Tools What are the best websites to create and sell Merch?

Discussion in 'Content Strategies' started by GameVestment, Aug 18, 2018.

1. GameVestment

GameVestment Newbie Member

Coucou everyone!

I know I'm too small and I'm not thinking to sell merchandise right now but it is something I would like to have figured out in the future.

Do you have any experience with merchandise? (Preferably clothing)
    Would like to know a good company with good products, good reputation and where you can obtain a good profit?

For example, I believe theyetee . com gives you like $1,5 profit per shirt sold. I also know that YouTube is partnered with Teespring but isn't that only for 10K subs channels although I guess you can still try it...

Overall, I would like to know your recommendations and experiences!
    Thanks so much!

2. Damon

Damon Active Member TubeBuddy User

Top Poster Of Month

Why are you too small to sell merchandise? I only have 3k subscribers and I'm building an entire fishing tackle business off that. Do you realize most small businesses will never see a thousand people walking through there doors in a year even.

Forget just T shirts. Start looking at the entire business aspects: teaching online classes, e-books, import products from China, invent and craft your own products, offer YouTube and consulting services. There's so much more than T-shirts and ball caps.

3. GameVestment

Well... simple answer is because I like that idea, I appreciate your suggestions but I don't see anything wrong if someone wants to have some kind of merchandise like mugs or t-shirts, I'm pretty sure there are still good reasons for choosing shirts or clothing as merch. If that wasn't the case, then YouTube wouldn't be partnering with Teespring. I understand your point and respect it but that's not what I'm looking for right now, maybe in the future if my channel keeps growing, you never know. Also, as I wrote before... is for research purposes.... I'm not interested in selling merchandise right now (building a channel and your audience is more important than thinking about merch imo), but is always good to research, analyse and compare different options for the future.

4. Damon

Top Poster Of Month

Specific Answer to Your T-shirt Options:
    Here's another option. Why not go down to a local t-shirt shop and see if they would be willing to make a few t-shirts for you. Offer to feature them--the company itself--on your YouTube channel. See if it generates interest with your current audience--which its not small, btw. Somethings are better learned as you go. You'd get to learn the T-shirt business first hand, test for viability with your audience, and use the time to learn how to feature and craft different types of videos: interviewing a small local company, really trying to make a creative effort to feature them in the best light.

Other Points:
    I understand that you like the idea of merchandising; why do you think your channel is too small for merchandising? At what point have you decided that your channel will be big enough for merchandising? Why not experiment now, so that you can sort things out for when/if your audience gets big? What if you never get to the point where you think you're big enough. What if people want merchandise from you now? Would you tell them no?

Your channel is bigger than mine, and I'm merchandising, and most of everything I focus on is making better quality videos, aspiring to National Geographic AND BBC quality documentaries. A focus on better content has driven most new sales for me, a feedback loop. People vote with their bank accounts.

I don't understand why you think you're too small for this.

The truth in any business endeavor, even simple merchandising, is that there is no figuring out the future. The future might not get here, and things change so fast today that whatever you plan today will most certainly be "out-of-date" tomorrow.

The question is why not jump in on a small scale now, test and refine your idea of merchandising, see where it can go, and ultimately determine what will be needed to make it work. That's the only way to plan in business. Things have to be built on empirical data, not guesses, outlines and future hopes.

That't not to say jump in haphazardly, but if you can't test it out with 5,000 subscribers, then no plan, no matter how well researched, will help you unless there is a component of said plan that will put something into action, tested, refined and advanced. Otherwise it's just a dream.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  5. Griffin Magleby

Griffin Magleby New User

I like printful.com a lot and you can have it put onto your very own site rather than selling your merch off of someone else's store.

6. GameVestment

Thanks for the advice and I know you are trying to help but I don't think you understand what I'm looking for right now, I understand what you are trying to say and I agree but as I mentioned before: I'm not interested in selling merchandise right now because of these reasons...

To answer your questions:
    Why not go down to a local t-shirt shop?
    Because my audience is not located in France and making a t-shirt here is expensive + shipping. That's why an online solution located in the USA is the best option since they already have a lot of things figured out and they usually keep prices low.

Why not jump in on a small scale now?
    Well, you are answering your own question there. That's what I've been asking this whole time (not looking to create something original or new which will be a guess or future hope) just empirical data telling me. Hey, I worked with this company, for XXX shirts you can earn $XXX you have this % of revenue or X amount. This kind of merchandise is the small scale you are talking about... you don't pay anything, you only design, share and let them do all the work... your profit will be low but if this small scale works... then you can think of your own clothing brand or earn a little bit extra money, and save it to create something original and different. We have different channels, different audience and they want different things. I have other ways to earn extra revenue from all of this which are way better than selling merch and now that all of that is ready... I can start researching about Merch and that's what I've been trying to do.

Why do you think your channel is too small for merchandising?
    Well, I just said that not to look petty and be like "OHHH I got 5K in 3 months I can sell merch now cause I'm growing a lot". I always try to stay humble and realistic. I know some 100K subs channels only sell like 1 mug or shirt per month so I know is really difficult to make people pay for something. It's even difficult to make them click subscribe and that's free LMAO. Don't take it too personal, is just a way to begin a conversation, ask for help and avoid toxic comments.

I read and reply to almost EVERY comment on my channel, I know my audience and I know that they don't care about merchandise, they care about other things that are a priority and that I'm working on right now. That's why I'm just researching about this topic so when that day comes... I'll be ready. There's no point of building a store or creating something original right now if my audience is asking for other things.

Yes... there's a way to figure out the future, you will never know for sure but that's why companies run projections and it works better if you know your audience and what they want. It's really difficult to do but if it's done right it can work extremely well.

Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it man! I believe now it should be clear what I'm looking for. Keep up the great work and best wishes with your channel!

7. Damon

Top Poster Of Month

Okay, I see. Different situation, difficult geographic logistics, different audience type, preliminary research trying to plan for the future given all the above.

GameVestment likes this.
  8. EV Nick

EV Nick Member

for tshirts and mugs i use Teespring.com nice and simple

9. GameVestment

Interesting... would you be so kind of sharing how much you earn for every t-shirt sell... is it better than the $1,5 profit that theyqtee.com offers?

Thank you so much for replying!!