• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

In Progress Issue with tags - not ranking

Daniele Pastry Chef

Hi, I just started with my youtube channel, and start using TubeBuddy... but I'm feeling confused when using the tags...

When I use the recommended tags from TubeBuddy with some score, but once add them to my tags, the score disappears. After when I check the search ranks, I don't rank for any of them...? In some videos, I don't even rank for my main keyword which was very good on SEO analysis... A keyword that it's on my title and description...

Why am I not ranking for any tags or keywords? What am I doing wrong? Is that because I'm a new channel?

I attach a screenshot of my last video

Thank you

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2020-05-10 a las 13.21.13.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-05-10 a las 13.21.13.png
    105.6 KB · Views: 432
  • Captura de pantalla 2020-05-10 a las 13.24.04.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-05-10 a las 13.24.04.png
    110.9 KB · Views: 442
  • Captura de pantalla 2020-05-10 a las 13.24.34.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-05-10 a las 13.24.34.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 371
  • Captura de pantalla 2020-05-10 a las 13.24.40.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-05-10 a las 13.24.40.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 372
  • Captura de pantalla 2020-05-10 a las 13.24.47.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-05-10 a las 13.24.47.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 359
OP
OP
Daniele Pastry Chef

Daniele Pastry Chef

For example, here I add the suggested tags... but after it tells me that they don't rank anymore? Why...?

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2020-05-10 a las 13.44.36.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-05-10 a las 13.44.36.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 306
OP
OP
Daniele Pastry Chef

Daniele Pastry Chef

And after, the few views I get from youtube search are because of other tags completely different...

Apologies for the long message :D

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2020-05-10 a las 13.48.01.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-05-10 a las 13.48.01.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 269

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi, I just started with my youtube channel, and start using TubeBuddy... but I'm feeling confused when using the tags...

When I use the recommended tags from TubeBuddy with some score, but once add them to my tags, the score disappears. After when I check the search ranks, I don't rank for any of them...? In some videos, I don't even rank for my main keyword which was very good on SEO analysis... A keyword that it's on my title and description...

Why am I not ranking for any tags or keywords? What am I doing wrong? Is that because I'm a new channel?

I attach a screenshot of my last video

Thank you

When doing the keyword research were you doing weighted or unweighted? the Numbe 17 is really low, so and red, so we'd recommend another tag there... I'd need more information, what was the main keyword? Did you use keyword explorer to plan the video first or just used suggested tags?

OP
OP
Daniele Pastry Chef

Daniele Pastry Chef

Thanks for your quick answer.
First I do weighted keyword research, and I found one that it's good for me and has a good score, then I used it on my Title and description, and add it as the first tag on my list.

After, I add the suggested tags, first the ones that have the "green number" and after the ones that have a very good score and chance to score.

But after I save all the changes, the tags with the green numbers lose their numbers, and in the rank positions, I don't appear.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. :oops:

For example, I attached the cap of my sweet pastry video... The weighted score was good... but after doing all the steps still don't rank...
Does the keyword need to be excellent to rank?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2020-05-11 a las 10.41.49.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-05-11 a las 10.41.49.png
    141 KB · Views: 297
  • Captura de pantalla 2020-05-11 a las 10.42.01.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-05-11 a las 10.42.01.png
    91.6 KB · Views: 295
  • Captura de pantalla 2020-05-11 a las 10.42.18.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-05-11 a las 10.42.18.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 276
  • Captura de pantalla 2020-05-11 a las 10.42.28.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-05-11 a las 10.42.28.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 268

Steve the Barman

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
stevethebarman.com
Subscriber Goal
A Chef...and a Barman! This is a match made in heaven!! Good luck with your channel my friend.

as we're both similar niche's, i may be able to offer insight. Our Niches are massively competitive. So its natural that small channels like us are going to struggle to get ranked. I've managed to Rank no1 with about 7-8 of my videos now over the last 3 months. But then other videos, i don't even make the top 50. However, with all my videos, it'll take 4/6/8/12 weeks before i start getting ranked. I'll get maybe 200 views in the first 28-35 days, then all over a sudden i'll get traction and a video will take off. So i never worry about views in the first month. My bigest performing Video on my channel took 9 months of getting 10-15 views a day...now 9 months later its now getting just under 1000 views a day, all from Search and Recommended.

Also...
Andrew has not shared it above, But i'd recommend watching this playlist as it really explains it simply on how to use the keyword tool.
How to use the TubeBuddy Keyword Explorer
I do class myself as a clever person...with bags of common sense. But it was only after revisitng this playlist for the 3rd time a few months ago, where i started to get the Ranking Game. For 2 years, I just thought i was failing miserably and YouTube hated my channel. But now ive started to get traction! Like almost instant results. So deffo watch his playlist.

also, one final point.... just a quick reply to your last post. Sometimes, yuou just need to save the video and refresh the page before the TB Scores on the Tags refresh themselves. I've noticed that a lot. Or even sometimes backing out of the Editor the main Channel Video Page, then going in to edit a Video again. Scores should refresh then. I don't know if thats a TB issue...or a Chrome Issue. Chrome has been playing up now for me for a week, so i've migrated to Frefox, until Chrome stops having a hissy fit. I don't get those issues on Firefox now. but I can't say on firefox. I miss chrome! So it could just be that.

