Question What's your posting workflow?

Discussion in 'YouTube Discussion' started by Draconicrose, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Draconicrose

Draconicrose Member

So, the worst part of posting for me is getting everything done as efficiently as possible. I usually make my custom thumbnail and small video for Facebook while the video is still uploading. I also use the tube buddy templates to get my description and tags set, as well as monetization and advanced settings. So far, so good.

What I find clunky is after the video goes up. I do my initial engagement with the video, leaving a comment to encourage people to comment as well. I use Buffer to share to Twitter, Facebook, and G+. Then, I manually share on Tumblr and Patreon.

The problem is, each post isn't thus anywhere near optimized for any social network. If I do the posts manually, there is a lot of back and forth copying and pasting.

I'm interested in both ideas on how to make this whole process more efficient and in hearing other people's workflows.

Shawn Gossman likes this.
  2. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Active Member TubeBuddy Legend

I've been developing a new approach to how I use social media to market my YouTube channel. I figure this much... If you're doing the same thing on Twitter as you are of Facebook, Google Plus, Pinterest and so on - you're doing it wrong. "We" want our fans to follow us on all social outlets right? So with that in mind, I think it is important to use each social networking profile differently than the other. Do something unique with each of them while still marketing your YouTube videos. Maybe when I work out the kinks and all that with my approach, I'll write an article on this forum about it if you all are interested. :)

Chase Charaba and Draconicrose like this.
  3. Draconicrose

Draconicrose Member

Yes, I would like reading that! I've tried catering to each social media site before, but it wasn't bringing me any engagement, while also wasting my time. Maybe I was doing it wrong, which is possible.

4. Ikerot

Ikerot Well-Known Member TubeBuddy User

I agree with @Shawn Gossman. Although I haven't fulfilling my own quota at the current moment lol. Been at a low point. Usually I tweet a lot more when I'm doing something and on facebook I'd be able to write more without character limitation. Instagram has always been my middle ground where I post a bit of both from my twitter and facebook (and a lot of food pic). Haven't been doing that very much lately though >_<

Other than that, my posting workflow consist of me uploading a scheduled video and making the thumbnail either that day or for later. Every video always come out 4:30 PST. When it does come out, I manually tweet out the video. Then onto instagram and facebook. Those three are the only ones I use lol. I have different people talking to me on different social media so it's a bit jarring for me since I'd much prefer everything to be singular o_o

Draconicrose likes this.
  5. InstrumentalMotion

InstrumentalMotion Newbie Member

I do a multi-pronged release for Facebook. Initially I post a picture (usually the thumbnail from Tube Buddy) with the link included. This usually ranks the highest in the metrics. Next about a day later I post the direct youtube link to Facebook. Finally, I have been pulling a .gif file off of the video lately using giphy and then I make a post using that + the youtube link on day 3 after a release. Also depending on the release I try and get a larger website to embed the video on an article on their website so I can have a 4th URL to post to facebook. Then as each of these post I have a rotating list of content related groups that get the link, but it changes what kind of link they get each time I post a new video so one group will get a .gif post, then the next week they get a website link, etc.

Facebook is generally my biggest external source of traffic, so varying the post type (picture, website link, gif, youtube link) helps me get more out of each video I post. Luckily since facebook has some really good scheduling features I can get every one of the posts scheduled as soon as my video finishes uploading on my channel. Technically I do similar stuff to other social media channels like Twitter and Reddit, but I never see those paying off as much as my Facebook page for drawing traffic to my Youtube channel.

Draconicrose, Chase Charaba and Paul like this.
  6. Chase Charaba

Chase Charaba Member

I've been terrible at promotion and my workflow lately, but I'm trying to get back into it with a new system. What I'm trying to do now is first promote my video on Twitter with just the link and then post my video in the two Discord YouTube community servers I'm a member of. I'll share the video to my Facebook page and share that post to my personal Facebook profile to get my friends and family to view it. I'm going to start pushing my content out through Instagram stories and snapchat and I'm planning on reviving my Wordpress blog or starting a new one.

