• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Opinion I've decided! Blackmagic Video Assist FTW

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been going back and forth on getting an external recorder for my GH4 vs buying a new camera. Wisdom says get rent a few cameras or recorders and decide that way. For me and the way I work, I'd rather buy an external recorder because I hate the process of buying a camera. I'd rather rig what I have to the fullest. Blackmagic's 5 inch Video Assist seems to fit the bill for me nicely. I can capture in 4k and downsample to 1080p during production, plus 10 bit 4:2:2 ProRes is where I want to go.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been going back and forth on getting an external recorder for my GH4 vs buying a new camera. Wisdom says get rent a few cameras or recorders and decide that way. For me and the way I work, I'd rather buy an external recorder because I hate the process of buying a camera. I'd rather rig what I have to the fullest. Blackmagic's 5 inch Video Assist seems to fit the bill for me nicely. I can capture in 4k and downsample to 1080p during production, plus 10 bit 4:2:2 ProRes is where I want to go.

Do you have any videos up with these results? Would love to see it! :D

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Okay, Andrew, you wanted an update. I found a great deal on a used AtomOS Ninja 2 recorder for $175 on Ebay, totally unused. Should be in next week this time. This will give me 10-bit, 4:2:2 colors depth and space. Also the recorder captures sound in 16-bit, 48Khz. Better than CD quality sound, so that makes me happy. Hopefully I can eliminate the preamp on my set up and record audio straight to the Ninja recorder. The DXA Micro Pro is a battery hog.

I also bought two new lenses. Well, you know I love vintage lenses, so they aren't new. I bought a Canon FD 50mm macro lens which is perfect for my flies and fishing tackle making videos. Then I bought a 135mm FD for telephoto shots. So far I have:

24mm Canon FD wide
50mm Canon FD normal
50mm Canon FD Macro
135mm Canon FD Telephoto

From here the mission would be to extend my focal ranged further, maybe a 17mm or 7.5mm fisheye and a 300mm telephoto, but for now the for lenses above will handle 90% of what I want. The added color depth and space on the Ninja 2 will give me for data to push in post-production. I really want to use color to help me tell the stories I want to tell. 8-bit, 4:2:0 ain't enough anymore, at least for me.

Also the ninja 2 only records in 1080p, but I plan to capture in 4k, then downsample to 1080p. That's the best way for me to use 4k at the moment. My computer simply can't handle 4k. Even if I build a future computer capable of handling 4k footage, I want ProRes as that is a post production friendly codec.

Reactions: TubeBuddy

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
Okay, Andrew, you wanted an update. I found a great deal on a used AtomOS Ninja 2 recorder for $175 on Ebay, totally unused. Should be in next week this time. This will give me 10-bit, 4:2:2 colors depth and space. Also the recorder captures sound in 16-bit, 48Khz. Better than CD quality sound, so that makes me happy. Hopefully I can eliminate the preamp on my set up and record audio straight to the Ninja recorder. The DXA Micro Pro is a battery hog.

I also bought two new lenses. Well, you know I love vintage lenses, so they aren't new. I bought a Canon FD 50mm macro lens which is perfect for my flies and fishing tackle making videos. Then I bought a 135mm FD for telephoto shots. So far I have:

24mm Canon FD wide
50mm Canon FD normal
50mm Canon FD Macro
135mm Canon FD Telephoto

From here the mission would be to extend my focal ranged further, maybe a 17mm or 7.5mm fisheye and a 300mm telephoto, but for now the for lenses above will handle 90% of what I want. The added color depth and space on the Ninja 2 will give me for data to push in post-production. I really want to use color to help me tell the stories I want to tell. 8-bit, 4:2:0 ain't enough anymore, at least for me.

Also the ninja 2 only records in 1080p, but I plan to capture in 4k, then downsample to 1080p. That's the best way for me to use 4k at the moment. My computer simply can't handle 4k. Even if I build a future computer capable of handling 4k footage, I want ProRes as that is a post production friendly codec.

You have me literally drooling over that gear update :D!

Reactions: TubeBuddy and Damon
OP
OP
Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Got a video out on the Ninja 2 today. The link is in the promotion page

Attachments

• NinjaTwoTestFishingFilmmaking.mp4.png
    NinjaTwoTestFishingFilmmaking.mp4.png
    858 KB · Views: 262
Reactions: Ikerot

Bitbat

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Got it:)