Seeking Advice What to do When People are Not Subscribing?

Discussion in 'Content Strategies' started by avrona, Mar 25, 2018.

1. avrona

avrona Member

So a large problem my channel currently has is that people are not subscribing to my channel, even if I manage to make a video that gets a crazy amount of views like 40-100. This is causing a lot of problems in terms of growth for my channel, as it only has 224 subscribers and 11.7k views after 4 and a half years. So since my videos won't get recommended that much and stuff like that in the first place, as few people are watching them, my channel really depends on SEO and people subscribing. However even when I published a video that got 100 views a few weeks ago, in the week that followed, not only did no one new subscribed, but I lost 4 subscribers. No matter how much I remind people to do it in videos and stuff like that, people are simply not coming back or even subscribing. What can I do to solve this issue?

2. Timbo

Timbo Newbie Member TubeBuddy Pro

I'll stick my neck out here Avrona. Although only a new YouTuber I have a background in marketing and film and animation...particularly in Games and Toys (I've imported, sold and marketed Pokemon toys and card games by the million). The main difficulty in selling the actual Pokemon card games themselves is that they are 'static'. They don't move...they don't 'do anything' they rely upon the imagination of the purchaser...and quite often that can be limited. I can remember training sessions for the marketing departments carried out by the original franchise consortium that spoke about the need to make store displays and advertising 'animated'.

So, I took some time to watch a couple of your videos. Your channel looks fantastic I must say. Good artwork, uniform thumbnails etc, all by the YouTube playbook. Watching the first video you have a static screen for 34 seconds and then move through various other static screens.
    If it were me, I'd add some movement to the video. Something to catch the viewers attention. Your end screen is really good but when you ask the viewer to subscribe you say 'like, subscribe, whatever'. It's really downbeat. Take a look at Nick Nimmin's videos. Just as in your video, he's giving the viewer information, but he makes it animated. He tells us in words and pictures how to subscribe...but more importantly, he tells us why we should subscribe, and he keeps repeating that message.

So in your case, market your channel directly to someone who plays the game. 'Do you want to be the very best Pokemon Trainer? Then subscribe to Avrona for the very latest Pokemon news, hints and tricks!" Put that call to subscribe at the beginning. Animate the screen, add some sound effects to keep them paying attention.

Back to those original sales and marketing training sessions. We were told to imagine that we were selling real, live Pokemon to the customers. Make them excited, make them anticipate each new release, each new animation episode, each manga book etc. And you are doing the same in your videos. 'Gotta catch 'em all' was the English slogan for Pokemon. The same goes for your videos. Turn that slogan around a bit. 'Gotta WATCH 'em all'. Tell them why they have to watch them all. Make it animated, easily understood and above all give them something they will not get elsewhere.:)

3. Paul

Paul Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Pro

Great information @Timbo!

4. avrona

avrona Member

I have already seen most of his videos along with most other videos by YouTube growth YouTubers yet my channel still stands as it does despite me taking onboard everything they do, So what exactly can I fix in this situation?
    I feel like that would be way too cringey for my channel.

5. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

GREAT ADVICE.

I have seen a lot of your threads. If you are not willing to take the advice..., why ask for it? :)

Why does it seem cringy, to me it seems like a reference to the show!

DragoNate likes this.
  6. avrona

avrona Member

Why would I not take advice? Seeing my channel's current state it would make no sense not to take advice? And why would I ask for advice if I wouldn't even take it?
    It's a pretty overused reference though, and changing it around to make it a slogan on YouTube just can't end well for a serious channel.

7. Andrew

You have a lot of threads, my main thing is I keep seeing threads, but no updates on advice :) Perhaps update us! :D Would love to see what you are doing, and what's working!

It's a children's card game o_O? (Insert Yugioh Abridged Reference here)

DragoNate likes this.
  8. avrona

avrona Member

In terms of what.
    Nothing is. That's why I'm asking why my channel only has 224 subscribers after 4 and a half years.

9. Andrew

If you're getting advice and nothing is working .... I am just a bit confused how it's working for everyone, but you. That's why I asked to see what you are doing to change things up :)

DragoNate likes this.
  10. avrona

avrona Member

I'm confused about that either. I don't understand why nothing helps my channel.
    Well recently I started adding less 1-word tags, added more channel tags, making thumbnails without the same blurred galaxy background. Those were all the things suggested by 2 professionals in a YouTube advice group, who said in a meeting we had on the 3/3 that these things will greatly help my channel before our next meeting on 3/4. The 3/4 is almost upon us and still nothing has improved.

