TubeBuddy News The Power of You in YouTube!

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Andrew, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

Hello TubeBuddy Community!

We are excited to have our new TubeBuddy/HEY.com study "Harnessing the Power of ‘You’ in YouTube" reported on by Tubefilter today. Saying "you" in the first five seconds of a YouTube video really does dramatically increase your likes, engagements, and yes, even views. Full study will be made public tomorrow. Here's the Tubefilter story:

http://www.tubefilter.com/2017/02/06/study-say-you-youtube-video-five-seconds/

Let us know what you think!

2. ShuriBear

ShuriBear Active Member TubeBuddy User

Honestly I am a bit skeptical about this study.

The reason why? Well I do not see a correlation between saying the word 'you' and actually clicking on a video with a different kind of thumbnail and title. Those last two things are the reason the most people are going to click on a video anyway. But actually watching a video is another step. How can the audience read that beforehand is the question which comes up in my head. I can understand though if this was the case:
    Saying 'you' in the first five seconds in a Youtube video increases watchtime by x. Because that makes a lot more sense.

BUT because the full study is not online yet and I couldn't read the whole thing obviously my thoughts might change. But for now I am skeptical by the very reason I just said.

3. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

I understand that, and @Phil can give you more insight :)

4. Phil

Phil Administrator Administrator

5. ShuriBear

ShuriBear Active Member TubeBuddy User

Andrew likes this.
  6. Phil

Phil Administrator Administrator

Dane Golden who was in charge of the study wanted to make sure it was done right and backed up by solid data :)

Duy Ngo and Andrew like this.
  7. Terry

Terry New User

I read a study like this a few years a go and it works for more then just YouTube. It works in advertising, stories, articles, everything.

I thought about this whilst writing the script for my first video and the fifth word is you're.

Let's hope it's true.

Dane Golden, Duy Ngo and DragoNate like this.
  8. Michael J Elliott

Michael J Elliott Member

Andrew & Phil,
    Do you think having the word, you in the video title e.g Top ten horror movies you really must see, would also have an impact? I can totally relate to this concept because it was something we briefly touched on in my Marketing Course.
    Thanks for this guys:)

Dane Golden, Duy Ngo and Andrew like this.
  9. Dane Golden

Dane Golden New User

Hi ShuriBear I am a co-author of the study with Phil Starkovich. Your concerns are very rational. I would be skeptical, too, if I hadn't yet seen the data. You can read the study of course and see the data and charts and graphs (http://hey.com/you-in-youtube-study/). But I'll give you a bit more here which I hope will give you a deeper understanding of our approach.

You are absolutely correct in that YouTube ranks videos in its system by Watch Time, which for others reading is a secretive combination of many factors which include how long someone watches a video, how long they stay on YouTube watching more videos after they watch the video in question, and more. Also of note, the "Watch Time" in YouTube analytics - which is clearly measured - and YouTube's secret Watch Time algorithm are two different things, easily confused.

So how do you find out if saying "you" in the first 5 seconds (or 6-10 seconds, or 11-30 seconds) does improve Watch Time? YouTube's not going to give us data to get an exact answer. But we do have access to a number of methods by which we can attempt to triangulate a solution. In other words, we're going to come at it sideways and come up with an approximation.

What I think we do know is that, if you account for a large sample, you will find that instead of views creating good Watch Time, it's the other way around. Instead the algorithm uses Watch Time to determine which videos to give more referral traffic to, essentially sending more views to them. So in that way views and Watch Time ranking (whatever that really is) can be assumed to go up together. In basic terms, if people watch longer, the YouTube algorithm will generally make sure that views go up in a similar ratio.

As far as the thumbnails and titles go, yes they're important to getting clicks, but I think you'll agree that even with good thumbnails/titles, a video can do poorly, because if the Watch Time is low, the algorithm will show the thumbnail less often in Suggested Videos.

In the study, we measured a number of different variations of this against a "control" of no "yous" in the first 30 seconds. Importantly, we found that the earlier and more frequently (to a point) that a version of the word "you" was said, the better the video did in terms of median views. By median I mean we took all the numbers in a given range and took the middle number. Medians can be similar to averages but is generally more accurate and can remove skew. Here is a graph which shows the median views vs the baseline (videos that didn't say "you" in the first 30 seconds at all). You'll see the effect rather dramatically.
    tb-views-variations-23.png
    You can see that the median values appear to rise in an orderly fashion as compared with no "yous." The closer to the beginning of the video, the more views. Also, importantly, we tracked median likes per view and median engagements per view. These were helpful to do as ratios because it makes comparing one video with a lot of views to one with not many views easier. You can see there was also a dramatic improvement in videos that said "you" vs. those that did not, and in many cases it went up in a way to mirror the views. However, the percentage different between the baseline (no "yous") was smaller, generally between 20% and 80%, depending on the situation. OK this graph is a little complicated, sorry:

tb-likes-eng-variations-22.png
    Overall, I agree it's not Watch Time, but I can't think of a closer way of approximating public data. And as astounding as the findings are, I can't seem to find a way the data is wrong.

I hope you find this interesting and helpful, thanks!
    Dane

Duy Ngo, DragoNate and Andrew like this.
  10. DragoNate

DragoNate Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

I really like this study and just today, as I recorded some videos for the next few weeks, I made sure to say "you" in the beginning of introducing the video. We shall see how it goes!
    Honestly, to me it just makes sense that making the video personable to the viewer is going to have a positive impact. It's never something I've ever thought about, but as soon as it's mentioned, I'm like "Yeah, that works! Why wouldn't it?"
    Now it's just about combining these findings with other tactics to make the video personable!

