Seeking Advice What's Your Strategy For Finding Green Tags?

Discussion in 'Content Strategies' started by Scott Fichter, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Scott Fichter

Scott Fichter Member Member of the Month

There are many tutorials on how TubeBuddy's tag explorer works, and that's fine for finding tags, but in my opinion, if your tags are not green, they are close to worthless. In other words, if the tags you use don't come up with a rank of one to twenty nobody will find your videos.

Can anyone chime in and provide a tutorial/video/guidance that will help me understand an effective procedure that gets the green tags with the highest amount of click volume? What I've been doing in the past is dumping tons of related tags in my tag window and waiting for the system to show which ones are green then I delete the non-greens till I get to under 500 characters. This method seems ineffective to me. Any guidance would be super helpful. Andrew, do you have a video tutorial that addresses this topic?

[​IMG]
    Finding relevant green tags with high click volume is the most difficult and time consuming task with the content creation process. Pinning down a working procedure for this task is very important to me and I'm sure I'm note alone.​

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    DragoNate likes this.
  2. DragoNate

DragoNate Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

Actually, I don't think the green number tag is as significant as it seems. At least simply in and of itself. For example, if I take my last live stream:
    Dancing in the minefields S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Yanov Helipad helicopter
    I put that in as a tag, it guaranteed shows as a 1 because if you were type that entire thing in to the search, it is an exact match for a huge, long-tail keyword.
    However, someone searching for "dancing in the minefields" likely won't find it (easily) because there's 10k other results regarding music (one of my favorite songs, btw :D )
    Also, remember, at the bottom underneath the tags box, it shows that the green [x] is "for YOU" on there ;)

Regardless, the green gives you an idea that, for those who that video/tag would be relevant to, it will show pretty high in search :)

3. Scott Fichter

Nate, yea I think I understand your point. I think your telling me that anyone can get green tags and its easy but if the tag is some obscure long tail tag nobody will search for it. I'll change my language above to reflect this point.

DragoNate likes this.
  4. DragoNate

No problem, just wanted to mention it. Sorry if I came off a little discouraging there, wasn't my intention :)

To answer the question properly, what I usually do is try to come up with a either a catchy (but relevant) title for the video, and then I build tags off of that. Taking my example from above, I was told that I would have to go through a minefield in the game to get to a certain point (the helicopter) and I immediately though of the song Dancing in the Minefields, so I used it in my title. Catchy, sounds interesting and it's perfectly relevant!
    Then I can go with "minefield helicopter" "yanov minefield" and so on and so forth.
    This didn't get me too many green tags, but I don't worry too much about it. As long as there's a few, then I'm happy and the non-green are still good for related videos ;)

Paul likes this.
  5. Scott Fichter

No worries dude. Your initial post did not convey negativity in any way. Yea, I'm with you. I'm happy if I have over three greens but it's rare. What kills me is seeing these tutorials where creators show that EVERY tag (almost every tag) is green. I'm guessing YT gives channels with high sub counts tag preference.

DragoNate likes this.
  6. DragoNate

Not sure if it's necessarily high sub counts, or rather higher watch time. Watch time is definitely prioritized, which is the unfortunate reason it's so hard to compete with those guys. They have high watch time, so tags aren't really a problem for them as YT will promote it based on other criteria. Tags for us, however, are extremely important, with no tags, we don't get seen, then we don't get watch time, so we get buried. It's a fine balance I guess.

7. RonTraveLife

RonTraveLife Newbie Member TubeBuddy Pro

Top Poster Of Month

I agree with High Subs + High watch time will get more / most green Tags, Yes because they are watched by many and of course advertisers will be happy if their products will be featured/advertised by those Big YouTubers, this might sound frustrating in some way but, we just have to keep moving, no one knows someday we could be them.

tubebuddy.jpg

DragoNate likes this.
  8. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

it's a balance of getting green tags where people are searching for it, but it's not too competitive! I focus on finding tags for search phrases that people are constantly searching for, and then making my tags a unique spin or variation of that!

DragoNate and RonTraveLife like this.
  9. Ceorge_Christofi

Ceorge_Christofi Member TubeBuddy Star

I actually tried an experiment. I found one of my videos that had identical subject matter to one that was rated at no 2. I copied all the tags using tb. put them into my video. dropped the ones exclusive to the channel i took them from. His were green numbered according to tb. Mine .. NONE of them were green for exactly the same video subject. The only difference.. I have 300 subs, the other guy has 30,000.

DragoNate likes this.
  10. xingcat

xingcat Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

I am absolutely terrible at locating anything that hits the green, except, as @DragoNate mentioned, things that aren't searched for, like the names of my series' and my characters.

DragoNate likes this.