Seeking Advice What am I Doing Wrong?

Discussion in 'Content Strategies' started by avrona, May 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avrona

avrona Member

Hey everyone,

I've been on YouTube for over 4 years now, and it's most certainly been an interesting trip. When I started my channel 4 years ago, I thought that like any normal channel, it will grow. But boy was I wrong, as for some reason, my channel cannot even do that, and after so many years, I am stuck on 226 subscribers and 12k views.

Here, for example, is a subscriber comparison between my channel (green) and another channel with very similar content to mine, but which was only started this year: https://imgur.com/a/sqShT4J

And that's just one example out of many, pretty much most channel started around the same time as me and a lot started even later could be used as an example of the abysmal growth my channel has, despite consistent uploading of quality content (or at least content better than a lot of clickbaity channels with more subscribers than me somehow), audience interaction (as much as it is possible with a channel so small with so many inactive subscribers), and a bunch of video promotion. I also upload 6 videos a week, so the chances of someone seeing and channel are as high as possible.

Please just don't assume I feel discouraged by all of this, as people seem to think that just because my channel is doing so bad I may feel demotivated. However that's not the case at all. In fact I don't even know where they are getting that from. I don't look at a channel like IHE, which was started just 5 days before mine and think "Oh, they've been doing YT for as long as me, yet they have 1.6 million subs and I only have 208. I guess there's no hope. Better stop caring about making videos". Like, how would that even work? Are there actually people out there who get discouraged from doing YT by something so pathetic?

For all the reasons I said above I am in a big need of critique and tips that could help improve things, and get my channel out of this hole it is in. Feedback is really appreciated, as finally getting my channel to grow is one of the most important things to me.

I haven't really got an issue with my videos so to speak, because I wouldn't post a video if it has a clear flaw, it just wouldn't make any sense. If I see something is wrong, I'm proactive about it and fix it. Not fixing it would simply be lazy and not helping my channel as much, as the video wouldn't be as appealing to the people of YouTube. I believe the videos have a good flow to them, are upbeat, interesting, and entertaining. Also as expected with most YouTubers, my first few videos from 4 years ago were not the best, however quality quickly improved. But for whatever reason, as the quality, thumbnails, and SEO improved, the number of views went down. My most popular video ever was from my first year and got 320 views. None of my videos beat that yet. Well one did but it was posted on my 2nd channel.

2. kunicross

kunicross Active Member

So, I´ll try to be frank & blunt but not insulting so I would appreciate if you take what I'm saying into consideration without being angry about it - I´m not trying to insult you but might help a bit, if I can.

Isn't that the 3rd time you started this exactly same topic? As far as I remember you pretty much declined all help offered which might be the main reason no one has written anything so far. (And may be part of the underlying problem)

I think a channel trailer would already help a bit, also speaking a bit slower might make it easier to understand you.

My initial idea was always that Pokemon just is more or less on a decline but since I´m that one person that never has played any of the original pokemon games and only watched about 1/10 of any episode of the TV show. (Also makes it about impossible to judge your videos) (Well Pokemon Go seems to be still running at least we had a invasion of peoples with up to 3 cells in their hand last weekend in our small village and it looked really like they were playing that...)

Search term wise the topic does not look to bad and you might only need one really big video to get a breakthrough - usually being very early onto something hot, new & requested does work quite good. (like if a new very much expected Pokemon computer game comes onto the market)

Do you have a secondary channel in your native language? I did that and it turned out quite satisfying - of course English is the language of the world but much stuff is just easier in your native thong and also the competition might not be so fierce locally. (as well as improved local networking possibilities)

Also some self-marketing in Pokemon related sites / networking groups / Facebook / reddit might help.

And the very last thing - it might could be helpful to go to a less tight schedule - if constantly put up 6 videos a week you pretty much will fatigue out your new subscribers right away - there are very few people and topics most people can stand every day for prolonged period of time - stuff like daily life streams might work better but that's difficult if your based in Europe and your main audience is in the US.

