• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Bought my first "editing" computer, my wife is gonna kill me

Uncle Dan

TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
So I've been wanting to get into computer editing (I've done my entire channel on mobile, top to bottom). I found out that because my wife is a teacher, I get Adobe CC for $19 a month....way better than $60 lol. Looking at the requirements, there was no way my current laptop was going to cut it. I did some research and found that a few "gaming" computers kept getting recommend, so I decided to take the plunge and buy a $1,300 laptop (and told my wife $600 because I'm a terrible person who does things like that) I picked up an HP OMEN 17. This thing is a monster, it's heavy. Intel Core i7-8750H, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, 1TB HDD + 128GB SSD, 12GB RAM and it looks mean. I'm going to start this next phase in my evolution, wish me luck lol

Reactions: kunicross

Greneey

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Oh yeh!
I can remember the good old days when I was eligible for the EDU version! Back then in the CS4 days :D
Oh wow. Tell me how that laptop goes because I've been looking for an editing laptop myself :D
Apple MacBook Pro - Yes it is expensive but I never had a better mobile editing experience. (Yes I do work off of an external SSD using proxies). I had many Windows Laptops even expensive ones but I never had such a stable operating System AND Adobe Products as on the MacBook Pros. Also, the Device looks pretty fancy!

ΓÖ¬ΓÖ½ΓÖ¼ didn't want to start the flame ware ΓÖ¬ΓÖ½ΓÖ¼

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I've had a gaming laptop for a few months now with similar hardware to yours. Its a hell of a jump from my desktop though that PC can still hold its own. I bought it mostly for gaming since there are 3 of us who game on PC but also for video editing. It's definitely a beast on both except I don't have a proper setup to play games. Need a decent desk and a mouse better suited for gaming. Sadly I had to put being a Youtuber on the backburner for now. Things are just not where I wish they could be in order to work on making quality videos for my channel. It saddens me as I was excited to start the new year making cool new videos and show off all my new artwork and intros and stuff I made plus use all the great stuff I learned from places like Tubebuddy and other YT channels that teach you how to grow your channel. But for now, I'll just have to keep watching and learning more about how YT works and then once I get my chance I'll start my channel up again.

However, if you should need some help with editing I will gladly provide my novice skills to you or anyone else.

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
Didn't know that.... yay!

Yup "introductory education pricing" they told me.... Goes up after your first year and I complained about it because that small detail is very fine print.. They pretty much told me if I don't like it stop using it which is sad to see a company say.

Reactions: Damon

Greneey

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Well it's not like I would recommend this. But what a friend of mine did a few years ago, when he still went to school, he cancelled the subscription and created a brand new one.
I don't know if this is still possible but back in the days, it was.

OP
OP
Uncle Dan

Uncle Dan

TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
I've had a gaming laptop for a few months now with similar hardware to yours. Its a hell of a jump from my desktop though that PC can still hold its own. I bought it mostly for gaming since there are 3 of us who game on PC but also for video editing. It's definitely a beast on both except I don't have a proper setup to play games. Need a decent desk and a mouse better suited for gaming. Sadly I had to put being a Youtuber on the backburner for now. Things are just not where I wish they could be in order to work on making quality videos for my channel. It saddens me as I was excited to start the new year making cool new videos and show off all my new artwork and intros and stuff I made plus use all the great stuff I learned from places like Tubebuddy and other YT channels that teach you how to grow your channel. But for now, I'll just have to keep watching and learning more about how YT works and then once I get my chance I'll start my channel up again.

However, if you should need some help with editing I will gladly provide my novice skills to you or anyone else.
That sucks, but you gotta take care of **** in order of importance. Hope to see ya back in the tubes eventually

Reactions: BraveStar

kunicross

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
So I've been wanting to get into computer editing (I've done my entire channel on mobile, top to bottom). I found out that because my wife is a teacher, I get Adobe CC for $19 a month....way better than $60 lol. Looking at the requirements, there was no way my current laptop was going to cut it. I did some research and found that a few "gaming" computers kept getting recommend, so I decided to take the plunge and buy a $1,300 laptop (and told my wife $600 because I'm a terrible person who does things like that) I picked up an HP OMEN 17. This thing is a monster, it's heavy. Intel Core i7-8750H, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, 1TB HDD + 128GB SSD, 12GB RAM and it looks mean. I'm going to start this next phase in my evolution, wish me luck lol
Maybe you can get some tax benefit for your wife from it - could be a way to survive the whole thing.

But in the end telling the wrong price is what's going to get you killed in the end, never a good idea to outright lie to a spouse.

OP
OP
Uncle Dan

Uncle Dan

TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Maybe you can get some tax benefit for your wife from it - could be a way to survive the whole thing.

But in the end telling the wrong price is what's going to get you killed in the end, never a good idea to outright lie to a spouse.
Your right, and that's why I added the qualifier that Im a terrible person, but Id rather be terrible and living...LOL

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
Well it's not like I would recommend this. But what a friend of mine did a few years ago, when he still went to school, he cancelled the subscription and created a brand new one.
I don't know if this is still possible but back in the days, it was.

Can confirm that does not work. Second thought normally would be to buy one of those pre-paid education pricing 1 year subscription cards... GG because Adobe will cancel it and good luck returning it and saying "Adobe won't let me use it" so don't even try that... Let me be a living example that in no way will either work so don't try them and waste your time/money. It is still a better deal than normal but its really angering that Adobe does this stuff.