OP
OP
Daniele Pastry Chef

Daniele Pastry Chef

Thanks Steve, really appreciate it... feels a bit scary at the beginning... and sometimes I'm not sure if the things I'm doing are right... :)

I'm still a very small channel and I understand that it would be hard to start getting views from search... but for example, some of my videos are ranking, at least, for the main keyword while others don't... and some of my videos get find because of completely different tags... and here is where I would like to understand what am I doing wrong?

For example, I have a video for how to make a crostata (jam pie) and people that come from Youtube search found me searching homemade bread or cookies... that don't form part of my tags or description...
But after for my video of the cheesecake, I do rank with my keyword and people from search find me with that keyword... even though the cheesecake had a lower score overall, as it has more competition...

About the suggested tags with the green numbers (not sure they have a name), yes, I do update my browser... but still... when they are on the list of suggested they have the green number, as soon as I add them to my list, the green number disappears... and that makes me feel confused if I actually need to use them or not...?

Btw, nice cocktails on your channel, I will try some daiquiris :)

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Thanks Steve, really appreciate it... feels a bit scary at the beginning... and sometimes I'm not sure if the things I'm doing are right... :)

I'm still a very small channel and I understand that it would be hard to start getting views from search... but for example, some of my videos are ranking, at least, for the main keyword while others don't... and some of my videos get find because of completely different tags... and here is where I would like to understand what am I doing wrong?

For example, I have a video for how to make a crostata (jam pie) and people that come from Youtube search found me searching homemade bread or cookies... that don't form part of my tags or description...
But after for my video of the cheesecake, I do rank with my keyword and people from search find me with that keyword... even though the cheesecake had a lower score overall, as it has more competition...

About the suggested tags with the green numbers (not sure they have a name), yes, I do update my browser... but still... when they are on the list of suggested they have the green number, as soon as I add them to my list, the green number disappears... and that makes me feel confused if I actually need to use them or not...?

Btw, nice cocktails on your channel, I will try some daiquiris :)

Are you using incognito mode results?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDrgXf1qvF8

Reactions: Daniele Pastry Chef
OP
OP
Daniele Pastry Chef

Daniele Pastry Chef

Yep, I did it in incognito, but still, half of my videos don't rank for any keyword or tag... do I need to have more views or higher score keyword... or maybe I'm using them in the wrong way...? :pensive:
thanks

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
For example, here I add the suggested tags... but after it tells me that they don't rank anymore? Why...?

You only add suggested tags if relevant, I'd say those aren't relevant.
Thanks for your quick answer.
First I do weighted keyword research, and I found one that it's good for me and has a good score, then I used it on my Title and description, and add it as the first tag on my list.

After, I add the suggested tags, first the ones that have the "green number" and after the ones that have a very good score and chance to score.

But after I save all the changes, the tags with the green numbers lose their numbers, and in the rank positions, I don't appear.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. :oops:

For example, I attached the cap of my sweet pastry video... The weighted score was good... but after doing all the steps still don't rank...
Does the keyword need to be excellent to rank?

Thank you!

Looking at your title and thumbnail I'd say you focus too much on YOU the creator instead of the recipe you're making, you include yourself large in the thumbnail, as well as in the title (Your name) remember if I need a recipe I am more looking for the final result then who made it. It might help later, when you're more established, but I'd perhaps re- think the title.

OP
OP
Daniele Pastry Chef

Daniele Pastry Chef

Talking about crostata the synonym it's jam tart, and it was on the suggested tags, that's why I believe it's relevant... but maybe I need to search better.

About the thumbnail, I saw lots of videos and advice that they say that a thumbnail with a face drives more clicks... that's why I did mines like that :D But maybe for the food recipe, it's better if the food it's bigger than my face... :grinning:

I will try to apply those changes, thanks, Andrew!

Steve the Barman

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
stevethebarman.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm gonna be controversial here. I actually LOVE your Thumbnails @Daniele Pastry Chef They would make me click... IF... You came up on the top 5-10 of Search. But i do completely get what @Andrew is saying though. It's a toughie, I did see so many experts say "Put yourself in the Thumbnail". But in all honestly, since i've redone my Thumbnails without me in mine, my CTR has gone waaaaaay up.

HOWEVER... Just diving very quickly into one of your Videos. Using Tubebuddy. I can see why you're not Ranking for the biggie Search Term...