Damon and DragoNate like this.
  3. avrona

avrona Member

Yes because my channel is still doing absolutely terribly and isn't growing at all.
    I thought about making one for ages now, but I have no idea on what to actually put in it and more importantly, what style to even do it in.
    Don't worry, I haven't played any either.
    Then why are my videos getting so few views then?
    I've been doing videos like that for a long time now, however despite them doing at least a bit better than everything else, don't produce any actual growth for my channel. Even getting 1 new sub from those videos is a huge achievement even though they can get 10x the views of my normal videos.
    I do have a 2nd channel but not in my native language. I never wanted to do videos in my native language as there is simply a bigger market for English content, and Pokemon in particular is almost unheard of in my home country. However somehow I have a video on my 2nd channel that almost 2x the amount of views as the most popular video on my main channel.
    I do already advertise on social networks and everywhere I can, yet it hasn't helped at all so far.
    The main reason I do so many videos is simply because it increases the chances of my channel potentially being seen, and even that additional small chance is worth a lot given my channel's extremely slow growth. Fatiguing new subscribers isn't really an issue as I don't get any new subscribers. I got a total of two in the past two months. And I have tried livestreaming a few times before, but I stopped as no one watched them.

4. kunicross

kunicross Active Member

Your channel trailer should give people an idea what to expect from your channel - not to many people will watch it anyway but even a simple trailer ist better than having just some random video there.

It might be worth to invest some time there - I would guess TCG is probably the smallest part of the brand - maybe broaden up a bit with pokemon lore and such.

I would guess other channels do rank higher and there isn't enough search volume - also for pre-breakthrough channel you usually get more views from recommendations than direct search so some cooperation with other channels might help a bit.

As far as I see it your conversion rate is pretty low so more views is actually good - if you go to your analytics (set it to something like last 365 days or lifetime) -> Subscribers tab and click there onto "Youtube Watch page" you can actually see which videos brought you and lost you how many subscribers - really useful tool that.

Well that is purely from the view of another European - the truth is some things are easier in your native language and some are more difficult - for example it´s usually harder to be intentionally funny in a 2nd or 3rd language - for me some thoughts and ideas are easier to put into English and some are easier in my native thong (I also have a 3rd portuguese channel but my portuguese is far inferior to my English) - Just try it out! Especially if no one does it it might be worth it - see it as a fun and minimum effort project - of course the market is much smaller but being the market leader on a small market is much better than being a nobody on a big market.
    I often do the same video on both channels and publish them a bit offset so I´m not in competition with myself - but that saves a lot of time by duplication of effort.

For me my secondary channel has "only" 72 subscribers with 69 videos but makes about half as much views / watchtime as my main channel and I would already make decent money off it if YouTube had not gone for 1000 subs...

It's not so much about advertisement - it's about community - I would absolutely imagine that I got a decent amount of subscribers just from trying to be a helpful part of this forum and community there. ( I joined about a year ago when I finally made 100 subs)

In my village/small town we have a guy who mostly films local football games - but he is also very active and posting in the "official" citys facebook group - well have a big village festival and the major named him "official correspondent" for that festival (or something of that like) because he filmed many of the band performances last year. (Guess I´ll have to go and talk with him this year around, last time I was too timid ;))

It´s true and wrong - for example I started a extended vlog series last year and now looking at the analytics I can clearly see that I lost a couple of new subscriber to that right away - guys who probably subbed for some of my tech stuff and where turned down by the change of direction.

Really take a close look into that Subscriber analitic I talked about earlier - one part is getting new subscribers and the other one is keeping them hooked - I really wouldn't do more like a video every 2 days because the guys who really would watch your videos will start ignoring them and many other unsubscribe straight away. Also even the most loyal subscriber will watch a video every day.

You could try to serialize your content more or make videos more dedicated to your existing subs and others to a broader audience.

If you do 6 videos a week and those 6 videos to tank - you really should overthink that strategy.

5. avrona

avrona Member

That I know. The part I am asking about is what should actually be in it? What should be happening both visually and audibly.
    Recommendations are actually one of my lowest view sources, providing only 6.4% of the views in the last 28 days and only 6.1% in the last 7 days.
    I checked and only a few of my subscribers come from the really successful videos (100+ views). Most of the videos with a high amount of subs gained are all less popular openings.
    That's not what it's like at all. I lived in England for 11 years, learned the language at the age of 5, and went to school here for 11 years. It's not like I just used Duolingo or something to learn basic English or whatever.
    The problem is that analytics tell me people mainly subscribe from the openings. The problem however is that I can't make them that often due to the high costs. I only bought 3 things in the last 7 months that weren't Pokemon TCG products for the channel, 1 of which was still something for the channel. I spent all the money I have in the past 7 months just on products for the channel yet I still can only make time from time to time.
    The thing is I am not trying to make those videos do badly, they just do for some reason, and I can't figure out why.