Technology What graphic card do you use for video editing?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Technology Discussion' started by LastingSpark, Oct 29, 2018.

1. LastingSpark

LastingSpark New User

Hi all,

Was wondering what graphic card you guys use for editing, be it internal or dedicated. I know CPU and RAM are important, but my only bottleneck at the moment is my GPU.

I am currently using integrated Intel graphics to edit 4K footage and it can be a real pain. I used to have a dedicated GPU, but it broke, 5 months back. Was waiting for the prices of GPU's to go down due to the crypto currency craze.

I found a great deal on the AMD RX 580, so I might pounce :D

Below is my setup for those that care. I still haven't removed the plastic wrapper from my computer case.

upload_2018-10-29_22-26-42.png

Andrew likes this.
  2. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

Love this thread! I am using a intel i7! I use a Geforce 1080 and 32 gigs of ram for rendering!

Aaron likes this.
  3. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member Verified Professional

Before anything else I just want to say your using my favorite case design in existence (The 780t with its automotive inspired look just brings me joy but it isn't big enough to reliably fit my build.)

I've been editing on my Mac Pro for a solid 4 years until I recently made the jump to 4k and found that my machine which was rated to handle 4k couldn't handle it at all (and then ended up having a part fail in it causing incredible slow-downs in basic workflow to where I've been using a macbook air for months). GPU ended up being a bottleneck for me as well although it didn't help that Apple clearly throttled the speeds of the Mac Pro to control the temperatures making the hardware slower than it would be on paper.

My mac used Crossfire'd AMD D700 Firepro cards (Basically two of their W5000 Workstation cards at the end of the day as the cards are basically identical) If you were to compare that to a gaming card my understanding is that it would be somewhat similar to a GTX 750. If 3DMark test scores are anything to go off of the card your looking at should perform pretty significantly better than both of the cards in my old system ever did... albeit they are two very different classes of GPUs as mine were designed for 24/7 workstation use.

My new build that I'm literally in the middle of putting together is using a tried and tested combination that not only will real-time edit 4k raw video but will also handle 8k at half resolution preview (for premiere). Some editing programs like Davinci Resolve recommend multi-gpu systems so that one card can work on the video while the other powers your display although I can't give you any proof to back up that suggestion and I'll be sure to do some benchmarking to test that out. Here is the parts list for my current build I'm putting together which will hopefully be complete by the end of November: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JHHTV6 This doesn't include any of my peripherals I use and its just the internal parts.

Edit: to save you needing to even look at the parts list I'm using 2 third party FOC'd versions of the 1080ti card, specifically the EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Elite, Ryzen Threadripper 2950x CPU and 64GB of DDR4 3200mhz CAS 14 Ram

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  4. LastingSpark

LastingSpark New User

Well I decided to pounce and got it up running. I can see a big difference, my screen stopped flickering xD

My specs:
    CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz
    RAM: 32.0GB DDR4
    Motherboard: MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA (LGA1151)
    Graphics: 8192MB ATI Radeon RX 580 Series

Andrew:
    you have a beast of a machine nice.

Aaron: Yep same here, my favourite case so far in terms of looks and has more than enough space for me.
    I had a macbook pro, which I used as my "coding" laptop.

As everything just seems to work first time on mac, in terms of developer tools. However, whenever I tried to edit 4k footage, it would struggle massively.
    I also couldn't justify having 1k worth of tech just sat there, so sold it last week.

Just had a look at the Mac Pro, they look like quality pieces of kit, but seem so pricey.

Wow, your new build seems that of dreams :D

Attached Files:

Andrew likes this.
  5. Aaron

The Mac Pro was reliable for 4 years but in no way was it as good as machine as it looks to be. Thing ran so hot you could cook a steak on it and because of that the machine rarely if ever performed as well as it should have and eventually it had a GPU died which made it where if I tried to run at the supported 4k60 the screen would flicker and glitch so bad that the computer would become unusable. Once I burnt out the SSD I was really SOL but from the start the machine was never really perfect.

Yeah the new build is gonna be great though.. and it costs less than the original price of my Mac and for that I'm absolutely in awe.

LastingSpark likes this.
  6. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

Not bad specs yourself! :D

Aaron and LastingSpark like this.
  7. GearVlogz

GearVlogz Active Member TubeBuddy Pro

Not sure how much this plays into the deciding factor but depending on what your using for editing software could play into which card to get. I've heard that Adobe Premiere is set up for the NVidia cards and not sure how well with the AMD's. in my laptop I'm running a GTX1070, I just wish that I could afford the subscription fees for Adobe CC.

8. LastingSpark

LastingSpark New User

Only downside is that my monitor uses AMD freesync.
    So was pretty much stuck on a AMD GPU, if I wanted to use that feature.
    GTX1070 not a bad card at all.
    Adobe Subscription fee's do suck...

GearVlogz and Aaron like this.
  9. Aaron

Mine is freesync too funny enough... I just never used the feature so I never cared about the idea of losing it xD

GearVlogz and LastingSpark like this.
  10. Photoguy

Photoguy Newbie Member

I go with my GTX 1080, 16 gig RAM, Intel i7, and a very silent case so there's no noise from the fans while recording audio. I also use minimun lighting effects in case I do vlogging so there's no unwanted lights in the picture. Also have two screens and a studio mic with a mic stand that is mounted on my desktop table.