Seeking Advice To Facecam, or not to Facecam?

Discussion in 'Content Strategies' started by Cabbitude, May 10, 2018.

1. Cabbitude

Cabbitude Newbie Member

To Facecam, or not to Facecam, that is the question.

Whether tis nobler in the mind to face the slings and arrows of shallow internet trolls, or suck it up and display yourself proudly, And by opposing end them?

I've noticed that youtube gamers, like myself, who happen to have a bloody ton of subscribers, unlike myself, often tend to use webcams or some other means to record themselves. Granted they are also ridiculously energetic and/or outrageously attractive, unlike myself who tends to be somewhat analytical yet still (god I hope) relatively entertaining in my approach to gaming and... not... coverperson-worthy in the looks department.

While youtube gamers, like myself, who happen to avoid the use of webcams or other recording devices aimed directly at their faces to take in every gaping pore and un-tweased browhair, yet capable of intriguing and generally entertaining dialog (hopefully like myself)... tend to get the shorter end of the stick, regardless of how often they post or how hard they work at their channel.

Think Markiplier v. Cryaotic, if you'd like two very big name examples. Mark has 20million subs after years of work. Cryaotic, despite being a fascinating specimen and genuinely praised by multiple 'famous' youtubers with ridiculous sub numbers, has only a TENTH of that (yes 2 million is 1 tenth of 20 million, I even googled to make sure) and has been working for as long, if not longer than Markiplier (factoring in Mark's original channel and time on Twitch, they've both been at it for nearly a decade and some spare change)

(TL;DR) So I'm curious - Are you more prone to subbing to someone you can see? Or is a good set of pipes all you need?

2. Tito Tim

Tito Tim Active Member

I used to try and keep the camera pointed at the scenery... I do expat/travel vlogs. I never cared for the "talking head" vids...but most viewers seem to prefer them. I made some videos where I turned the camera on myself, and as ugly as I am, the views (and subs) went up. So I try to mix em up. Some of me, some of the scenery.

People want to make a connection. When they see you, it is more like talking to a friend, I think. I get a lot better response with a talking head vid...

Cabbitude likes this.
  3. Cabbitude

Cabbitude Newbie Member

You're not an ugly guy :yum Took a peek at your site and the new channel about chronic pain and whatnot. I seriously thought about putting together a channel that was a little more blatantly personal, and there's a chance the channel might open up a bit more in time, but with my anxiety issues it was hard to just dive right into that. Heck, the first couple playlists I completed for the channel involved introducing myself with stupid names instead of my own because it felt... idk, safer... But I'm getting more comfortable as time goes on, hence the sudden interest in facecams, plus it seemed like a reasonable dialog to get started and see where it goes. But I always give massive kudos to people who can just open up right out of the gate like that (though I did giggle at 'there's a spider walking on my glasses' ;))

Back on topic, I've submitted the post on reddit and CGN as well and that seems to be the general response (though people /say/ they'll sub regardless of facecam presence or not) but in the end it's the people with cams that get the most subs and those who answer the post usually state the same thing you did, that the cam just allows people to connect better than they would with just the voice and personality.

Thank you again for responding!

4. DragoNate

DragoNate Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

I personally care more about a person's personality rather than how they look. Even people who are unattractive to me (NOT ugly, just not what I am drawn to) can still gain my attention just because of their personality. If the personality/attitude is ugly, then it doesn't even matter what they look like to me, I'm gone.

On a side note, I use facecam for gaming as well and one thing I don't like is that my face is almost always monotone. Or so it feels. Maybe that has its own personality? I just wish I didn't have to sometimes force a facial response to some things :p

Cabbitude and Ikerot like this.
  5. Ikerot

Ikerot Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

I agree. Even if a person might be attractive, that'll only gather surface fans who are superficial. However, if their personality isn't good, then people aren't going to stay for long. Or at least for me anyways.

I have facecam on, but sometimes I don't want to because it's just a lot of work :p Gotta set up the green screen, gotta put up the light, and then I gotta put up with the light in my face for 2 hours.

DragoNate likes this.
  6. DragoNate

My green screen is permanent. It's a green sheet of fabric that I've pinned into the ceiling :p
    My light is a simple gooseneck lamp that I move 4 inches (from behind my monitor) and turn on lol

7. Cabbitude

Cabbitude Newbie Member

The 'monotone face' thing is something I've heard of a few times when I've researched into facecams for gamers and how the 'audience' responds to things. I've seen a LOT of gamers mention how they have to kind of "overdo" things to get it to come across on the camera. If you're not accustomed to that sort of... idk... 'facial miming' it can feel really forced and ridiculous. So it's definitely not just you.

I imagine that's a pain in the backside, definitely! You brought up another concern I've had as well when you mentioned the lights. I have SUPER sensitive eyes and chronic migraines that can be triggered very easily if a really bright light shines in my eyes for an extended amount of time. I have a light that's over my monitor pretty much all the time because I can't be on the computer with the overhead light on, but it's facing the wall (so it looks sort of backlit) and that helps keep the area illuminated without an unpleasant result. I imagine that if I ever did use a facecam I'd probably have to get some kind of low light camera or something just to be reasonably visible :confused:

DragoNate likes this.
  8. Ikerot

I have a green screen that I hang. I don't have to take it down, but I do have to adjust it from time to time. I got a ring light (lol) + another light on the opposite side.