Dane Golden likes this.
  11. Dane Golden

Dane Golden New User

Post here and tell us how they do!

DragoNate likes this.
  12. James123

James123 Newbie Member

This is super interesting. I dont think I say this enough in my videos
    Btw does this account for videos that are full voiceover and nothing else? (no face time)

Also, in my videos I saw 'you guys' often but never just 'you' :no_mouth:
    Think 'You' would be better? :eek:

13. Cybie

Cybie Member

I never really thought about starting a video on YouTube based on this study, but I can definitely understand the "you" factor in live broadcasts every time a new person shows up to watch. I always greet them and try to keep them watching by conversing with the audience. It looks like I might have to take a more "live" approach when trying to have people watch the video longer. This study is a great read.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Dane Golden likes this.
  14. James123

James123 Newbie Member

wow thanks for the detailed reply!
    I will try this out in my next video :D

Are there any plans to do a study on other phrases, like 'subscribe, 'like', or other key words that can increases chances for people to comment on video?

Dane Golden likes this.
  15. Dane Golden

Dane Golden New User

Hi James - so glad you found this interesting. Some background: The idea for this study came because I would see anecdotally that my clients' videos did better when they said some sentence that included the word "you" in the first five seconds, almost always in combination with looking directly at the camera. I wanted to say that this was a proven fact but you can really only do so by looking through a lot of data. I connected with Phil at TubeBuddy and we decided to work on it together - he's so incredible with data queries and his mad skillz as a developer. So we looked through 30,000 videos and came up with some results.

But what did we prove, exactly? What I think we showed was that "you" or its synonyms or contractions (which we rated as equivalent to "you" in our study), happened at the same time as good videos happened. That doesn't mean they caused good videos, but they might rather be the result, or the evidence, of good videos. Meaning, if someone looks at the camera and really engages with the audience right away, the word "you" will likely come up (or the close words like your, yours, you're, you'll, you'd, you've, yourself, yourselves or y'all). We weren't able to track what was on screen when they said "you", whether it was just voiceover to start the video or a person's face looking at the camera and saying "you." But my experience leads me to believe that "you" from a voiceover would be better than not saying "you" at all, but a visible face looking at the camera saying "you" would be the best. To prove this, though, we'd need to use different and better tech/data than we had access to.

We also didn't test in what combination the word "you" should be used. We don't know whether "Hey you" is better than "Hey you guys." In the end I think you should try to say it once or twice right at the beginning in some way and not worry too much about how. But if you look at page 24 of the study there will be a number of options we observed. I've you say something at the beginning like "Hey guys today I'm going to show YOU how to fix YOUR..." thats two "yous" and should have a good result. The content still has to be good of course, and "you" has to be in context - you can't just say "you, you, you" and have it work.

Here's some the many examples from page 24 of the study, which you can find here: http://hey.com/you-in-youtube-study -
    "I'm going to show YOU a little trick. What YOU do is…"
    "If YOU work in..."
    "If YOU're an XYZ, this video is for YOU."
    "The technique YOU're going to learn today is…"
    "Maybe YOU've seen…"
    "Suppose YOU want to…"

Hope you find this helpful!
    Dane

you-word-cloud-1200.png
    --- Post updated ---
    Hi Cybie I'm so glad you liked the study. We didn't track live videos in this study, but I think you're right in that it's a little different. In live you can actually call people by their name (or screen name) so you don't actually have to say "you" except in the plural. But each live streamer of course has to make their own judgment about how long they want to spend shouting out people's names and how much they want to do whatever the content is. What I think carries over from non-live is that you need to connect with your audience instead of ignoring them.

Thanks for reading!
    Dane
    --- Post updated ---
    Hi Terry do you happen to have a link to this study or a download of it. I'd be very interested to read it. If you find it please let me know, thanks!
    --- Post updated ---
    Michael we just didn't test for titles. It was just for video content. But it stands to reason that it would be helpful if in context and not too long. Copywriters use "you" a lot, and the title is essentially promotional copy.
    --- Post updated ---
    Hi James - I don't know as it was a ton of work. But for my own interests I would be interested in if videos do better using the word "how" vs. "why" vs. "what" both in the title and in the first few seconds. I help businesses with how-to videos, and YouTube has said that how-to is extremely good. But exactly how much better. Right now though I think it would be hard to allocate the time again so soon.

DragoNate likes this.
  16. DragoNate

DragoNate Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

Well, so far things seem to be going quite well! I only have about 2 videos to really look at for this as I only upload once a week. Live streams can be done the same way, but I usually prefer to call people by name because I have a pretty small audience and can do that :)

I'm definitely going to keep up this YOU thing though! I find that, even if nothing else, I feel more lively and interesting saying it. I'm also trying to come up with more unique things to say. For example, I recently recorded gameplay having to do with vikings and so I started by saying "Well hello all you vikings out there! I hope you're having a great day!"

Andrew and Dane Golden like this.
  17. Dane Golden

Dane Golden New User

Great to hear! Keep it up!

DragoNate likes this.
  18. Origami VTL

Origami VTL New User

Gonna Try This :D

19. GetThePicture

GetThePicture New User

I have read a a study about this too. I dont use it for all my videos but I try to keep it in mind

20. Eric Burdon

Eric Burdon Newbie Member

I know saying you in there helps out a fair bit in anything social media. Twitter has done some research on it and a lot of marketers as well say putting "you" in there helps out a lot. As for me I use "you" in all of my videos. My channel is all about growth and I use it in my brand ("Helping YOU grow"). I've been mixing up my intro and I don't think I use it lately but I should be tweaking my intro a little to say that more since I've kind of stopped saying it in my intro.