• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Review Trying to find ways to improve. Feedback would be greatly appreciated! Content Warning: Practically Everything

PretentiousHipster

User name: PretentiousHipster
Title of thread: Trying to find ways to improve. Feed would be greatly appreciated! Content Warning: Practically Everything
Self review: I do think I hit my stride in terms of editing, pacing, and in-depth analysis. Only thing I could think is that I am a very shy and anxious person, and am only giving a professional tone instead of showing off my personality. Maybe doing that will be an improvement.
Channel review or Video review? Video review

Link to Video:
View: https://youtu.be/hqgb7XWMnF4

Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/23726/

Barryb64

The only thing I can contribute is the briefness of that warning sticker. It went a little too fast for me. I think a 4 second delay would do. If I was into this type of game then I'd definitely would like the music. I, also did hear you clearly. For me, that's a plus.

U

User1111

For starters, I would recommend you enable age restriction. Now I am aware that does make it impossible to monetize it later but that shouldn't be the concern right now anyway. You need to enable that though because of the content of the game review, based on the warning at the beginning. I would cut the amount of game footage you used in the beginning down by a few seconds and begin your review sooner as to not lose any viewers' attention. I would put the video intro animation after the first segment, directly after "stay tuned to find out." It seems to fit well there. Again shorten up the time in which you show the sequences from the game. A game review should have a focus on more of the review of the game rather than the game's footage itself unless your aim is to point out something in a particular scene from the game being reviewed. Keep working on these review videos, I used to have the same issue as you. It will take time and practice but getting over your anxiety and shyness is doable. I do agree you need to work on that and let your personality shine more. Don't worry if you mess up, everyone does at first. At 3:57 it was great you found video other sources to use in your review (the brief back and forth interview segment which looked like it came from a documentary, however, did you get permission to use that in your video? Unless you had, it's not considered protected under fair use. It also seems like you are wrapping up the video at 7:45 when the video is 16:36 long this could cause your viewers to click away too soon. In my opinion, you should save your overall impression score of the game for the end of the video for both games. I hope my view helps!

OP
OP
PretentiousHipster

PretentiousHipster

Thank you so much for the feedback. I would like to address a few points.

For starters, I would recommend you enable age restriction. Now I am aware that does make it impossible to monetize it later but that shouldn't be the concern right now anyway. You need to enable that though because of the content of the game review, based on the warning at the beginning.

You do have a point here. However, I am not the only person to review this game. I noticed two more reviews. They both show the gore. One shows a sex scene, and the other one shows a rape scene as well. Neither of the videos have an age restriction.

I would cut the amount of game footage you used in the beginning down by a few seconds and begin your review sooner as to not lose any viewers' attention. I would put the video intro animation after the first segment, directly after "stay tuned to find out." It seems to fit well there. Again shorten up the time in which you show the sequences from the game. A game review should have a focus on more of the review of the game rather than the game's footage itself unless your aim is to point out something in a particular scene from the game being reviewed.

Sounds good. I will skip the 10 second or so intro and just go straight to my review. Putting my usual intro a bit afterwards sounds like a good idea too. My usual format has this: my usual intro, short game montage, opening paragraph, cutscene from the game, review, concluding paragraph, cutscene from the game. Should I maybe remove the cutscene from the game after the opening paragraph as well?

At 3:57 it was great you found video other sources to use in your review (the brief back and forth interview segment which looked like it came from a documentary, however, did you get permission to use that in your video? Unless you had, it's not considered protected under fair use.

I did not get permission. However, how would one be able to get one for a tv show segment that was made in the mid 90s? I do have a comparison to make about this like in my first point. There are many users reacting to stuff like movie trailers, music, and even making fun of random users videos. If it's not protected under fair use, well they were still able to monetize it. I do believe I am less at risk with this too considering that this tv show was probably abandoned long ago.

This leads me to one more question I have. For all of my reviews so far, the background music is music from the game. Is this allowed? I am showing footage of the game, so music from the game makes sense. I didn't have any copyright claims or strikes on them as well, except I did get a copyright claim for 2 reviews of the lord of the rings games as they use music straight from the films.

If I understand correctly, here are the following changes I will do from these 2 posts:

- Increase the content warning by a few seconds
- Move my intro to after my intro paragraph
- Start the review right at the beginning
- Potentially skip the cutscene after the introductory paragraph.

Again, thank you so much for taking out some of your time to do this!

• Love
Reactions: User1111
U

User1111

Just because two others did not have to enable that does not mean you shouldn't, however, I didn't notice any actual gore or sex-related content. You mentioning rape doesn't mean it's age-restricted and the gore scenes that were shown were not on the level of what's in theaters at present. I just didn't want you getting in trouble but after watching the whole video I didn't see any harm, though it is a great idea to keep the content warning up a bit to make sure everyone is able to read it.

Reactions: PretentiousHipster