11. Ater

Ater Newbie Member

That means that you on average get 1.9 subs from 100 views, I might be wrong but I believe that that's very good and you can't expect a much higher sub to views rate than that. As for an comparison, my own channel is nowhere near that subs/views rating and the biggest channel of them all, PewDiePie is getting 0.36 subs from 100 views.

So your problem is not that people are not subscribe to the channel, I mean you are crushing PewDiePie, so it's rather the opposite, you have a very high average of people subscribing to your channel.

For every smaller channel is very common to have days when the sub count decline, in the latest 30 days according to analytics I lost subs during 5 days, had 5 days with +/- 0 days and 20 days with positive subs. It's frustrating to lose subs, but every smaller channel has days where the sub count decline.

**Disclaimer, I'm very tired right not so I take no responsibility for that the math is correct :cool:

12. avrona

avrona Member

That is still a huge problem. The channel still only has 224 subscribers after 4 and a half years.

13. Ater

Ater Newbie Member

Yes clearly your channel is not growing as quick as you would like, but if more people on average are subbing to your channel than some of the biggest YouTubers in the world then the problem is not that people are not subscribing but other things.

Andrew likes this.
  14. avrona

avrona Member

However people are still clearly more slowly subscribing to me than most channels out there as the channel still only has 224 subscribers after so long. And what could does other things be?

15. Ater

Ater Newbie Member

No people are NOT more slowly subscribing to your channel than most channels out there, it's the opposite, as I just showed in an earlier post in this thread you are getting more subscribers/view than PewDiePie, I also just took a look at every single person that have commented in this thread and you are getting more subscribers/view than every single one of them, including the guy with 13k subscribers.

Your problem (if your main goal is to grow quickly) is rather low amount of views (you are getting a lot of subscribers based on your amount of views) and also from what we learned in another of your thread that your average view duration is very low.

Andrew likes this.
  16. avrona

avrona Member

They are though. The channel only has 224 subscribers after 4 and a half years. That is slow subscriber growth.
    Well how can I fix it?

17. Ater

Ater Newbie Member

There is no easy fix, if there where everyone would be YouTube millionaires. Did a quick search on the topic and found a site that claimed that 8 months ago there was about 46.3 million active channels (channels that post regularly), I have no idea if that number is correct but there are clearly many millions of active channels and I'm betting that most of them have less than 1000 subs.

I think you know all the basic on how to get more views, tags, thumbnails, titles and so on. But that's just a small part of it, there are a million other things that come into effect. What topic your videos about, how big the competition are for your topic, how many people search for your topic, the quality of your video and audio, how entertaining you are, how educational your videos are, how funny your videos are, how you voice sound, how you speak, what dialect you have, how intriguing your storytelling are and so on.

All these things together and many more will be the basics for how your channel is growing, how long people watch your videos, how long you can keep them interested, if they want to come back for more later, if they are going to share your videos with their friends and post them in social media and so on.

The only thing one can do is to learn from what you have done in the past, learn from what others are doing better than you, learn from what your statistics are telling you and so on and so on. A example from my own channel that I have realized after I studied my analytics is that my average view duration is far lower than I would like it to be, this means that my videos are not good enough, maybe people find my videos a bit boring, maybe they are a bit slow paced, maybe I'm not intriguing enough in my story telling, maybe they don't like my dialect since english is my second language and so on. I don't know exactly why but I have a plan for the future where I will try a lot of new stuff and see how it effect viewer duration. Going to try faster paced videos, going to try more eddied videos, going to try videos where I'm more educational explaining exactly what I do in the game I'm playing and why, going to do videos where I focus more on telling a story with what is going on in the game rather than just playing the game, going to try videos where I talk less about what I'm doing and instead try to be a bit more funny and so on.

I have a document on my computer with a lot of ides that I want to try to do different in the future based on the problems my videos are currently having, some of them will probably end in a disaster, but hopefully one or two of them will be successful giving me higher than average viewer duration.