I actually had a problem with facecam during my livestreams. I'd get these headaches after 10 - 20 minutes and my eyes hurt. Afterwards, I bought these computer glasses and they've helped me immensely. I know some people with super sensitive eyes end up just wearing sunglasses lol

DragoNate likes this.
  9. Cabbitude

Cabbitude Newbie Member

Good point about the sunglasses. I wear tinted lenses anyway and use a filter program on my computer to handle blue light problems. It's the intensity that causes migraines when it comes to light being shone in my face... Hadn't thought about wearing shades to record though, might have to try that sometime. Should get less ridiculous sunglasses first though o_O the ones I have now are practically aviator size and they clip over my regular glasses and look almost comically oversized for my face :cool:

10. Ikerot

Have you considered computer glasses?

11. Cabbitude

Cabbitude Newbie Member

The "Tinted lenses" I refer to in my previous post are 'computer glasses'. But again, they don't fix the intensity of the light, they just filter the blue light so it's not a problem anymore. Bright lights are still bright lights.

12. DragoNate

Oooh, a ring light! Where'd you get it and how much did it cost? I really want one, but everything I see is usually around $200 or more.
    Yeah I imagine a lot of people have the same problem. My issues is mainly my eyes. My mouth may look excited but my eyes are just normal or half asleep lol. It's like "I'm so excited I'm falling asleep here!" I've kinda gotten used to it and don't really let it bother me anymore. It's how it is, so I'm just gonna go with it and not force it.

Cabbitude likes this.
  13. Ikerot

ah whoops, sorry lol

I bought one by Neewer on Amazon for around $58. I did make the mistake of buying the undimmable one >_< that's why it's so bright all the time lol.

DragoNate likes this.
  14. DragoNate

Oh geez, I should have looked at Neewer... I got the mic arm and pop filter from them for cheap. It's cheap stuff, but not really bad quality. Definitely recommend.

15. bobi

bobi Newbie Member

What i learn from YT master classes is much better to use face cam no matter who are you and how you look
    your subscribers are watching your videos because of your personality . There are millions videos like your mine and everyone else but people mostly subscribe because of your content and your personality .

16. kunicross

kunicross Active Member

We had a somewhat similar discussion last year: https://community.tubebuddy.com/ind...-should-never-show-your-face-on-youtube.5941/

I think in the end it does come down to personal preference to a degree - both having your face in there and not having it can work quite good.

It probably comes down to personal strength and convince - if you have a "good" voice (pleasant to listen to) your face is not that important while if you have good looks it might help showig them. (also if you need to do makeup for hours before recording it might somtimes just be easier to just show stuff POV with your hands...)

DragoNate likes this.
  17. Ceorge_Christofi

Ceorge_Christofi Member TubeBuddy Star

I have been thinking about this too. Most of the channels I follow it is the item on the bench that gets the screen time, not the guy doing the fix. I know that for one or two channels I have no idea what the creator looks like. It doesn't stop me enjoying the content though. I try and mix it up, normally using the face shot with the workbench as background to explain whats happening or going to happen, and then its cams down on the bench for the interesting bit, the action so to speak.

I have wondered if I should widen the shot, have a cam in front of me but that would create technical problems with bench locations.

18. kunicross

kunicross Active Member

I think to show stuff it often helps having a clear view onto the action - I do many "hands only" videos where I have the tripod basically between my legs - having a wide angle lense (cellphone, go-pro stile camera) makes it possible to get everything into the shot.
    For a more dynamic situation I really like the chest or head mounted action cams because they create a good POV feeling which I kinda enjoy.
    In the end it depends mostly what you want to show and how to fit it into frame - and often having it two or more parts might work best. (for example if you would review a pair of pants it would not work with hands and legs only but if you'd examine the fabric that part would be much better in that configuration while the remaining video would most likely need full body shots.)

19. ProfessorMagus

ProfessorMagus Newbie Member

Honestly, it all depends on what you want to do.... Generally, I do main L.P's without facecam. If I wind up covering some gaming news that I find interesting or I'm doing a channel update, then I use face cam.

20. Ater

Ater Newbie Member

To me it depends on what type of content. Sort version:
    If the game creates a lot of reactions I want to see the cam, if it dosen't or if it's very advanced game play I don't.

Long version:
    If it's a scary game I prefer it to be with cam since I want to see the players reactions. But I mostly watch strategy games and for that I prefer no cam for two reasons. First with strategy games information is often very important so I want to see everything, having a cam blocking a part of the screens means missing out on stuff. Secondly some strategy games are very complex and for that reason I don't want any anything that can steal the focus from what is happening on the screen, your eye gets drawn to the cam and all of a sudden I miss something important hand have to replay that part of the video.