Using your "Crostata Jam Tart" Video. I reckon a few tweaks and you'd smash Top 5 Ranking with that Video in a few weeks.
Although as the Search Volume is not High for "Crostata Jam Tart"... the Search Volume for Jam Tart Recipe IS High. However, your tags are not that relevant to that Search Term. You need to delete half (most :innocent:) of the Tags and focus on Search Phrases that contain "Jam Tart Recipe". You've only got 2 Tags really that use that search phrase. So build out the Tags more with that search phrase. (Easy Jam Tart Recipe, Best Jam Tart Recipe, How to make Jam Tart recipe, strawberry Jam tart Recipe, etc etc). But then don't forget your Description also needs to contain a few of those Search phrases too. You description only contains it once.

So build all that out, and i'm sure you'l start to rank with it soon...fingers crossed as a Gateway Video!!!
(the current gateway video is by Miss Elz. Shes only got less than 400 Subs and 3600 views on that Video... but she's ranking 3rd against Videos with 20,000, 30,000 and 147,000 views!!!)

Hope that helps (got bored and have finished for the evening!! :joy: :joy: )

• Love
OP
OP
Daniele Pastry Chef

Daniele Pastry Chef

Thank you so much @Steve the Barman !!! :heart_eyes:

Really helpful info, and well explained. Looks like something easy but until you don't get the point you are lost :D
I will apply all of that changes ASAP and let's see...

My CTR varies a lot... some days it's around 2% per video others goes up to 15% per video... So my average of the channel it's around 5%... not sure if that's good or bad... But I'll try changing some thumbnails and track the difference.

Cheers :)

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
It's a toughie, I did see so many experts say "Put yourself in the Thumbnail". But in all honestly, since i've redone my Thumbnails without me in mine, my CTR has gone waaaaaay up.

Here's the thing, when you're more established it can really help get you more views out the gate, and people tend to trust seeing people in thumbnails ON average, but again every channel is different. What I like, and what you like might differ, but what matters is what the audience likes :)

Using your "Crostata Jam Tart" Video. I reckon a few tweaks and you'd smash Top 5 Ranking with that Video in a few weeks.
Although as the Search Volume is not High for "Crostata Jam Tart"... the Search Volume for Jam Tart Recipe IS High. However, your tags are not that relevant to that Search Term. You need to delete half (most :innocent:) of the Tags and focus on Search Phrases that contain "Jam Tart Recipe". You've only got 2 Tags really that use that search phrase. So build out the Tags more with that search phrase. (Easy Jam Tart Recipe, Best Jam Tart Recipe, How to make Jam Tart recipe, strawberry Jam tart Recipe, etc etc). But then don't forget your Description also needs to contain a few of those Search phrases too. You description only contains it once.

So build all that out, and i'm sure you'l start to rank with it soon...fingers crossed as a Gateway Video!!!
(the current gateway video is by Miss Elz. Shes only got less than 400 Subs and 3600 views on that Video... but she's ranking 3rd against Videos with 20,000, 30,000 and 147,000 views!!!)

Hope that helps (got bored and have finished for the evening!! :joy: :joy: )

This is solid advice, and the most important thing to remember is that this takes time, and TRUST ME I don't like that either, but I understand it :)

• Love

LeonardoGinting

Hi everyone, i just started my own channel, and just took pro as my next level hoping this will also help me to get more views. But i got the same problem as @Daniele Pastry Chef, i have tried to to use keywords from weighted tabs and adding all tags related to my keywords. But the issue is when i tried to search rank it shown exactly as the first few screenshots above. Is this will impact my search ranking and view in the youtube?

The keyword i'm using is Motivasi Hidup Sukses. Also i have checked in the SEO studio i got 90% plus on SEO. but still i didn't see the ranking is shown.

Need your advice!

Thank you.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Hi everyone, i just started my own channel, and just took pro as my next level hoping this will also help me to get more views. But i got the same problem as @Daniele Pastry Chef, i have tried to to use keywords from weighted tabs and adding all tags related to my keywords. But the issue is when i tried to search rank it shown exactly as the first few screenshots above. Is this will impact my search ranking and view in the youtube?

The keyword i'm using is Motivasi Hidup Sukses. Also i have checked in the SEO studio i got 90% plus on SEO. but still i didn't see the ranking is shown.

Need your advice!

Thank you.
This is not going to impact your search ranking in YouTube. Tags show you how well you rank for the keywords you have chosen and optimized for... but YouTube is going above and beyond that to find the appropriate audience for your videos. They are looking at the color grading of your thumbnail and video, the video length, the things that you say in the video... you will notice that from time to time the most searched topics that led viewers to your video are not ones that you even put into your tags. An example from my channel:

1629125435098.png

I do fishing content, and in this particular video the topic is beach fishing for sharks with my wife. In English. I did not use any of these words in any part of my video, and yet these viewers found me in Search using these terms. That means that YouTube is sharing my video out to audiences beyond the metadata that I have provided for them.

It is important to maximize your opportunities for Search Engine Optimization. This gives YouTube a clear, basic idea of what you video is about. But when it comes to putting your video in front of viewers who are looking for your type of content they are looking at far more than just a few tags.