Remember that no matter how much time you put in your channel may never be huge success, most of the channels on YouTube will never be a huge success. Maybe your topic has to much competition, maybe your topics is to small (as an example the focus of my channel is small enough that the biggest channel in the world focusing on the topic has less than 70K subscribers), maybe you are good but other people focusing on the same topic is even better and so on. Do it because you are having fun, not because subscriber numbers are everything.

Also an interesting thing I saw just a few days ago, a guy that had a channel on one topic with about 10k subscribers and videos he had been putting a lot of time into. But then he decided to go for another channel instead with a completely different topic and and that channel and topic went so much better and he got like 200K subscribers or something like that on that channel. So maybe if you have been working very hard for a long time on a channel with a curtain niche and it's just never taking off then maybe you are focusing on the wrong thing and maybe you are more suitable for a completely different channel focusing on another topic? But that's of course only if growing is the most important thing to you, if you do what you do because you love it stick to it.

Timbo likes this.
  18. Paul

Paul Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Pro

A good start would be to really get familiar with all of your YouTube Analytics. Figure out when, where and why viewers are leaving by looking at the audience retention of a video.Then go watch the video and see if you can see a pattern in other videos.

Research and find what videos of larger channels within your niche are getting the most views. You want to show up in suggested videos next to these videos! That means configuring your uploads, titles and tags accordingly. I hope this helps, -Paul

Andrew likes this.
  19. Timbo

Timbo Newbie Member TubeBuddy Pro

As a content creator you wear many hats, the marketing manager is just one of the many roles and hats you have to wear, and a complex one. There is no magic button to press to make your channel live up to your exact expectations. If there was, I'm fairly sure TubeBuddy would have created it and my subscription cost will have increased dramatically while @Andrew sits on his yacht sipping interesting fruit cocktails!

Start with some basics. Is Pokemon an expanding trend? Retail figures suggest no. Basket penetration (how well a product is performing in various categories) is falling, 0.04% in 2017 to 0.02% in 2018. Sales are falling quite rapidly. The demographics of a purchaser is also changing. The average purchaser and player of Pokemon products is a white twenty-five-year-old woman of higher intelligence with two or more children. The increasing age of consumers tells me that the purchaser is growing older and is not being replaced by a younger generation. These are all things that you have to think of with regard to your YouTube Channel. The figures tell me that fewer people are buying Pokemon products so expect falling interest in a channel dedicated to that product, is your channel content aimed towards the right demographic?

The loss of demographic information from YouTube Analytics is something that does concern me with one of our channels. I don't know if anyone else finds this loss a little idiotic on YouTube's part?

At the end of the day, there is only so much advice that can be given and acted upon. You can probably guess I put a lot of research into each channel I'm creating. Our fragrance channel has been our testing ground and I researched that for two years before starting. My boating channel is almost, almost, at the point where I will press the record button on the camera and that has been over four years in the planning. Twenty videos in on the fragrance channel...and I'm still tweaking everything from lighting to format. Not all advice will work on our channel or fit our personalities, but...I can always adapt and reinterpret that advice and fit it to our channels.

I spend more time on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram than YouTube promoting the various channels. I tinker with everything and collect information on the result, go and research some more and then tinker again. For example, we started getting the occasional comment that the background music was 'distracting'. Even though I had purposefully lowered the levels of the music to their lowest setting. A bit of research and I discover that the folks that made the comments also subscribed to ASMR channels. Absolutely nothing to do with our channel whatsoever! But...I remove the background music totally from specific sections of the video, pump up the volume on the voice, play with the EQ, start to make a feature of 'smelling' the fragrance and we start pulling more subscribers on that and subsequent videos.

The point I'm making is...there is no way on earth that I have followed all the advice I've been given to the letter or tried every possible solution. If my channel is not performing to my expectation then there are three possible problems. Either my expectations are too high, my content is not of the highest quality or interest or the subject matter of my content does not have a high enough volume of interest. I try and start from a position of making my product which is our videos and channel something the viewers want to consume. If the viewers are not subscribing then the product is at fault, not the viewers or the hosting platform.

I can't make people like our videos and subscribe to our channels but I can make our videos into something that people will like and then want to subscribe to our channels. The first step is to accept the problem does not lie elsewhere other than with my content.

Right, I'm heading off to the hospital as my Grandson was born at 1:37 this morning!

20. Ater

Ater Newbie Member

Really good post! A lot of great advices in it for most content creators! And congratulations on your new grandson!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Timbo and Andrew like this.