Seeking Advice topics to talk about?

Discussion in 'Content Strategies' started by wowgames, Sep 4, 2017.

1. wowgames

wowgames New User

Hello everyone :).

I have been wanting to start making gaming videos.

But have been stuck on writing a script.

is their certain topics i should be focused on. or can i just talk about anything.

and how much do you talk about. before having a break. and then start talking again.

or do you just completely talk. non stop. until your videos done.

Andrew likes this.
  2. Dallas Dogs

Dallas Dogs Member TubeBuddy User

You should start producing a few episodes and this will help you develop your style. Your style should be somewhat unique and also be driven by what you enjoy and what you want to accomplish with your show. It may take some time and a few tries to really figure it out. It may also change over time as you develop your style.

Once you get a grasp on your style and how you want to produce your show, you should try to be relatively consistent with it. Being consistent will help you keep regular viewers as people who watch your videos will expect to see more of the same style of video and return for that reason.

One thing is certain. No one can tell you what style you should adopt to do your show. You need to experiment and start making videos and figure out what works best for you and your growing audience.

After you've made two or three videos, try posting them here for feedback. You may get some helpful advice from the forum.

3. wowgames

wowgames New User

Thanks Dallas dogs. i will keep this in mind. im thinking about how i should develop and go about my style. but like you said. start producing a few episodes. and post here for feeback. is the best way to go. opinions are always appreciated :)

Dallas Dogs likes this.
  4. Dallas Dogs

Dallas Dogs Member TubeBuddy User

Yes. I promise you: The first time you produce a completed video and step away and watch it in its entirety, you will have your own feedback and ideas come flooding to you on what you want to do next time.

5. xingcat

xingcat Member Member of the Month

Top Poster Of Month

In terms of how much to talk, remember that you can shape your video in editing as much as in the script writing. So if you're a rambling type of talker (I totally am...I talk a LOT), you can go back to your footage and cut out the bits that don't help your video flow. I'd say take a look at the channels you admire and see how they've cut their video so that a story emerges. Often, you can see where the cuts are made by where someone looks like they may have had more to say, but then they go to the next thing. That's often cutting out "filler."

It can take time and practice, but I find it's better to start with more footage/narration/whatever than you need and cut down, rather than being stuck in editing without enough.

6. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

I look at what my analytics say, what people say I should create, and what I like. It's a balancing act, so you should do your best to try to create hero, hub, and help content!

Ikerot likes this.
  7. wowgames

wowgames New User

Great advice as always xingcat :). i think i understand now. you create your story to flow with the bits you've edited out
    --- Post updated ---
    Thanks Andrew. ill keep an eye out on Analytics. but. I don't understand what hero, hub, and help content is. care to tell me more? :)

8. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

http://watchablefilms.com/hero-hub-help/

Explains :D

9. DragoNate

DragoNate Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

Coming up with a script for gaming videos is very difficult. I would much rather watch a video where the person talks about what's happening on the game than talking about something unrelated. Otherwise, it's kind of a disconnect because then the viewer can't focus on what's happening in the game because you're talking about something unrelated.
    You can either commentate everything that you're doing or what's happening on the game, or wait until there's something interesting or cool, exciting, something that's frustrating you.

10. Ikerot

Ikerot Well-Known Member TubeBuddy User

What kind of video are you making where you have to write a script? Is it an analysis video or is it a lore video? If it's a plain and simple let's play, then it's not needed. Commentary, on the other hand, I could see it needing a script, although if it's already pre-recorded, I'd say take notes on each scene and what to say on it. I know Critikal does that sometimes.

You should focus on the topic at hand and if you do go off topic, try to segue back into the said topic. It's also fine if you venture off into something else as long as it relates (and again, for you to come back to the og topic).

I find that you have to have find the right tempo. You talk too fast, it flies right in people's ear and right out the other. You talk too slow and people are bored out of their mind. And sometimes if you're saying something of importance or as such, you should give a second or two to let it sink in before continuing on.

Again, I don't know what kind of videos you are making exactly.

But as @Dallas Dogs said, take your time to find your style. Come back to us with your first video (not in this thread though lol) and we'll give you our opinions on it.

Dallas Dogs likes this.