• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Mixed Content Channel or Must Separate?

blackbeltsecrets

BlackBeltBarrister
www.blackbeltbarrister.com
Subscriber Goal
Hey Guys!

Firstly I'm really grateful to be here and post my first discussion.

I started my channel years ago in the sports/training/martial arts space and lots of videos did well.

However! I really want to vary my content a little because I feel I have so much to contribute and share - but many people say this approach is now dead and that a channel must niche down otherwise it won't succeed.

I've tried a few variety videos and they just didn't seem to work so far (200 views vs 200k ΓÇö 4m views on some other videos)

Is there something I'm doing wrong or does variety simply now work? I have 41.5k subscribers which I'm truly grateful for but I just don't know why they don't engage with other videos.

I would love to really thrash it out on here and hear all of your views.

Best,
Daniel

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hey Guys!

Firstly I'm really grateful to be here and post my first discussion.

I started my channel years ago in the sports/training/martial arts space and lots of videos did well.

However! I really want to vary my content a little because I feel I have so much to contribute and share - but many people say this approach is now dead and that a channel must niche down otherwise it won't succeed.

I've tried a few variety videos and they just didn't seem to work so far (200 views vs 200k ΓÇö 4m views on some other videos)

Is there something I'm doing wrong or does variety simply now work? I have 41.5k subscribers which I'm truly grateful for but I just don't know why they don't engage with other videos.

I would love to really thrash it out on here and hear all of your views.

Best,
Daniel

IT sadly doesn't work, since if the audience came for Sports/ training/ martial arts, then that's what they expect. How would you feel if in the middle of training someone they said. Alright thanks, but let's cook now. It's not what you expected/ promised, so you're either not happy or not interested, and that's what generally happens. I'd recommend a second channel for more variety, but clear focus on the main one :)

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
blackbeltsecrets

blackbeltsecrets

BlackBeltBarrister
Subscriber Goal
Sorry, I replied to your other post first! Regrettably, I agree with you - it's been quite a dilemma for quite a while but I think you're right and I just have to focus... Do you think the channel will recover after having a bit of a drop from changing content? I hope so ...

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Sorry, I replied to your other post first! Regrettably, I agree with you - it's been quite a dilemma for quite a while but I think you're right and I just have to focus... Do you think the channel will recover after having a bit of a drop from changing content? I hope so ...

Of course you can recover! Just like in fighting, go back to the fundamentals that built you, and in YT Terms, look at what was popular for you historically and find a new way to create content similar to that :D

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
That makes total sense and IΓÇÖm really grateful for your thoughts. When I look back, the videos were way more successful than I ever realised! Right - time to get back to those haha! Do you have any requests for the big comeback? Haha

As good as my opinion might be, it's important to know when you met your match. Your audience will know what they want more then I will :) Look at your analytics :D

OP
OP
blackbeltsecrets

blackbeltsecrets

BlackBeltBarrister
Subscriber Goal
As good as my opinion might be, it's important to know when you met your match. Your audience will know what they want more then I will :) Look at your analytics :D
Just a follow up to this ΓÇö do you think the same is true for adding a VLOG to the channel if I keep some of the same thems running? I've seen lots of other channels do that at around 50-100k subs!

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Just a follow up to this ΓÇö do you think the same is true for adding a VLOG to the channel if I keep some of the same thems running? I've seen lots of other channels do that at around 50-100k subs!
I think that doing a Vlog or talking about something that matters to you or something that personalizes your channel more suits well. I think it builds more relationship with your audience as long as like what @Andrew said you're not going from martial arts to cooking to race cars. ;). Just my two cents not from a creator's experience (since I'm quite small) but from a viewer's experience.
Your channel is doing really well though!

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal

That's really dependent on the audience you have and if they watch.

I think that doing a Vlog or talking about something that matters to you or something that personalizes your channel more suits well. I think it builds more relationship with your audience as long as like what @Andrew said you're not going from martial arts to cooking to race cars. ;). Just my two cents not from a creator's experience (since I'm quite small) but from a viewer's experience.

This is fair advice too!

Keep doing what works. Anything else needs to be on another channel. Let your data tell you what to do. Always data. Always analytics.

Couldn't agree more :)

Reactions: Damon and Mario So
OP
OP
blackbeltsecrets

blackbeltsecrets

BlackBeltBarrister
Subscriber Goal
Thanks, it's always good to get different perspectives and more to the point that's exactly what I'm aiming to do (build a relationship with the audience!)

Reactions: Mario So
OP
OP
blackbeltsecrets

blackbeltsecrets

BlackBeltBarrister
Subscriber Goal
That's really dependent on the audience you have and if they watch.

This is fair advice too!

Couldn't agree more :)
Thanks again! It's really tough because a little while ago I did actually do a couple of cooking videos to test the diversification and one of them got 7-8k views in a week or two, but then I was worried about being too mixed up, so removed them!

My primary objective is to build a relationship with the audience - but raw data only tells me what they watch / have watched and not whether they will like the new videos.

I'm happy to experiment but worried that one or two terrible videos will kill the channel... any data on this that you know of?