Strategy Utilizing Facebook Video for YouTube

Discussion in 'Content Strategies' started by Shawn Gossman, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Active Member TubeBuddy Legend

Facebook has its own video service. You upload clips to Facebook and the social networking giant will turn it into a Facebook hosted video, much like YouTube. Now you might be thinking to yourself, why would I want to use Facebook Video when I am trying to market my YouTube Channel. I can tell you this; it is a good idea to use both enterprises. Now YouTube should obviously be your main market, of course. But how I use Facebook Video is by doing this…

I create short 2-3 minute trailers for videos upcoming on YouTube and then I upload them to Facebook. In turn, I post the video uploaded on Facebook on my YouTube Channel’s Facebook fan page. It keeps them on Facebook while also shouting out my upcoming video on YouTube. It is a win/win for both YouTube and Facebook marketing.

I hope this strategy helps you!

2. Jay

Jay Active Member TubeBuddy User

Thanks for this strategy, but do you have more specifics of how the process will work? I'm absolutely ignorant towards the topic of Facebook videos. How do you market them? Do they use tags? Do they use hashtags? What seems to be the best SEO tactics for Facebook? How would you share the videos?

These questions are a starting point, but it would be great if you could walk us through your process of uploading the Facebook videos. Thanks for laying down the insight for the strategy :)!

3. DragoNate

DragoNate Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

I think you can use hashtags when you post the video, same as sharing a picture and adding a comment along with it, but the video itself, I can't even remember if they use tags or not... I know nothing about the hidden meta data on Facebook. I think there's tags you can add, but it might only be specifics. Like, you can't make up your own tags or something.

Draconicrose likes this.
  4. Draconicrose

Draconicrose Member

I'm trying out this strategy (though using very short clips). Seems to be slightly working, at least in terms of post reach. Facebook videos do have tags for metadata, but they're defined by Facebook.

DragoNate and Jay like this.
  5. DragoNate

DragoNate Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

Mmm, I think that's what I was trying to get at with the tags. You can't just type in whatever you want, like on YouTube, right? Facebook will pop up with certain words and it's almost like categories?

Draconicrose likes this.
  6. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Active Member TubeBuddy Legend

I'm only just starting to utilize this strategy. I just think it is good to use based on what I have read. Facebook will likely show your FB-hosted video more so than a video leading away from their website to YouTube. So I feel like it is a great way to cross promote if you will. I think using all the tools provided by social media to help support your YouTube channel is worth it which is what I have been doing lately. Most of my traffic actually comes from Facebook when speaking on external source terms. So I figure I will try to invest more into it. :)
    --- Post updated ---
    Here is one of my Facebook promo videos. Not trying to spam here just giving everyone a sort of idea of what I am doing :)

DragoNate likes this.
  7. xingcat

xingcat Active Member TubeBuddy Star

Top Poster Of Month

When you upload a video to a Facebook page (not your personal page, I don't think), the uploader asks you for tags and allows a specific (fairly short) number to choose from. You can also pay to promote your videos, if they're something advertising something. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, since it counts someone scrolling long enough for the video to start playing as a "view," which is a bit of a pain.

I've noticed that people interact a lot more with either Facebook videos or a photo uploaded to Facebook with a link to a video than an embedded YouTube video, which Facebook tends to .... let's say "not promote," to be polite. :)

DragoNate likes this.