My blog post would include information about why I made the video and how I made it in writing to attract the Wordpress community. Twitter is just generic for me. Facebook appeals to family and friends so I try to be more sociable and "normal." Discord is all my YouTube pals so I use that to ask for feedback and they are the ones most likely to leave a comment on my videos.

I have a Tumblr, but I never use it. I should start, even for just my photography (which is better than my videos for sure!) Once I get this down I'll see how it works. I don't mind spending a lot of time manually posting to social media because I actually really enjoy the social media aspect.

Draconicrose likes this.
  7. Draconicrose

Draconicrose Member

I'm enjoying reading what everyone does to promote their videos! Please, do keep them coming, I'm already getting cool ideas!

Andrew likes this.
  8. Bakari

Bakari New User

One of the things that has seriously helped me with my posting workflow is setting up Firefox with only the relevant web pages I need to complete the process of uploading and preparing my videos for publication. So I have tabs open for of course TubeBuddy pages, as well as Facebook, Canva, and GetResponse. I don't use Firefox for any other web browsing. When I open it, the tabs are ready to get so that I can get everything ready while the video is uploading from ScreenFlow.

9. Tito Tim

Tito Tim Member

I have pared down to just a FB page to promote my channel. The rest took too much time and seemed to be nonproductive. I was monitoring it and 55% of my views came from 'suggested' videos, 20% from 'browse', 8% "YT search", and way behind was 2% from "external links". It was way too much work for 2%. I am working on getting listed better in the suggested videos. That seems to be a major source of traffic. Over 90% of my views come from within YT. Your mileage may vary.

I still use the FB page to keep in contact with subscribers because YT is a terrible chat service (Comment management is my favorite part of TubeBuddy). And of course I have Patreon to promote my charity work, and try to get regular donations.

10. RGS Rblood

RGS Rblood Newbie Member

My posting workflow is kinda wonky tbh. As of rn im helping take care of my twin sister, April. But, I will be uploading a series daily or bi-daily. Then on fridays... Maybe Friday Ill post a thanksgiving vlog with the family. But My posting schedule is Everyday. Then friday.
    Then once the video goes up. I share it on my facebook and twitter (If i remember) and my discord.

11. Tito Tim

Tito Tim Member

My actual video workflow kind of depends on the topic. Some get more complicated than others. Generally as I shoot I am already visualizing the editing. I will narrate as I film if noise levels allow, otherwise I do voice overs (the Philippines is ridiculously loud ha ha). I have a folder on my desktop named "blogs & vids in progress". I also have folders "ready to upload", "needs voice overs", and "vids".

The vids folder is for already uploaded and waiting to be backed up on my external drives - all raw pics, vids, my editing project, thumbnail files, and the finished avi. I try to keep this folder as empty as possible, that is what the external drives are for.

I have to do voice overs when my wife is away. Laundry day is good as she is at the well most of the day (that is 2 or 3 days a week). They will be fully edited and background sounds turned down enough to be heard but not get in the way of the voice over. Music is in place, if there is any (royalty free lofi hip hop mostly). I prefer not to do voice overs if I can help it.

As I edit the video I keep an eye out for a good thumbnail. Sometimes it is a pic I took, or a screenshot of the video. Quite often a composite. I have a Photoshop template for thumbnails.

I have a PowerDirector template for my videos that has the 3 second intro and 20 second closing animation, I put end cards over the closing.

I tend to finish 3 or 4 videos at a time because of the voice over day. I upload them all at once, using a default setup. Most of my tags stay the same but I have room to add tags more relevant to each video. I have a preset bottom portion on the description with music and green screen credits, and some affiliate links (TubeBuddy, Amazon etc). I add a good description for each video on top of the default text.

Because the AI is flagging 4 out of 5 of my vids as not advertiser friendly I upload them as Private and wait for them to get flagged and cleared - then make them Public. I try to release 2 or 3 a week.

I do not usually add a first comment, but have heard that I should... I guess I will try it and see. I share some on FB. I was making a FB native condensed version of the video, with a link to the full YT video, but that has not generated many views and I don't do it as much anymore.

RGS Rblood likes this.