• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Thumbnail Feedback Do shocked faces really gain more views?

Retro Reels

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
I am seeing more and more videos with people pulling silly "shocked" faces on their thumbnails - does this really improve ctr?

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I am seeing more and more videos with people pulling silly "shocked" faces on their thumbnails - does this really improve ctr?

Depends the audience! I know for us here at TB I usually am smiling in my thumbnails, so when I have a shocked face our audience clicks on it more. You may think it's "Silly" However, I can say from experience they can be REALLY effective. Since we're talking about them now I'd say they did their job. The best way for YOU to know is try it and see how YOUR audience reacts. Every audience is different :)

Here's the example I was mentioning:

Coppa News.jpeg

OP
OP
Retro Reels

Retro Reels

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Depends the audience! I know for us here at TB I usually am smiling in my thumbnails, so when I have a shocked face our audience clicks on it more. You may think it's "Silly" However, I can say from experience they can be REALLY effective. Since we're talking about them now I'd say they did their job. The best way for YOU to know is try it and see how YOUR audience reacts. Every audience is different :)

Here's the example I was mentioning:

View attachment 3776
I can see how it would be effective if different from regular thumbs, your example above is a good one, as you are using it to emphasise the urgency of your video, and its a noticable change from just the smile, however I see alot of people just doing it on every video and its getting a little silly, it cant just be me that its having the reverse effect than intended.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I can see how it would be effective if different from regular thumbs, your example above is a good one, as you are using it to emphasise the urgency of your video, and its a noticable change from just the smile, however I see alot of people just doing it on every video and its getting a little silly, it cant just be me that its having the reverse effect than intended.

You might also just be feeling that as a creator. I know in general only about 10% of viewers are a YTers subscribers, so new users might be wondering. "Why are they shocked?" Again winning the click. It may have the reverse effect for subscribers, but YT admits about 10% of subs watch content. So I'd say it's just a focus on the bigger audience. However, if you don't like it. I would say maybe ask the users you see abusing it their logic :)

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I've always found shock face cringy, but if done right, I guess they can express excitement. I think you just want to show an enticing expressive excited face, but don't go over the top or it'll just look foolish and might deter people from thinking the video is going to be serious or take it seriously.

The way Andrew showed it and used it is perfect for the context of the video, it's a surprising "shocking" topic. I'd use the :eek: sparingly, or you risk falling into Ali A territory and becoming a meme.

Reactions: Retro Reels

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
It's somewhat similar to people putting red circles and arrows at absolutely nothing in their thumbnail. It makes people curious and wants to click on it in order to see what it's all about.

Reactions: Retro Reels