post links.

I was sure that it was a good fit.

My surprise and wonder is this....

I got likes

and Likes

and more likes

But I am small enough [of a channel - i.e. I have next to no views] that I could see those people have not watched the YouTube video at all

It confuses me

It's not like I know them... so they are liking - as they think it's a nice thing to do [for me, their friend] even though they have no interest or time to actually watch the clip.

I don't know them

So why would they have any urge to like - and not watch?

It seems somewhat 'wrong' - I don't see why they are doing it.

They had nothing to 'like' back, there was no comment, or [to my mind] benefit for them to like my post.

And my post definitely didn't warrant a like... it was just saying watch this... hmm, maybe people just 'like' to be asked to do something they won't do, and were appreciative of me to give them that opportunity

This was just a discussion starter... unless anyone has a reason - which will be better, though a conversation killer

x

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
That's just how it goes sometimes :\ People will just like a post, but not actually watch or even click on the video (though if they did click and didn't watch, that would hurt your video).

I've had a similar issue on Reddit, though it was more they clicked on the video but didn't actually watch it. And that really hurted the video.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make the horse drink.

• Haha
Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
MaJ

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
What does clicked 'and didn't watch the video mean'

Do mean they clicked and only watched a bit before changing their minds

Or literally they clicked and didn't watch the first second even? Maybe you have adverts? I know often times I may change my mind once I hit an advert ... - so maybe you don't get any view time - but you get a bit of ad money?

Also how does it hurt a video... if the algorithm sees people clicking but not watching any of the video - does it think something dodgy is going on and doesn't promote the video as much?

Going back to the adverts... so Youtube channels I watch - seem [in the last few days] to have upped the amount of ads on their videos.. maybe it was one or two... but it seems to be five or six now... I tend to close down videos on the third ad, and maybe am likely to avoid videos from that creator for a while... until I forget about the amount of ads they put me through

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Do mean they clicked and only watched a bit before changing their minds

Or literally they clicked and didn't watch the first second even?
It could be both. Either way, that tells YouTube that the person wasn't interested in your video so they'd be less likely to recommend your video to others.

I have YT Premium so I don't really see the ads :x

OP
OP
MaJ

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
What I mean - about the ads

Is they click on to watch and on hitting an ad, may stop watching before they get to your video

BTW I noticed your byline [manga] I used "The Silent Voice" as the basis for one of my videos

Best of Luck

PierPoint

TubeBuddy User
www.pierpointrodbuilding.co.uk
Subscriber Goal
Here's a discussion point

Basically something that I didn't expect

So I post a promotion of a song, ideally to get honest/mean feedback - from a couple of relevant Facebook groups. And these groups are NOT the worst 'promote yourself ones' where noone reads anything and everyone just post links.

I was sure that it was a good fit.

My surprise and wonder is this....

I got likes

and Likes

and more likes

But I am small enough [of a channel - i.e. I have next to no views] that I could see those people have not watched the YouTube video at all

It confuses me

It's not like I know them... so they are liking - as they think it's a nice thing to do [for me, their friend] even though they have no interest or time to actually watch the clip.

I don't know them

So why would they have any urge to like - and not watch?

It seems somewhat 'wrong' - I don't see why they are doing it.

They had nothing to 'like' back, there was no comment, or [to my mind] benefit for them to like my post.

And my post definitely didn't warrant a like... it was just saying watch this... hmm, maybe people just 'like' to be asked to do something they won't do, and were appreciative of me to give them that opportunity

This was just a discussion starter... unless anyone has a reason - which will be better, though a conversation killer

x
People can be really strange, complex characters. However, you peeve them off and they can swiftly round on you.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
"these groups are NOT the worst 'promote yourself ones' "
Comes with the territory of facebook groups unfortunatly. Simple solution :p don't use facebook (I'm biased with my dislike of facebook hehe)