BraveStar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Yup "introductory education pricing" they told me.... Goes up after your first year and I complained about it because that small detail is very fine print.. They pretty much told me if I don't like it stop using it which is sad to see a company say.

I can see how they don't care. They do charge $50 a month after all for software that is far too expensive for my taste yet promoted by nearly everyone as must-have software as if alternatives are not worth it. I mean, I rarely hear anyone suggest using Vegas Pro as an alternative to Premier and I didn't even know Paintshop Pro still existed till recently as no one ever suggests that as an alternative to Photoshop. In essence Adobe only cares about those who can play full price and only entice the students to look like they care.

kunicross

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
That all is part of the big gap between "professional" and "normal user" software.

If you are a business / big youtube channel / advertisement agency / full time professional editor the costs for a professional software are just part of normal business expenses and no big deal.
I work a lot with high end CAD software - you don't want to look into the prices for such licenses but it's the same here for any big company it's just a minor thing. (some small businesses do have a real probleme here)

In a way that's the same with the tubebuddy license, a editing computer and everything else - like owning a whole set of high end professional tools just to fix your one car is a whole other thing compared to a professional workshop owning the same tools to fix a couple of cars every day.

BraveStar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I'm curious. Is there an alternative program to Adobe After Effects? I know Photshop has Paintshop and Premier has Vegas Pro and even Reader has multiple alternatives such as FoxPDF, but I've never heard of an After Effects alternative. To be honest I am not 100% sure how After Effects works. Never used it but from the how-to videos I've seen it seems to be very specific as to what it can do and I don't know of another program that does the same.

kunicross

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I'm curious. Is there an alternative program to Adobe After Effects? I know Photshop has Paintshop and Premier has Vegas Pro and even Reader has multiple alternatives such as FoxPDF, but I've never heard of an After Effects alternative. To be honest I am not 100% sure how After Effects works. Never used it but from the how-to videos I've seen it seems to be very specific as to what it can do and I don't know of another program that does the same.
Blender, hit Film pro l, wax 2.0

At least that is what a short Google search spit out for Adobe after effects alternatives

I had downloaded blender once for intro experimentation but never got really into it - maybe someone here can point out how many times better after effects is or what are the main differences.

But actually we where talking about the Adobe Creative Cloud which sounds more like a all in one solution for video and picture editing / creatives so if all you need is after effects that might not be the best / cheapest solution. (anybody know anything comparable on the market?)

I think the "all in one" is quite a completing thing but I'm German and our national animal is still the eierlegende Wollmilchsau!

BraveStar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Blender, hit Film pro l, wax 2.0

At least that is what a short Google search spit out for Adobe after effects alternatives

I had downloaded blender once for intro experimentation but never got really into it - maybe someone here can point out how many times better after effects is or what are the main differences.

But actually we where talking about the Adobe Creative Cloud which sounds more like a all in one solution for video and picture editing / creatives so if all you need is after effects that might not be the best / cheapest solution. (anybody know anything comparable on the market?)

I think the "all in one" is quite a completing thing but I'm German and our national animal is still the eierlegende Wollmilchsau!

Will check those out. I was curious because I always hear the cool effects you see in videos are often made in after effects then used in Premier.

kunicross

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Will check those out. I was curious because I always hear the cool effects you see in videos are often made in after effects then used in Premier.
Blender is used quite a lot too as far as I know but it might be due to it being free software.
The Adobe After effects + Adobe premier combo is often mentioned by top tier youtubers recently but I don't know if it's really the best for us low tiers to want to have.

For example Linus tech tips does way overkill with all the Red cameras and stuff - but it's probably about 45% "because we can" 45% "mine is the biggest" and 10% real quality improvement.

Reactions: BraveStar

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Oh yeh!
I can remember the good old days when I was eligible for the EDU version! Back then in the CS4 days :D

Apple MacBook Pro - Yes it is expensive but I never had a better mobile editing experience. (Yes I do work off of an external SSD using proxies). I had many Windows Laptops even expensive ones but I never had such a stable operating System AND Adobe Products as on the MacBook Pros. Also, the Device looks pretty fancy!

ΓÖ¬ΓÖ½ΓÖ¼ didn't want to start the flame ware ΓÖ¬ΓÖ½ΓÖ¼
Hm... :thinking: I was never fond of MacBooks. I've had one before, but that's just me being, "I don't like the outline of this. Hurr durr. I use Windows."
I know they're good for editing and quite expensive, but I'm still leaning towards windows laptops xP

kunicross

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Hm... :thinking: I was never fond of MacBooks. I've had one before, but that's just me being, "I don't like the outline of this. Hurr durr. I use Windows."
I know they're good for editing and quite expensive, but I'm still leaning towards windows laptops xP
I had to make a old MacBook usable again for the daughter of a colleague a couple of years ago and it was a cringworthy experience. (of course that has partial to do with me not being very familiar with mac os)

Apple products sometimes have really strange and stupid limitations I really wouldn't want to deal with - in the end whatever works for you is the best thing for you no matter what other people say. (the whole Mac vs PC vs Linux discussion tends to be quite pointless from the get go.)